PDA

View Full Version : Paratrooper SKS 10 round fixed magazine question?

desertjosh
03-18-2012, 5:37 PM
Is there a 10 round fixed magazine for a (chinese) paratrooper SKS that accepts normal Ak mags, or A bullet button system/attachment to make it california legal? My friend has a Yugo SKS fixed mag that does not fit my gun. My reciever only accepts AK mags? Please let me know what you think.

Thank you,

VegasND
03-18-2012, 6:01 PM
I think you better be careful.

I'm pretty sure the model SKS that takes AK mags is listed by name. That means modifying it won't do any good. Even if it is legal by feature it would still run afoul of the execrable law.

There should be somebody along soon capable of quoting the pertinent laws and correcting any of my misconceptions.
Is there a 10 round fixed magazine for a (chinese) paratrooper SKS that accepts normal Ak mags, or A bullet button system/attachment to make it california legal? My friend has a Yugo SKS fixed mag that does not fit my gun. My reciever only accepts AK mags? Please let me know what you think.

Thank you,

brianm767
03-18-2012, 6:29 PM
A detachable mag SKS is an assault weapon per Cali DOJ, per Roberti-Ross
So since you say "your receiver", I'll assume you do not have a SKS rifle in Cali that takes AK mags, you have a receiver you want to build up, Or you asking about making this rifle Cali compliant so you can bring it into Cali.

desertjosh
03-18-2012, 6:35 PM
The gun is in Arizona want to bring it in to Cali. Sorry should've mentioned that earlier. What does it take to be cali compliant? Thanks again

brianm767
03-18-2012, 6:58 PM
The gun is in Arizona want to bring it in to Cali. Sorry should've mentioned that earlier. What does it take to be cali compliant? Thanks again

A SKS with detachable mag is banned per Roberti- Ross, to me it seems it is banned by feature, It is not banned as simply a SKS, but as a SKS with a detachable mag, There's been much debate about which SKS type rifles this applies to since many do not say SKS on them. But they were probably specifically targeting SKS-D SKS-M models.

Per the Ca DOJ definition of detachable mag, some one correct me if I'm wrong, I would think if you installed a bullet button, then per DOJ. Definition, it is no longer a SKS that accepts detachable mag, and should be legal and some one probably makes one. Does it appear that a AK BB would work?

Interested in hearing form those more knowledgeable than me on this?

SJgunguy24
03-18-2012, 7:10 PM

Nothing will make that legal, it is listed by name. The mods needed to make it reliable with ak mags will keep you from using any sks fixed mag. The only thing I can thing of is welding a 10 round mag in place and top loading. Don't do that though, really some dead commie ghost will haunt you forever if you butcher that gun like that.
SKS with detachable mags are banned by name.

brianm767
03-18-2012, 7:16 PM
Nothing will make that legal,
SKS with detachable mags are banned by name.
But if it was converted with a bullet button, then it would no longer be a SKS with a detachable mag, wouldn't it be ok then? It was not banned as a SKS-D or SKS-M, that would be by name, it was banned by name if it had a certain feature, not Just name.

To me it seems the same as any AR platform rifle, they are all banned by feature until we get rid of a detachable mag.

I just saw it " Northern Mexico, San Jose" love it!

PEZHEAD265
03-18-2012, 8:42 PM
The paratropper SKS that only takes AK mags[rectangle shaped mag well] is the SKS D or M and is illegal in CA no matter what you do to it.Now if it takes the detachable Duckbill SKS mags then a original fixed mag can be installed and then it is CA legal.Are you mags rectangle shaped??Are they rectangle shaped with a two inch or so tail on it?Was it modified with a alum. block to accept modified Tapco mags??There is hope if it is one of the last 2 to bring it in CA.If the mag is the first ??? leave it in Arizona or you will go to jail.

SJgunguy24
03-18-2012, 9:50 PM
But if it was converted with a bullet button, then it would no longer be a SKS with a detachable mag, wouldn't it be ok then? It was not banned as a SKS-D or SKS-M, that would be by name, it was banned by name if it had a certain feature, not Just name.

To me it seems the same as any AR platform rifle, they are all banned by feature until we get rid of a detachable mag.

I just saw it " Northern Mexico, San Jose" love it!

Does it say SKS anywhere on it? If so your playing with fire IMO. Now trust me, I like to push the line a bit, hell I thought about doing the AK mag conversion on one of my Yugo 59/66 rifles. But those don't say SKS anywhere and would be the same as any off list featureless gun.

Quiet
03-19-2012, 9:24 AM
CA banned the "SKS Sporter", which were Chinese made SKS that accepted AK magazines.
CA uses the term "SKS Sporter" because that is how the Chinese made SKS that accept AK magazines were marketed/sold as in CA.
Most common "SKS Sporter" were the Norinco SKS-D and Norinco SKS-M.

Do not bring any SKS that uses AK magazines into CA.

Because CA law [PC 30710] specifically bans SKS rifles that are manufactured to accept AK magazines.

brianm767
03-19-2012, 9:46 AM
If I recall correctly, didnt they have a period where you were supposed to surrender these rifles to the state?

So thats the info I needed, CA law [PC 30710] it's not just Roberti-Ross. thats why a BB wouldnt help.