PDA

View Full Version : Tech Sight Front Sight adjustment?

kjgun
03-18-2012, 1:03 PM
I picked up the TSR200 for my 10/22 for appleseed. There is an elevation adjustment on the front and rear sight, windage only on the rear sight.

Is there a standard practice for when you adjust front vs. rear for sighting in?

Also if going from 25 yards to 100 yards? Does it matter which you adjust for elevation?

as_rocketman
03-18-2012, 6:41 PM
When making adjustments, the rear sight moves in the direction you want holes on paper to move. The front sight moves in the opposite direction.

Plan to "set and forget" the front sight, and make all minor corrections with the rear sight. This holds for any distance.

kjgun
03-18-2012, 7:22 PM
That's a good plan to forget the front sight and make all adjustments in the rear once I'm sighted in.

When making adjustments, the rear sight moves in the direction you want holes on paper to move. The front sight moves in the opposite direction.

But I don't get this on "...front sight moves in the opposite direction." If I set the elevation on the rear sight to bring it in line to the paper, why would I adjust the front sight's elevation? Is there a time where I would adjust the front sight?

G-forceJunkie
03-18-2012, 7:50 PM
I would put the rear site in the middle of the adjustment range. Then site in using the front. Now you can just leave the front, and use the rear in the future to fine tune, or readjust for different distances. There is no reason you need elevation adjustment on both the front and rear, one or the other works. Some people like the adjustment on the rear as its easier to dittle with as its closer to reach while in shooting position.

as_rocketman
03-19-2012, 12:11 AM
The only time you should NEED to adjust the front sight is if the rear sight doesn't have enough travel. Like, say, if you intended to shoot your 10/22 at 200 meters, you might need to adjust both sights to get enough of a come-up.

But at more reasonable ranges, with normal ammo, if nothing is bent, you shouldn't ever need to touch the front sight. Nonetheless the capability is there if it turns out that you do.

kjgun
03-19-2012, 8:10 AM
Oh thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I will try both methods.

Setting the rear in the middle sounds great for overall if you're sighting in your midrange distrance of your targets. For 200m shots sounds like I could sight in @ 25m or less with the front post all the way up so that if I ever try to shoot at 200m, I could have travel all the way down in case my rear sight doesn't do enough come up.

PurplePeople
03-20-2012, 9:28 PM
On my loaner 10/22s I have the front sight preset for a 25m zero using generic standard velocity ammo (Wallyworld bulk pack stuff). If the student who borrows it is using something different, then it's easy to tweak the zero using the rear sight adjustment.