PDA

View Full Version : Leapers UTG scopes anyone used em ?

takinflight33
03-18-2012, 7:33 PM
just wondering if anyones used Leapers utg scopes and how they are in terms of quality for the money im looking at the 1-4 zoom with quick detach mounts in particular any feedback is appreciated

tomd1584
03-18-2012, 7:39 PM
They are cheap crap.

notme92069
03-18-2012, 7:42 PM
They are cheap crap.

Yep.

Try Primary Arms.

RugerFanRyan
03-18-2012, 7:42 PM
They are cheap crap.

QFT

I bought a red dot to try to get used to electronic sights. Put it on my SR22 rifle and regret it. Sticking with irons. Get a vortex. Not too expensive from what I've seen, and I see a lot of positive reviews.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

TNP'R
03-18-2012, 7:44 PM
Bushnell scopes and red dots are pretty decent and not that expensive.

Peter.Steele
03-18-2012, 7:52 PM
just wondering if anyones used Leapers utg scopes and how they are in terms of quality for the money im looking at the 1-4 zoom with quick detach mounts in particular any feedback is appreciated

Anything that says Leapers or UTG on it should be avoided like ... I can't think of many other things that should be that thoroughly avoided.

They're utter s**t.

TNP'R
03-18-2012, 7:57 PM
Anything that says Leapers or UTG on it should be avoided like ... I can't think of many other things that should be that thoroughly avoided.

They're utter s**t.

I wouldn't say that for ALL their products. Scopes and red dots maybe I never tried them but I have a UTG quad rail on my saiga and its pretty good.

skibuff
03-18-2012, 8:29 PM
They are cheap and work OK. If your life dosn't depend on the gun and you just want an inexpencive scope for plinking it will work fine. I've used their mounts and several of their scopes and they work the bullet hits where the + is everytime. They are nowhere near as clear and are more difficult to get to focus than the high end scopes but they are also 1/4 the price.

jvpark
03-18-2012, 8:36 PM
I have the bug hunter... Think that is the name. It's a fixed 6power and perfect for my 22 rifle. Would not trust it anymore than sitting on my 22.

elsolo
03-18-2012, 8:40 PM
They make airsoft toys, nothing more.
Just because you can attach it to a real gun, doesn't make it suitable for such.

five.five-six
03-18-2012, 8:44 PM
I have never played airsoft, but I hear it is fun

Mossy Man
03-18-2012, 8:48 PM
some of their hardware stuff seems to be ok...i've used a few of leaper's rails and stuff like that. i don't see any real difference between a $7 leaper's/UTG picatinny rail versus a $40 one.

I had a UTG accessory rail for my mossberg 590, it worked fine. When I got rid of the shotgun, I moved the rail onto my 10/22's underside of the stock and made it fit.....works.

Some basic things that don't have any moving parts are probably fine as long as they copy whatever it is they are copying well.

Now, the same cannot be said for mini-14 scope mount......

takinflight33
03-18-2012, 9:46 PM
alright ill be forgetting their scopes

osis32
03-18-2012, 9:50 PM

They're utter s**t.

the plague. aids. know it all liberals. lots of things come to mind.

Colt-45
03-18-2012, 9:53 PM
What you guys talking about, they're just as good as a nightforce ;)

fcr
03-18-2012, 10:16 PM
UTG is a waste of money, it will fail.

weber_2
03-19-2012, 4:28 AM
I have a Leapers scope on my Remy 308 and it works perfectly fine. I wouldn't take it into battle but it works great while at the range.

Fobjoe
03-19-2012, 7:00 AM
I have a leapers UTG on my beeman air rifle. Good enough to hit quarter sized .22 gallery targets from 40 feet.

the86d
03-19-2012, 7:15 AM
I got one because it was inexpensive, but I have never used an expensive scope. The Red/Green reticle illumination is cheap, but the scope works very well on my AR, and also used it while waiting for a taller mount (while AR mount was in transit) my pellet gun. The mount that came on it was for a weaver rail, but after replacing it all is good.

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/UTG-3-9x40-Rubber-Armored-Mil-Dot/dp/B000FX307M/ref=sr_1_8?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1332169702&sr=1-8

I bought this off of eBay for about $50 including shipping and have had ZERO issues with it on my AR (5.56 green tipped hot loaded NATO, and .223 both). No screwdriver required, but a knob adjustment on this which is a bonus for me... Maybe 1000rd so far. I even read a review for this inexpensive scope that someone used it on a .308, or a 30-06 (I can't remember which it was) with no issues. I have only used it to 100yd, but will be testing to 250yd this month hopefully.

I WILL buy their products again.

m16
03-19-2012, 8:32 AM
I would avoid companies like Leapers and NC Star, sure it's cheap but it's usually crap.

If you are on a tight budget, look at the Mueller 1-4x.

They run around $250 but in my opinion the quality is better than the scope you are inquiring about.

calif 15-22
03-19-2012, 8:50 AM
I bought this Leapers scope from Opticsplanet for my M&P 15-22 (.22lr)

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-utg-3-12x44mm-swat-ie-ao-mildot-ez-tap-water-proof-riflescope.html

Seems decently made and was priced right as it includes mounts. So far so good, and it looks good on the 15-22. I don't use the fancy colors but you can change the cross hair colors to any of 32 colors.

Would I go into battle with it . . .NO.
Would I mount it on a .223 . . . Maybe (for range and plinking)
Would I buy it again . . . Probably not. I would save $200 more for a Nikon.

I recently bought a Nikon M-223 (3x12x42 BDC) for my DDM4. $350 plus $99 for the mount. Very happy so far.
I'm also going to replace the Leapers with a Nikon P-22 for the 15-22.

Nikon has the P series out now more more budget scope. So far very happy with the Nikon product.

Good luck . . .

cantcme
03-19-2012, 4:16 PM
Check the weaver v3. Good price, proven on big recoil guns and goes down to true zero magnification for cqb have one on my hbar ar and love it very compact.

vintagedude88
03-19-2012, 8:26 PM
I've had the Leapers Accushot 1-4x28 scope for three years. Its been a solid performer. Take a look around on the Net, there are good reviews for that scope by many others. This is the one I have. http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=optic&level1=Long_Eye_Relief&level2=&itemno=SCP3-1428L1&status=&mtrack=4m

Another good scope that is also quite inexpensive is Simmons. I have a 44Mag scope on my Saiga .308

There's a lot of bias towards high price scopes on this board. You don't have to have a $500 plus scope to be able to shoot well and reliably at the range. Even names like Bushnell, BSA, etc have junk scopes. Shop around and get real opinions.

If you were shopping for a sports car and asked if a Camaro was any good and everyone told you that its crap compared to a Lamborghini or a Ferrari does that mean you have to have the higher end cars? Buy according to your budget and buy smart.

weber_2
03-20-2012, 5:05 AM
^What he said. Unless you are competitive target shooting a sniper, hunter or just like spending lots of money on a scope the Leapers will be fine.

h0use
03-20-2012, 10:00 AM
if your on a budget, check out, lucid, vortex, or primary arms. all very good and afordable. customer service on all 3 companys are great!

gun toting monkeyboy
03-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Their scopes are crap. Cheap Chinese junk that has been screened for quality control by people that make the drunken monkeys at Century Arms look competant. I have seen them fall apart out of the box. I have seen them with cants on the crosshairs of close to 15 degrees. Don't waste your money on them.

That being said, I will give them credit for their rails and buffer tubes. They have set up a shop here in the US that makes these, and they are surprisingly good for their price point. Unlike their old rails that were heavy, out of spec, and probably made out of recycled cans, their new rails are only slightly heavier than most. And they actually work reasonably well. I doubt DD has anything to worry about. But at least they have finally moved out of the "airsoft only" catagory for their hardware. Their scopes still suck though.

-Mb

The War Wagon
03-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Do much "SEARCH?" ;)

Leapers/UTG/Barska/NcSTAR/BSA are part of the "axis of evil" among black rifle owners. They like to take your money, $69.95 at a time, and leave you utterly defenseless at the moment of truth, with broken reticles, misaligned dots, and broken internals, because their airsoft crapola can't handle actual rifle recoil. :mad:

Pinch - PINCH - your pennies, until they scream, and then buy a used, if necessary, optic from one of the big three - Aimpoint/EOTech/Trijicon. Aimpoint Comp M/ML2's are ridiculously cheap now, since the Aimpoint Pro came out, and will serve you QUITE well, since they've been serving in Iraq & Afghanistan for years now.

Check the equipment exchange of this, and other gunboard sites, and I'm sure you'll find a nice one, for $300 or less. I gave $250 for one WITH a QRP mount a few years ago. I'm STILL using it.

LovingTheYear1911
03-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Funny because my Barska on my AR has been perfect for over a year now and still holding zero and I'm still using the original battery.

I don't want to spend tons of money in a red dot to shoot at paper 50 or 100 yards away. Sorry I'm not cool like that. Instead I spent 90 bucks and do everything a T1 can do. Obviously my AR is for plinking and I'm not planning on dropping it off a helicopter for my optic to survive.

Merc1138
03-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Funny because my Barska on my AR has been perfect for over a year now and still holding zero and I'm still using the original battery.

I don't want to spend tons of money in a red dot to shoot at paper 50 or 100 yards away. Sorry I'm not cool like that. Instead I spent 90 bucks and do everything a T1 can do. Obviously my AR is for plinking and I'm not planning on dropping it off a helicopter for my optic to survive.

Congratulations, your 1 experience obviously makes up for the thousands of people who have had serious issues with the products from either a reliability(breaking, failing to keep zero, etc.) or a usability(consistent adjustments, clarity of glass) standpoint.

Sorry, but you basically played the optics lottery and won $5. That's good for you(I'm serious. If it works for you, great. But consider yourself lucky and not the norm), but doesn't change that the bulk of people who play end up just tossing their scratchers in the trash or maybe won an extra ticket to and eventually tossed that in the trash.

SureShot241
03-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Bushnell scopes and red dots are pretty decent and not that expensive.

^ THIS ^

Btw TNP, That is one good looking rifle in your sig. I have that exact red dot, but am currently selling it due to its size (absolutely love the site though)

ExtremeX
03-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Leapers/UTG/Barska/NcSTAR/BSA.....

I hate to admit it, because wise people, like the members on this forum warned me about these brands, yet I spent my hard earned cash on these brands more than once when I was starting out in this hobby because I couldn't fathom spending large amounts of money on optics; I mean, how bad can it be right...

I was on a budget, wanted cheap, and it cost more time, money, aggravation, and ammo.

My NcStar pistol scope broke (reticle shattered) under regular use on a U22 Neos Pistol.

Barska zoom ring stopped functioning on a scope which was mounted to an AR + glass clarity is terrible

NcStar green/red dot was just total junk, still works, wont hold zero.

Replica Eotech was just a solid waste of $40 + ammo, I recently just threw it in the garbage because I couldn't live with myself selling it to someone.

Realistically, for not that much more money, I could have bought optics from reputable brands and saved myself a lot of grief and money. This venture cost me a lot in the long run. I'm not saying go out any buy Nightforce optics or a real eotech, primary arms RDS became my go-to brand for a budget RDS. Vortex Crossfire or Diamondback series scopes are affordable good quality scopes. Same can be found from Nikon, Bushnell, even Millet has great value budget product.

Its your money, do what you like, but people here have been there and done that, its up to you to figure if its worth playing lottery with your optics for a small savings.

After doing this exercise, and replacing it with decent stuff, It becomes a game changer, even for the plinker / range enthusiast. Optics are a big deal, and in my humble opinion, optics make the rifle. Its the same reason I wont put $50 tires on a sports car or a slow hard drive in a high end computer. Your system is only as good as your weakest component.

TNP'R
03-20-2012, 12:53 PM
^ THIS ^

Btw TNP, That is one good looking rifle in your sig. I have that exact red dot, but am currently selling it due to its size (absolutely love the site though)

Yeah I had no problems with that red dot at all its a solid red dot. I'm thinking about getting a smaller one as well in the future. But the Bushnell that i'm using now, I can't really say to much bad about it.

SureShot241
03-20-2012, 1:00 PM
Yeah I had no problems with that red dot at all its a solid red dot. I'm thinking about getting a smaller one as well in the future. But the Bushnell that i'm using now, I can't really say to much bad about it.

It is a very solid red dot. I think they should come out with a refined version of it, one that is less bulky and has at least 1.5 or 2x zoom.

I think I may purchase a TRS-25 to replace it.

TNP'R
03-20-2012, 1:01 PM
It is a very solid red dot. I think they should come out with a refined version of it, one that is less bulky and has at least 1.5 or 2x zoom.

I think I may purchase a TRS-25 to replace it.

Yeah if it was magnified it would be a lot better. But yeah a micro red dot will probably be my next purchase as far as optics go.

stix213
03-20-2012, 1:09 PM
My only experience with Leapers is their red dots. Bought two of them and my Saiga 7.62x39 broke them both within 200 rounds each just from recoil. 7.62x39 isn't even a heavy recoil round either. The problem developed was the same on both. It was a bad connection between the battery compartment (that you also turn to turn it on and adjust brightness) and the rest of the sight. It starts by blinking off occasionally when firing, and eventually becomes just randomly working or not working.

My TRS-25 has survived just fine so far on my Saiga 12, which has significantly more recoil, and I have a few hundred rounds of .223 through an AR with a Vortex StrikeFire. I'd recommend either for fairly inexpensive red dots. I have never used Primary Arms, but they have a good rep here too. The TRS-25 usually needs a riser when run on an AR.

daveyshooter
03-20-2012, 1:18 PM
Crap they may be but the 4x32 on one of my AR's has held up, so far.
2 years and going. Trips to the range as much as possible, and then some.
If it craps out on me, oh well. I've got more than my use out of it, so far.

LovingTheYear1911
03-20-2012, 2:07 PM
Well I guess I'm the fortunate one cause I am digging my Barska. Although I hate cheap Chinese junk, it's held up and if it dies on me, my 90 bucks have been spent well.

Peter.Steele
03-20-2012, 5:34 PM
There's a lot of bias towards high price scopes on this board. You don't have to have a $500 plus scope to be able to shoot well and reliably at the range. Even names like Bushnell, BSA, etc have junk scopes. Shop around and get real opinions.

If you were shopping for a sports car and asked if a Camaro was any good and everyone told you that its crap compared to a Lamborghini or a Ferrari does that mean you have to have the higher end cars? Buy according to your budget and buy smart.

Personally, I run Primary Arms stuff on my AR. I highly recommend that. I run a Wal-Mart Centerpoint 4-16x on my 10/22. I highly recommend it as well.

Barska / NCStar / Leapers / UTG ... I've tried 'em. I won't try 'em again. I'd rather spend similar - or in some cases less - money on Primary Arms than waste it on anything from the others.

Nobody in their right mind is going to compare a 6-cyl Camaro to a Ferrari. They might, however, compare it favorably to a POS from China.

if your on a budget, check out, lucid, vortex, or primary arms. all very good and afordable. customer service on all 3 companys are great!

^^^^ This.

Well I guess I'm the fortunate one cause I am digging my Barska. Although I hate cheap Chinese junk, it's held up and if it dies on me, my 90 bucks have been spent well.

You should buy a lottery ticket.

AK all day
03-20-2012, 5:46 PM
Has bad wrap but for $40 I put a 4x on my bolt .22 rifle and it's a clear, zero holding scope with mil-dots that don't actually work but can be helpful to an extent.

Merc1138
03-20-2012, 5:46 PM
Nobody in their right mind is going to compare a 6-cyl Camaro to a Ferrari. They might, however, compare it favorably to a POS from China.

Exactly. NCstar/Barska/BSA/UTG/etc. are not the camaro. They are the 1992 Geo Metro. Not everyone is saying you need to blow $500 on a good optic, and the bushnell 3200 is hardly garbage and definitely costs less than $500. The same goes for Redfield(I don't even think they have a model that costs $500 or more), Nikon(plenty in the $150-$250 range), Primary Arms(earned themselves a good reputation for sub $200 products and excellent customer service), Mueller, Weaver, Simmons, and so on get recommended by people on a regular basis for under $200. That's 7 brands I named that produce reasonably priced optics, that you'll find all over this forum without people constantly complaining about them. But for some reason a name brand sub $500 optic is a unicorn to some people.

Of course you could blow $90 on a junk scope and be happy it lasted a year, or spend $150 and have something from a company that actually has customer service and should last many years. But people seem satisfied with making their annual ncstar/bsa/utg/leapers purchase...

vintagedude88
03-20-2012, 8:18 PM
Leapers/UTG/Barska/NcSTAR/BSA.....

I hate to admit it, because wise people, like the members on this forum warned me about these brands, yet I spent my hard earned cash on these brands more than once when I was starting out in this hobby because I couldn't fathom spending large amounts of money on optics; I mean, how bad can it be right...

I was on a budget, wanted cheap, and it cost more time, money, aggravation, and ammo.

My NcStar pistol scope broke (reticle shattered) under regular use on a U22 Neos Pistol.

Barska zoom ring stopped functioning on a scope which was mounted to an AR + glass clarity is terrible

NcStar green/red dot was just total junk, still works, wont hold zero.

Replica Eotech was just a solid waste of $40 + ammo, I recently just threw it in the garbage because I couldn't live with myself selling it to someone.

Realistically, for not that much more money, I could have bought optics from reputable brands and saved myself a lot of grief and money. This venture cost me a lot in the long run. I'm not saying go out any buy Nightforce optics or a real eotech, primary arms RDS became my go-to brand for a budget RDS. Vortex Crossfire or Diamondback series scopes are affordable good quality scopes. Same can be found from Nikon, Bushnell, even Millet has great value budget product.

Its your money, do what you like, but people here have been there and done that, its up to you to figure if its worth playing lottery with your optics for a small savings.

After doing this exercise, and replacing it with decent stuff, It becomes a game changer, even for the plinker / range enthusiast. Optics are a big deal, and in my humble opinion, optics make the rifle. Its the same reason I wont put $50 tires on a sports car or a slow hard drive in a high end computer. Your system is only as good as your weakest component.

Interesting how you lumped Leapers in with Barska and NC Star when you had no experience with Leapers at all.

vintagedude88
03-20-2012, 8:25 PM
Personally, I run Primary Arms stuff on my AR. I highly recommend that. I run a Wal-Mart Centerpoint 4-16x on my 10/22. I highly recommend it as well.

Barska / NCStar / Leapers / UTG ... I've tried 'em. I won't try 'em again. I'd rather spend similar - or in some cases less - money on Primary Arms than waste it on anything from the others.

Centerpoint is made by Leapers. Take a good look at it and compare it the the same Leapers scope. There are no two factories that make the same product. Think GMC truck vs. Chevy truck.;)

How do you think Primary Arms is able to put out an optic at such an affordable price? Its made in China.:eek:

BTW, take a close look at your hand held phone/ smart phone/ tablet, its a POS from China.:p

Noah3683
03-20-2012, 8:37 PM
Neighbor has one on his SCAR :D I'm not gonna go any further with this though.

ExtremeX
03-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Interesting how you lumped Leapers in with Barska and NC Star when you had no experience with Leapers at all.

I have used many optics, including Leapers, but never owned one, so I have not experienced the issues first hand, but I was less than impressed with the overall package. For the price they charge, there are other brands worth considering over them. I much rather own a Redfield scope or a Vortex Crossfire which are all in the same price class and offer superior warranty and support over the brands listed. For not too much more one can get a Vortex Diamondback. Warranty and service are important factors to me. The point of this post was to direct the OP to something that would be a better buy, with better resale and warranty should he ever decide to upgrade or even come across an issue.

p2rider426
03-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Some of their rings and scope bases are pretty nice for the price but the scopes are a waste of moneyf or any decent gun. I use their optics on my pellet guns and my .22 but wouldn't dare put one on a .30-06

p2rider426
03-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Centerpoint is made by Leapers. Take a good look at it and compare it the the same Leapers scope. There are no two factories that make the same product. Think GMC truck vs. Chevy truck.;)

How do you think Primary Arms is able to put out an optic at such an affordable price? Its made in China.:eek:

BTW, take a close look at your hand held phone/ smart phone/ tablet, its a POS from China.:p

Everything you said is QFT

hellraiser
03-21-2012, 12:06 AM
I wouldn't say that for ALL their products. Scopes and red dots maybe I never tried them but I have a UTG quad rail on my saiga and its pretty good.

+1

Although I just had a buddy pick up a scope at show. It was a BSA but the crosshairs started to rotate. I never seen that before.

vintagedude88
03-21-2012, 11:33 AM
I have used many optics, including Leapers, but never owned one, so I have not experienced the issues first hand, but I was less than impressed with the overall package. For the price they charge, there are other brands worth considering over them. I much rather own a Redfield scope or a Vortex Crossfire which are all in the same price class and offer superior warranty and support over the brands listed. For not too much more one can get a Vortex Diamondback. Warranty and service are important factors to me. The point of this post was to direct the OP to something that would be a better buy, with better resale and warranty should he ever decide to upgrade or even come across an issue.

I had a Leapers 4-16X scope which I returned to them under warranty. They returned to me not only a new scope but a newer model. The scope came from their HQ in Michigan, not China. The whole process took no more than a week and although the rep at Leapers handling it was Chinese, it was handled quickly and efficiently with good communication via e-mail.

However, my last scope, which is a Simmons, is even cheaper than Leapers. Got my 4-16x scope with side parallax adjustment for under $100 plus another 25% mail-in rebate from Simmons. So ya, I do shop around.:cool:

roushstage2
03-21-2012, 11:55 AM
I bought a Leapers 4-16x40 recently for ~$65 just to have an extra scope. It has a lifetime warranty. A Redfield 4-12x40 is ~$225. A Vortex Crossfire 4-12x44 is ~$175. Same warranty (I'm assuming the Redfield and Vortex both have a lifetime as well), but definitely not same "price class."

Just sayin' :)