PDA

View Full Version : For all Lefty Shooters, which AR would you get?

Hecktic
03-18-2012, 4:26 PM
I’m a southpaw shooter and I want to get an AR so I was thinking maybe Stag or RRA but I thought I would ask the community what they thought and maybe get some ideas. The type of shooting I’m looking to do is some range marksman shooting and just some good old fashion plinking. I was thinking of the Stag 2TL or the RRA LAR 15 Lef- T Elite. However, I am open to other suggestions… I like the Noveske but a $2500 AR is out of my price range. I am looking to spend $1k to $1500. I was wondering if you could take a lefty upper and put it on any lower? Any info would be much appreciated and links to site would be great. Thanks gentlemen.

BucDan
03-18-2012, 4:29 PM
Yes it is possible to get a left upper and put it on any lower. The downside is the availability of parts especially the bolt.

Then again, the brass deflector was put there so lefties like you and me won't eat brass all day on righty uppers.

creampuff
03-18-2012, 4:30 PM
Lefty here. I would get a standard upper. The only disadvantage I find being left handed and using a right handed upper is I can't put an upright piece of cardboard to my right to block brass from flying to my neighbor to my right.

No biggy, I use a brass catcher, even though I don't reload. Really there isn't anything about using a right handed upper that bothers me.

Yes, a left handed upper will fit on any lower. But no reason to limit your upper selection to being left handed.

dandingo13
03-18-2012, 4:32 PM
When building my AR, I was highly considering building it as a left-handed rifle. The more research I did, the more I was convinced that I wanted to keep it right-handed. I'm very glad I did. I really don't see any advantage to left-handed ARs, except for maybe a Badger Tactical latch, which aren't cheap.

I did add a Magpul B.A.D. lever, which makes sending the bolt home easy as a lefty after changing a mag and also assists in keeping it open when clearing the rifle.

alfred1222
03-18-2012, 4:33 PM
I would go with the Stag 2TL. my father is a lefty, and he HATED AR's until i built him his own lefty AR. He wont let anyone else touch the freaking thing now!

G60
03-18-2012, 4:35 PM
I'm left-handed and I do not see the point of left-handed uppers.

The only thing I wish were left-handed on my AR is the charging handle without spending an arm and a leg, and the magazine release, and the mag release only matters if I were to use a featureless build.

Peter.Steele
03-18-2012, 4:39 PM
Lefty here, too - I use normal AR's as well. Never saw much point in a left handed one. Very much limits your resale market and availability of aftermarket parts.

vintagearms
03-18-2012, 4:43 PM
Lefty here. I use right hand guns except I got the ambi charging handle and Magpul bolt release.

hollowpoint
03-18-2012, 4:51 PM
lefty here, first build was a lefty stag upper. Only build with standard uppers now.

Omega13device
03-18-2012, 4:55 PM
This comes up once a week, do a search...http://www.google.com/search?ix=seb&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=lefty+ar+site%3Acalguns.net

jkody
03-18-2012, 4:57 PM
Go normal (right hand), I shoot left hand and have never been hit with brass.

CSACANNONEER
03-18-2012, 5:00 PM
Another lefty that doesn't want a lefty upper here.

MXRider
03-18-2012, 5:06 PM
I'm a righty that shoots off handed a lot and I don't see the purpose of getting a lefty upper. Get a quality upper that uses common parts and quit trying to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

pat4wd
03-18-2012, 5:16 PM
I shoot left eyed.. I will never buy a left hand AR though... the Shell deflector does it's job perfectly

smogcity
03-18-2012, 5:25 PM
It all depends on what YOU want, not what other leftys have settled for. I like the stag lefty uppers because they work great for me. A failure on a right handed upper with a left hander's face "nose to charging handle" could be bad.

As no righty would pick a lefty upper, why would you pick something wrong for you with the correct option out there. Get a 2TL with plus package!

shamu415
03-18-2012, 5:26 PM
The left hand upper is just trying to reinvent the wheel. The regular right hand upper actually works to lefties advantage. you see the bolt faster if there was a jam and the brass deflecter prevents brass hitting your face. I rather get a an ambi lower

smogcity
03-18-2012, 5:30 PM
you see the bolt faster if there was a jam

Because your eyes are right next to the possible catastrophic failure. This is great if you see a problem and tap/rack/bang, not so great if your corneas are full of gas/brass/metal..

JeremyKX
03-18-2012, 5:55 PM
I have a stag lefty. Its nice but I see why people say it has no purpose. It kinda sucks having a righty lower and that stag did not even make a lefty lower.

However, the RRA lefties just came out and it is a complete lefty AR-15.

Even with that, my next purchase will probably be a righty ar-15

Curley Red
03-18-2012, 5:57 PM
I just built my first AR and I used a Stag lefty upper, lefty bcg, and charging handle. I used a J&P lower. I'll post pics in a day or so once I get it to the range.

NHP1127
03-18-2012, 5:57 PM
Lots of lefties in the military. They don't issue left handed M4's. After all the training I did as a lefty using a right handed version, I'd never switch to a left handed version. The brass deflector works as it was designed.

smogcity
03-18-2012, 6:29 PM
Switching from what you trained on would be a waste of time.

The OP is a "new to AR" shooter. Perhaps he should start on what is designed for him like the Stag 2TL upper.

russ69
03-18-2012, 6:31 PM
As long as it isn't a slick side, you'll be fine with a right handed AR.

clutchy
03-18-2012, 6:38 PM
When building my AR, I was highly considering building it as a left-handed rifle. The more research I did, the more I was convinced that I wanted to keep it right-handed. I'm very glad I did. I really don't see any advantage to left-handed ARs, except for maybe a Badger Tactical latch, which aren't cheap.

I did add a Magpul B.A.D. lever, which makes sending the bolt home easy as a lefty after changing a mag and also assists in keeping it open when clearing the rifle.

same here.

I did get a mega billet lower with an ambi bolt release which is nice but both of my AR's are standard models.

I have started noticing that i do eat alot of gas... and burned powder.

maybe i'll build a third one with a LH stag upper and bolt.

oh... and i also got a BA ambi safety which has been really nice.

Peter.Steele
03-18-2012, 6:40 PM
It all depends on what YOU want, not what other leftys have settled for. I like the stag lefty uppers because they work great for me. A failure on a right handed upper with a left hander's face "nose to charging handle" could be bad.

Because your eyes are right next to the possible catastrophic failure. This is great if you see a problem and tap/rack/bang, not so great if your corneas are full of gas/brass/metal..

How many failures of that sort have you ever seen that cycled the bolt?

No, really - I'll wait.

Every time I've seen something with an AR where someone would need eye protection, it wouldn't have mattered if the shooter was left- or right-handed.

Eh, even that's not so bad. My first AR was an A1, and I never had an issue with brass going anywhere bad.

ACRfan
03-18-2012, 6:45 PM
I'm a lefty and I bought a acr, and I love it.. I had a lefty upper and I personally think the ACR is better.. And u can find some used ones prob in ur price range

Grumpyoldretiredcop
03-18-2012, 7:00 PM
I would have killed for a left handed upper... until the first AR upper with a case deflector appeared. Now, I don't need or want a left hand upper. I have fired a Stag LH upper equipped rifle and wasn't sufficiently impressed to buy one. My reasoning is as follows:

It's a lot easier to find parts for a standard as opposed to LH upper.

The manual of arms has to be modified for a left handed shooter, no matter whether they are using a RH or LH upper. There are no truly "mirror image" ARs available that I am aware of.

With the advent of the case deflector on uppers, cases hitting the shooter are no longer an issue.

A LH shooter can visually check the ejection port of a RH upper in the event of a malfunction easier than a RH shooter can.

Rockit
03-18-2012, 7:05 PM
Another lefty that doesn't want a lefty upper here.
As a distance shooter, do you like your bolt guns right handed also?

ZX-10R
03-18-2012, 7:06 PM
I would go with the Stag 2TL. my father is a lefty, and he HATED AR's until i built him his own lefty AR. He wont let anyone else touch the freaking thing now!

This is the answer. A buddy has one and loves it.

pat4wd
03-18-2012, 7:10 PM
As a distance shooter, do you like your bolt guns right handed also?

Other than quiker follow up shots there is no advantage to me.. my favorite bolt gun I own is a right eyed gun

West coast
03-18-2012, 7:24 PM
I'm left-handed and I do not see the point of left-handed uppers.

The only thing I wish were left-handed on my AR is the charging handle without spending an arm and a leg, and the magazine release, and the mag release only matters if I were to use a featureless build.

I agree with u.. And I am a left-handed shooter too.

Hecktic
03-18-2012, 7:33 PM
You know there is some really good advise in this thread and I appreciate all information. I think you guys who have mentioned about case/ shell deflectors are on point. I didn’t even think about a case deflector. I use to be in Army 20 years ago and just sucked it up and ate hot brass all day long but I loved shooting the AR. Every range trip I would have about 3 to 4 hot casing burns on the side of my face… The price of being of being young & dumb.

I think there was a good point that buying a standard AR after market parts will be easier to get and it will open me up to more availability of other ARs. I really had my eye on a Daniel Defense rifle and I still may go that way.

pyromensch
03-18-2012, 8:52 PM

why?

i am also a lefty, i had a slick side, and traded it for a FA upper, then i saw a post on calguns, about a FA that stayed forward, and when the firearm fired, it blew the FA out. not a big deal for righties, (and it is definitely not a regular, or semi-regular occurance), but for lefties, this could be severely damaging to my appearance. i have never had the need to use a FA, and a slick-side seems like a good option. (not a scare tactic, just an option)

IrishPirate
03-18-2012, 9:10 PM
it's actually more of an eye thing than a hand thing. if you're right eye dominant, get a righty AR and just learn to shoot it right handed. If you're left eye dominant, get a STAG lefty. Shooting a rifle right or left handed isn't that hard, but aiming it with your weak eye or leaning over extra far to use your good eye IS very hard.

My wife is a lefty and she can only shoot left handed because she can't aim for sh*t with her right eye. Nothing wrong with her abilities to hold the gun right handed though. I plan on building her a left handed AR and converting it to .22lr too. STAG is by far the best option for this.

SmokingSam
03-18-2012, 9:26 PM
Lefty here. But I shoot bolt, relics and AR and love them all so I had to adapt to the right hand world. Sometimes, as mentioned above, it is to the lefty's advantage to run a RH AR, I can see if the bolt is cycling well and if it is time to change the mag when in a rapid 10 shot in a shooting match.

also resale value is better on RH vs LH...

But, if you know you will be uncomfortable with w RH AR, then get a Lefty.

russ69
03-18-2012, 9:56 PM

My first AR was a CAR-15, the brass just brushed by my face. Next came the FA, that worked as a good shell deflector. Then the shell deflector came out, that's was like putting a cherry on top, total problem solved.
Sometimes I think the AR, like the Colt SA pistol, was designed for left handers.

mrvash
03-18-2012, 10:23 PM
When I built my first AR, I highly considered getting a left-handed upper, but to be more economical, I just opt for a standard (right handed) upper and added ambidextrous parts i.e; KZ USA ambi charging handle, Rock River ambi star safety selector, Magpul BAD lever and Magpul ambi sling plate. So far it's great, the brass deflector does a great job of keeping the spent casings from hitting my face.

HermanH
03-18-2012, 10:56 PM
it's actually more of an eye thing than a hand thing. if you're right eye dominant, get a righty AR and just learn to shoot it right handed. If you're left eye dominant, get a STAG lefty. Shooting a rifle right or left handed isn't that hard, but aiming it with your weak eye or leaning over extra far to use your good eye IS very hard.

This make a bit of sense here. I re-assembled my Thompson Contender w/ .223 23" SS barrel and shot 100 rounds out of it and all the while I'm a lefty, and cocking my head over so my right eye can target as it is my dominant eye.

I've been a pistol shooter most of my life and only recently gotten into longarms. With RDS, I'm using both eyes open but I do notice I focus better with my right.

With my new Colt LE6920CMP, I am going to attempt to shoot right handed for the first time to see if I can get used to it. My theory is, if this works out, I'll be amidexterous in shooting anything. It's an ambitious goal by like anything else in life, you can't advance yourself unless you step out of your comfort zone.

WW2Buff
03-18-2012, 11:41 PM

+1, just get an ambidextrous safety and use your thumb to engage the magazine catch when removing a mag. Also, speed is going to be the last thing you should be concerned with if it's a bullet buttoned rifle.

darkgrue
03-19-2012, 9:57 AM
One thing people haven't mentioned: lefties on a right-hand upper have a huge advantage on the single-load slow course of fire.

calif 15-22
03-19-2012, 10:22 AM
You know there is some really good advise in this thread and I appreciate all information. I think you guys who have mentioned about case/ shell deflectors are on point. I didn’t even think about a case deflector. I use to be in Army 20 years ago and just sucked it up and ate hot brass all day long but I loved shooting the AR. Every range trip I would have about 3 to 4 hot casing burns on the side of my face… The price of being of being young & dumb.

I think there was a good point that buying a standard AR after market parts will be easier to get and it will open me up to more availability of other ARs. I really had my eye on a Daniel Defense rifle and I still may go that way.

As a fellow lefty I went through the same thought process. I do everything right handed (including pistols) but shoot rifles lefty. Weird I know.

When I bought my 12 ga I thought about getting a lefty as well.
Then I held the Daniel Defense M4 V4 and forgot all about lefty versions. Beautiful piece of machining at the right price. Get it you'll love it.

You will be fine shooting a righted handed AR southpaw. And you will have the added benefit of being able to sell it when you want to upgrade as opposed to trying to sell a left handed AR.

Good Luck . . .

ptgarcia
03-19-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm a lefty and just purchased my first AR upper and went with a right hand version. I haven't gone with any left hand firearms because I want to be able to pick up any gun in a crisis and be able to operate it efficiently, and chances are that gun is going to be a right hand gun. Also, my wife shoots our guns and she is right handed. I'd rather we both shoot right handed than left handed.

NHP1127
03-19-2012, 1:59 PM
My first AR was a CAR-15, the brass just brushed by my face. Next came the FA, that worked as a good shell deflector. Then the shell deflector came out, that's was like putting a cherry on top, total problem solved.
Sometimes I think the AR, like the Colt SA pistol, was designed for left handers.

+1. The shell deflector takes care of any left handed, shell hitting right cheek issues.

BDH
03-19-2012, 5:47 PM
The only issue I have as a LH shooter with an AR is the selector switch is in the way of my trigger finger. The BAD short or thin selector may help.
Bruce

glockman19
03-19-2012, 6:00 PM
If i were a Lefty I would get a Stag

SouthpawE46
04-12-2012, 5:22 PM
Sorry to bump a semi old thread, but when doing an AR build, should I go for an left handed upper?

I didn't think about the resale value..

tundraotto
04-12-2012, 6:40 PM
RRA or Stag in that order.

Mstnpete
04-12-2012, 6:48 PM
I'm a lefty as well but always used right handed AR's and rifles.

jsr3313
04-13-2012, 11:18 AM
I built my LH AR from the ground up. This was my first build mind you. But from my own experience in handling rifles, I found it was easier to see out of my left eye. This meant I would need to place the rifle on my left shoulder. Having never served, I figured I might as well build it to what was comfortable for me.

So I have a Stag LH upper on a DTI (Del-Ton) lower. Other than the bolt being LH, everything else can be standard. Of course now RRA has a LH upper AND lower that I may be looking into in the near future. But only if I can get the upper and lower by themselves, vs having to buy a complete rifle.

Untamed1972
04-13-2012, 11:40 AM
As a lefty.....just get the standard model and add the ambi-safety selector anf you will be GTG :thumbsup: