View Full Version : Bushmaster varminter 24 quad rail ?

03-18-2012, 5:50 PM
I know this might not be ideal on the bushmaster varminter 24 but I wanted to see my quad rail options. I just got it out of a trade and currently in the waiting period but I wanted to know what size quad rail I'd be looking at? I like the factory setup but I also like the quad rail setup. Any pics or info is appreciated.
Here she is.. http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/thesource161/ac6cf427.jpg

Knife Edge
03-18-2012, 8:30 PM
I have the same rifle and at one time gave some thought to adding a different handguard. I found others posts indicating that BM installs these handguards with thread locker requiring some localized heat, a bench vice, block and potentially a rubber strap wrench to remove. As such I never really got around to removing the old handguard and swapping the barrel nut for something more modern. My Varminter is fairly hefty with the PRS stock (a great stock) and the 24" barrel makes it awkward to maneuver. As such it sits unchanged in its present form but nevertheless is a great long distance .223 that will punch holes with the best of them. It's official role has been teaching me marksmanship and look forward to getting her out for a prairie dog session up in Salt Lake. In a nutshell, I find the existing handguard sufficient for what the gun is intended to do.

FWIW, the Blackhills 69g SMK run about 2,800 down the chrono and some hand loads with the XBR are pushing Hornady Match 68g around 3,000. The Varminter will make 780y headshots all day long at Pala when I stay focused and do my part. Enjoy it!

03-19-2012, 4:56 AM
Thanks for the info. Was really looking forward to swapping it out.

03-23-2012, 6:42 PM
any others?

03-24-2012, 4:07 AM
i have one too. the rail just twists off like any other. it is locktite on. i used a strap wrench to remove it. you will need the receiver clamshell to hold it in a vise. two people with a good grip could get it loose. its actually two pieces. the barrel nut and then the rail.

**you might get lucky and the previous owner already took it off once before and was smart enough not to put locktite on when he put it back on.**

its just a rifle length quad rail. measure it. there are also extended quad rails that will cover the gas block. see if your current rail will clear the gas block. if it does you wont need a low profile gas block for a extended rail.

03-26-2012, 1:22 PM
Any pics?

Knife Edge
03-27-2012, 1:37 PM
For the cost of a vice, block, torch and wrenches, a place like rifle gear will spin it off for you for a fraction of the price.

04-04-2012, 6:19 AM

Knife Edge
04-04-2012, 8:26 PM
I may be swapping out my barrel in the next month, probably something shorter, 1:8. If so I will ditch the stock handguard.

04-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Let me know. I'd be happy to pick it up if it's what I'm looking for.

04-11-2012, 4:35 PM

Knife Edge
04-11-2012, 8:31 PM
Looks great!