PDA

View Full Version : Russian Army AK Cleaning After Corrosive Ammo

joash
03-18-2012, 6:10 PM
There have got to be some Russians on Calguns or other veterans of Eastern European, Chinese etc. armies?

What was the official cleaning procedure after using corrosive ammo?

I only want to know how it is done abroad, NOT how you personally do it.

I tried searching on this topic, but found only this.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=125286

atakacorp
03-18-2012, 6:18 PM
I use Windex after shooting ,don't be greedy,wipe it douwn after,let it dry and proseed with reguler stuff,works like a charm :).Iknow one Russian(old school)guy he using warm water insted Windex

bob7122
03-18-2012, 6:20 PM
yes! i too wish to know the ever elusive secrets of cleaning all those beautiful weapons behind the big iron curtain.

joash
03-18-2012, 6:27 PM
Just curious. I know the Viet Cong didn't sneak through the jungle with a bottle of Windex at the ready.

atakacorp
03-18-2012, 6:29 PM
Just curious. I know the Viet Cong didn't sneak through the jungle with a bottle of Windex at the ready.

LOL,but again, they didnt use corrosive ammo,Soviets supplied them with good stuff:43:

858casper858
03-18-2012, 6:30 PM
Urine...

bob7122
03-18-2012, 6:34 PM
i hear in soviet russia corrosive ammo doesn't eat away at the gun, the gun eats away at the corrosive ammo...

Gio
03-18-2012, 6:36 PM
Urine...+1

i hear in soviet russia corrosive ammo doesn't eat away at the gun, the gun eats away at the corrosive ammo...+123456789 :D

atsaubrey
03-18-2012, 6:46 PM
Water, plain ole water does the trick. Flush with water, WD40 to remove said water, clean as normal, no rust here.

Freagan
03-18-2012, 7:24 PM
I always thought they just pissed on them :confused:

NorCalK9.com
03-18-2012, 8:22 PM
Ok i'm personally past 14k rounds thru my bulgarian ak74, never did nothing special, didnt even clean it thouroughly just poured royal purple motoroil doen the bore a gas tube, after I hit 12k rounds I broke it down and soaked it for a week in oil.
No rust here either.

J.S.Riesch
03-18-2012, 9:17 PM
The following was mixed in the armory and used during my OCC Naval Infantry training (336-й ОГ БрМП /336-th SG Marine Infantry Brigade, Baltic Fleet 1991):

Potable water, (1Liter)
Carbonic ammonium salt ?, (200 grams)
Bichromate calcium ?, (3-5 grams)

Please keep in mind I am may be wrong on one of these ingredients. It was long, long time ago. This mix was used within a 24 hours. Leftovers were discarded. Only glass containers should be used. This solution only applies to rifle barrel bore, gas block, gas pipe, gas piston and any parts of the rifle directly exposed to hot propellant gases. Cleaning was done immediately after live fire exercises. Solution was applied and everything was wiped dry, then lubricants. 3 different types of lube were used, depending on the season and weather conditions (for winter/summer/all seasons). I do not recall their specs. There was a second solution more potent then listed above. That one got more complex chemical structure and usually came premixed from the factory. Thank God for Windex! Nowadays I use it first, spray it generously down to the bore and all the parts mentioned above. It works wonders on my Saiga and Mosin. Hope it helps. :)

digdug74
03-19-2012, 12:59 AM
You guys clean your AKs?? Eh, well, whatever... I guess if that's how the kids are doing it these days...

Seriously though, any commonly available cleaner should be fine (CLP, Hoppe's #9, whatever). I bought an SA85 in '99 before the ban went through. Shot it pretty regularly for the next few years and then got more into handguns. Put the AK away after about an 800 round shooting session in 2003-2004 using some Wolf ammo and didn't bother cleaning it. Barely looked at the rifle for years therearfter. Broke it out a few months ago, cleaned it up, and all looks fine. No rust or pitting that I can tell. Shoots as good as it ever did.

Freagan
03-19-2012, 1:22 AM
You guys clean your AKs?? Eh, well, whatever... I guess if that's how the kids are doing it these days...

Seriously though, any commonly available cleaner should be fine (CLP, Hoppe's #9, whatever). I bought an SA85 in '99 before the ban went through. Shot it pretty regularly for the next few years and then got more into handguns. Put the AK away after about an 800 round shooting session in 2003-2004 using some Wolf ammo and didn't bother cleaning it. Barely looked at the rifle for years therearfter. Broke it out a few months ago, cleaned it up, and all looks fine. No rust or pitting that I can tell. Shoots as good as it ever did.

Wolf is non-corrosive ammo

chead
03-19-2012, 7:27 AM
Lots of guns were rusted through. For example the Polish kits Century built into their underfolders. The Soviets had a lot of guns (and a lot of soldiers). I would imagine rusty bores was not their biggest concern. That said they probably used boiling water in the field and ran the rod through it.

AKSOG
03-19-2012, 7:28 AM
I always thought official procedure was to throw it in a muddy puddle of water.

SamsDX
03-19-2012, 9:44 AM
What was the official cleaning procedure after using corrosive ammo? I only want to know how it is done abroad, NOT how you personally do it.

So why this was brought up repeatedly in this thread despite OPs specific request, I'm not sure. :confused:

I'd be interested to learn what was done in the Communist bloc military units as well, both during training/peacetime and during combat deployments. The commonly accepted flushing with hot water procedure makes sense from a chemical perspective (diluting and flushing the hydrophilic corrosive salts), but at times I wonder if it's overkill. If the professionals were able to get away with much less, that's what I want to do. Ironically, my AKs, which I thought would require the least maintenance, now gets shot the least because of the cleaning procedure.

zfields
03-19-2012, 11:37 AM
So why this was brought up repeatedly in this thread despite OPs specific request, I'm not sure. :confused:

I'd be interested to learn what was done in the Communist bloc military units as well, both during training/peacetime and during combat deployments. The commonly accepted flushing with hot water procedure makes sense from a chemical perspective (diluting and flushing the hydrophilic corrosive salts), but at times I wonder if it's overkill. If the professionals were able to get away with much less, that's what I want to do. Ironically, my AKs, which I thought would require the least maintenance, now gets shot the least because of the cleaning procedure.

Just an FYI, there is a bit of 545x39 on the market now that's non-corrosive, and the same price as wolf/tula.

FeuerFrei
03-19-2012, 12:46 PM
There have got to be some Russians on Calguns or other veterans of Eastern European, Chinese etc. armies?

Sercice manuals galore... HERE (http://www.ak-47.us/AK-47_User_Manuals.php)

FeuerFrei
03-19-2012, 12:47 PM

Service manuals galore... HERE (http://www.ak-47.us/AK-47_User_Manuals.php)

NYsteveZ
03-19-2012, 12:56 PM
I would also imagine that the climate would affect the way it is cleaned. A Commie unit in Siberia is going to clean it different than a unit in the Persian Gulf.

Solidsnake87
03-19-2012, 2:50 PM
Corrosive ammo is AWESOME. All you need to do is scrub the gun and small parts down with hot soapy water. When all the grime is gone, dry off the gun then oil ;)

Mamluke
03-19-2012, 2:58 PM
... I only want to know how it is done abroad, NOT how you personally do it...

huh ... in Afghanistan, they use one of two things, or a combination of both ...

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Taliban+Militants+Surrender+Herat+Province+mbtNHFg sLF_l.jpg

... :popcorn: ...

joash
03-21-2012, 12:45 PM
I knew I would find a real Russki.

Did you have to remove wood furniture for cleaning?

The following was mixed in the armory and used during my OCC Naval Infantry training (336-й ОГ БрМП /336-th SG Marine Infantry Brigade, Baltic Fleet 1991):

Potable water, (1Liter)
Carbonic ammonium salt ?, (200 grams)
Bichromate calcium ?, (3-5 grams)

Please keep in mind I am may be wrong on one of these ingredients. It was long, long time ago. This mix was used within a 24 hours. Leftovers were discarded. Only glass containers should be used. This solution only applies to rifle barrel bore, gas block, gas pipe, gas piston and any parts of the rifle directly exposed to hot propellant gases. Cleaning was done immediately after live fire exercises. Solution was applied and everything was wiped dry, then lubricants. 3 different types of lube were used, depending on the season and weather conditions (for winter/summer/all seasons). I do not recall their specs. There was a second solution more potent then listed above. That one got more complex chemical structure and usually came premixed from the factory. Thank God for Windex! Nowadays I use it first, spray it generously down to the bore and all the parts mentioned above. It works wonders on my Saiga and Mosin. Hope it helps. :)

Richard Erichsen
03-21-2012, 4:37 PM

In the nearest mud puddle before or after running a balled up boot lace through the barrel and gas tube. If they have any oil handy, they will lube the bolt carrier and FCG and call it good. Clean enough...

R

bcsoftware
03-21-2012, 8:14 PM
what is actually corrosive in the ammo? is it just the primers? gunpowder? or both

Solidsnake87
03-21-2012, 8:18 PM
FYI, I wrote a pretty large thread w/tons of pics on cleaning AKs after corrosive ammo. None of my guns have been worse off after my cleaning procedure. Do a search :)

Kamo850
03-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Does anybody read the original post before chiming in? He is not asking for personal stories or how you do it.

He's asking about the actual procedure used by Warsaw pact and Chinese armies for cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo.

There are a million threads about cleaning steps by civilians, not many about historical and current military procedures.

Quiet
03-21-2012, 11:36 PM
There was a similar post about this topic over on M4Cnet. (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=101287)

Some anwers to that post that might help...

Chapter 5 of the 1970 AKM operator's manual -

39. Cleaning is done
-in preparation for firing
-immediately after firing at the range: receiver, barrel, gas cylinder, piston, bolt carrier, and bolt - cleaned and lubricated, and then every day for the next 3-4 days.
-after exercises even without being fired
-in combat, during lulls
-no less than once a week under any other circumstances

And we also have section 44, which talks about the types of lube and "barrel cleaning solution", which is made according to the given recipe:

- water, potable, 1 liter
- ammonium carbonate, 200 g
- potassium bichromate (potash), 3-5 g

Store in glass containers with tight lids, in the dark and away from heat for not more than 7 days.

You use this by tying a bit of oakum around the jag of the cleaning rod, dipping it into the solution, then washing the barrel and other parts until clean.

When I was in Ukraine shooting with an instructor who was an ex-captain, he told us (my wife who translated) that they didn't clean the rifles often, but when they did it was the hot water left over from boiling potatoes.

mmrx2
03-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Its funny how people don't read the original post.

SilentScream
03-22-2012, 1:04 AM
This...

- Water............................................. .1 liter
- Ammonium carbonate (NH4)2CO3......... 200 g
- Potassium dichromate K2Cr2O7............ 3-5 g

Clean ASAP after firing, and oil.
(Руководство по 5,45-мм автомату Калашникова (АК74) и 5,45-мм ручному пулемету. 1982)

none of this piss and potato water Bulls**t, please remember at one point in history this was the most feared and respected military in the world

J.S.Riesch
03-22-2012, 8:55 PM
I knew I would find a real Russki.

Did you have to remove wood furniture for cleaning?

No. Normal “field stripping’ sufficient enough.