PDA

View Full Version : long gun storage in vehicle

weber_2
03-18-2012, 9:45 AM
I wanted to keep a 22 rifle in each of my vehicles for SHTF situations. These are just in case something happens while I'm at work (I work in South Central) and I have to get home. If I'm understanding the law right as long as the rifle isn't loaded I'm cool right? FYI this thread is about rifle storage in a vehicle please don't tell me that the 22 is a horrible defense weapon, I understand that, but I would rather bring a gun to a gun fight and not a knife.

S470FM
03-18-2012, 9:48 AM
I believe you can only have a gun/rifle in your vehicle if you're going to the range and back.

panchovillas
03-18-2012, 9:48 AM
You can transport unloaded and in plain site like gun rack or locked up in your trunk. Just watch out for them school zones 1000 feet!!!

Braveheart61
03-18-2012, 9:50 AM
What if you own a pick up?

No place to lock it, in locked case?

Ammo? glove box won't lock.

weber_2
03-18-2012, 9:51 AM
So in a case in the trunk is fine? I really don't want it visable so someone can break in and steal it. What about in a truck. My truck has a container under the back seat, can I store it in there?

panchovillas
03-18-2012, 9:55 AM
Sure as long as it can be locked and you can not access it.

paul0660
03-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Do you guys know each other? I think so.

How can 4 grownups have exactly the same CLUELESS misconceptions and exactly the foggiest how to figure it out?

The wiki, top of the page.

sfhondapilot
03-18-2012, 10:13 AM
From the wiki ...

How do I legally transport a long gun (rifle or shotgun)?

Unloaded.
Is a case required to transport a long gun?

No.
Do I need to transport a long gun in my trunk or other locked container?

No, except:
When traveling through Gun Free School Zones (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Gun_Free_School_Zones) Federal law requires long guns to be in a locked container or a locked gun rack.
Can I have ammunition in the same case and compartment as the gun?

Yes.
Can removable magazines for rifles have ammunition in them?

Yes, so long as no loaded magazine is in the magazine well.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/FAQ#How_do_I_legally_transport_a_long_gun_.28rifle _or_shotgun.29.3F

Mamluke
03-18-2012, 10:23 AM
you CANNOT STORE a gun in your vehicle PERIOD!
You can only TRANSPORT a gun, from point A to Point B!
It must have a locking device, and a pistol must have a lock & CONTAINED in a CASE!
No GUN STORAGE of any sort is allowed in a vehicle!

Unless, its an RV and you're going camping far from schools, federal buildings, abortion clinics ... :D .... etc....etc.... EXCEPTION; in National Parks!

.... :popcorn: ....

Librarian
03-18-2012, 10:32 AM
you CANNOT STORE a gun in your vehicle PERIOD!
You can only TRANSPORT a gun, from point A to Point B!
It must have a locking device, and a pistol must have a lock & CONTAINED in a CASE!
No GUN STORAGE of any sort is allowed in a vehicle!

Unless, its an RV and you're going camping far from schools, federal buildings, abortion clinics ... :D .... etc....etc.... EXCEPTION; in National Parks!

.... :popcorn: ....

Incorrect.

Neither Federal nor California law prohibits storing a long gun in one's vehicle(s). Only Registered 'Assault Weapons' have destination restrictions while in a vehicle.

There are places where no guns are allowed; for example, those .22 rifles are banned on college campuses without written permission.

paul0660
03-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Make that 5 guys who know each other.

Mass trolling.........interesting!

Back to the Reubens.

Mamluke
03-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Make that 5 guys who know each other.

We're one big happy family ....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DAxA1v-6aPk/TnJdQmSKGfI/AAAAAAAABQk/YqP-GOfVd1Q/s1600/The-Addams-Family-01-4.jpg

russ69
03-18-2012, 1:55 PM
I'm no expert but my story would be that I'm transporting the firearm to/or from an organised event, place to place, or from hunting (if applicable). You will have the most exceptions from the law. It may not be illegal to store a firearm in a vehicle but it will have the toughest and most difficult restrictions.

HK Dave
03-18-2012, 2:05 PM
I believe you can only have a gun/rifle in your vehicle if you're going to the range and back.

When you don't know the answer, it's usually best not to open your mouth. :(

Librarian
03-18-2012, 2:23 PM
I'm no expert but my story would be that I'm transporting the firearm to/or from an organised event, place to place, or from hunting (if applicable). You will have the most exceptions from the law. It may not be illegal to store a firearm in a vehicle but it will have the toughest and most difficult restrictions.

On what basis do you come to that conclusion?

FeuerFrei
03-18-2012, 2:33 PM
I can't blame the FUD posters here too much because I know an FFL that still tells his customers that you have to seperate the ammo from pistol in 2 locked containers and that Saiga 12 shotguns are illegal to sell in CA with 10 rd mags w/lock installed. :rolleyes:
Yes he also tells people that the long guns can only be taken from A to B and NO trunk guns allowed. :eek:
Still a lot of work to do here people.

russ69
03-18-2012, 5:57 PM
On what basis do you come to that conclusion?

I found the hunting exclusion. I remember an organized target shooting exclusion but couldn't find it, maybe you know of it or the law has changed? Perhaps you can help me.

Penal Code Section 12025 does not apply to or affect the lawful transportation or possession of a firearm under specific circumstances, including, but not limited to, the following:

Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from such hunting or fishing expeditions.

panchovillas
03-19-2012, 9:48 AM

How can 4 grownups have exactly the same CLUELESS misconceptions and exactly the foggiest how to figure it out?

You enlightened us with your most magnificent answer o great one!! He does not want to get his crap stolen so I suggested a locked container!!!

weber_2
03-19-2012, 9:54 AM
My bad for posting this thread should've just done the research

Librarian
03-19-2012, 10:12 AM
I found the hunting exclusion. I remember an organized target shooting exclusion but couldn't find it, maybe you know of it or the law has changed? Perhaps you can help me.

Penal Code Section 12025 does not apply to or affect the lawful transportation or possession of a firearm under specific circumstances, including, but not limited to, the following:

• Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from such hunting or fishing expeditions.

12025 (now 25400 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/25400.html)) applies only to concealable handguns (a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when
the person does any of the following:
(1) Carries concealed within any vehicle that is under the person'
s control or direction any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable
of being concealed upon the person.
(2) Carries concealed upon the person any pistol, revolver, or
other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(3) Causes to be carried concealed within any vehicle in which the
person is an occupant any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable
of being concealed upon the person.
A .22 rifle, unmodified, is not a "firearm capable of being concealed upon the person".

Even for handguns, there is no limitation on in-vehicle transport: PC 25610 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/25610.html) (a) Section 25400 shall not be construed to prohibit any
citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or
is temporarily within this state, and who is not prohibited by state
or federal law from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a
firearm, from transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that
the following applies to the firearm:
(1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the
vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle.
(2) The firearm is carried by the person directly to or from any
motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while carrying the firearm,
the firearm is contained within a locked container.
(b) The provisions of this section do not prohibit or limit the
otherwise lawful carrying or transportation of any pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in
accordance with the provisions listed in Section 16580.

starsnuffer
03-19-2012, 10:14 AM
There was some pamphlet that went out from the BATF some years ago that had a bunch of FUD in it, including the "transporting from point A to point B" nonsense. This was essentially a collection of "recommendations" from the geniuses at BATF, and had no, and still has no basis in law. Can't blame the old geezers who still believe what they read for buying into it, as it did say BATF on it, but it's still FUD.

-W

ACRfan
03-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Wow.. Getting heated

kalbos
03-19-2012, 8:35 PM
Go to the law enforcement section, I posted a thread about trunk guns.

Unloaded in plain sight ok. EXCEPT WITHIN 1000 FT OF SCHOOL.
I would recommend having it covered so ppl don't freak out.

I have a .45 acp hi point in the rear of my station wagon for SHTF gotta get home situations.

arslin
03-19-2012, 9:44 PM
Ok... just to expand this a bit. As some who might remember some of my other posts, I live on campus in grad housing at a UC. As part of the "gun free zone," I have in my rental contract with the regents that I can not have a firearm in my f#$@ing apartment (that is another rant that I do not EVEN want to get started again). Currently, I store a gun at my n-laws near by.

I can legally store the gun in my car's trunk?

WDE91
03-19-2012, 10:17 PM
my head is going to explode

kalbos
03-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Per federal & ca law you can have a gun in your car unloaded & locked in a school zone. The agreement that u made with the UC housing is a separate issue. If u signed an agreement that you can't have a firearm.in your apartment, there.MIGHT be some wiggle room regarding in your car. The overall gun policy of the school.needs to be reviewed.

NapaPlinker
03-19-2012, 10:43 PM

I'm 19 and can answer all of these questions. :beatdeadhorse5:

Librarian
03-19-2012, 11:46 PM
Ok... just to expand this a bit. As some who might remember some of my other posts, I live on campus in grad housing at a UC. As part of the "gun free zone," I have in my rental contract with the regents that I can not have a firearm in my f#$@ing apartment (that is another rant that I do not EVEN want to get started again). Currently, I store a gun at my n-laws near by.

I can legally store the gun in my car's trunk?

If you street park it, yes.

If the U provides parking on U property, you can't use it.

We've had the discussion on break-ins to vehicles near schools.

mmrx2
03-20-2012, 12:59 AM
I'd be worried about someone breaking in the car and stealing my weapon.

Ryan in SD
03-20-2012, 1:34 AM
I have the feeling a lot of the FUD that gets posted on here are from cops :D

Carnivore
03-20-2012, 6:50 AM
This thread proves once and for all that California has too many lame a s s , vague gun laws that the average or even advanced person can not possibly decipher.

-hanko
03-20-2012, 9:21 AM
that there's a difference between state and federal law...

that the laws are clear and you can find them both on the state and federal websites...

that reading comprehension is sometimes challenging...

and that the ability to search the internet is somewhat lacking...:rolleyes:

-hanko

frankm
03-20-2012, 9:50 AM
So, if you're driving past a school did you just commit a crime if it's not in a locked case?

Librarian
03-20-2012, 11:10 AM
So, if you're driving past a school did you just commit a crime if it's not in a locked case?

... or in your trunk, or in a locked gun rack: Federally, that's a violation of their GFSZ.

Exdc
03-20-2012, 5:34 PM
I wanted to keep a 22 rifle in each of my vehicles for SHTF situations. These are just in case something happens while I'm at work (I work in South Central) and I have to get home. If I'm understanding the law right as long as the rifle isn't loaded I'm cool right? FYI this thread is about rifle storage in a vehicle please don't tell me that the 22 is a horrible defense weapon, I understand that, but I would rather bring a gun to a gun fight and not a knife.

You can carry your gun anywhere you like, as long as it's locked seperately from any ammunition you have with you. I have gun locked in it's bag (luggage lock will do) and I have my ammo locked in a modified ammunition box. I don't usually take it out, only when I'm going to the range. However, you're alright going through school zones as long as it is LOCKED. I don't believe a magazine lock counts.

As far as a .22lr for defense, it will enter somebody, and do damage. It's deadly. Kills Coyote's just fine. Probably in part because it usually won't exit the body. It will go in, bounce around, possibly shatter, and do some damage. It's also light, and the ammo is cheap. So don't let people tell you it's not worth having.

So in short:
Lock it up.
Drive as you wish.
Don't worry about it.
KEEP YOUR AMMUNITION SEPARATE. I don't believe it is necessary to lock it up; I do, because I'd rather give someone no excuse to point a finger.

Have a nice day.

*IF* I have said anything inaccurate, call me out. I'm repeating what I was told when I asked transportation questions several months ago. As far as I know, nothing has changed.

Librarian
03-20-2012, 5:55 PM
So in short:
Lock it up.
Drive as you wish.
Don't worry about it.
KEEP YOUR AMMUNITION SEPARATE. I don't believe it is necessary to lock it up; I do, because I'd rather give someone no excuse to point a finger.

Letter of the law is 'not in the gun'; keeping ammo separate is perhaps helpful to avoid misunderstandings.

See also the wiki on 'loaded' -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Defining_loaded_in_California

weber_2
03-20-2012, 6:02 PM
Looks like I'm okay then. Rifle in a case in the truck (locked) and ammo separate

arslin
03-20-2012, 6:11 PM
This thread proves once and for all that California has too many lame a s s , vague gun laws that the average or even advanced person can not possibly decipher.

That is the quote of the day... +1

jkonquer
03-20-2012, 6:19 PM
what if you are infront of fire station? can you make u-turn and have guns in your trunk?

this thread is hilarious

kel-tec-innovations
03-20-2012, 7:14 PM
http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/small/0906/godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm-face-palm-epic-fail-demotivational-poster-1245384435.jpg

Braveheart61
03-20-2012, 7:51 PM
I better take the bazooka on my hood off

Agent 0range
03-20-2012, 9:27 PM
What if it's the middle of July and schools are on summer vacation, or a National holiday and the federal buildings are closed? THEN can I drive around them with out having my gun locked in a case in the trunk with ammo in a separate locked container inaccessible to myself as the driver? Oh, wait I have a truck without a trunk...now what???:rofl:

kalbos
03-20-2012, 9:33 PM
What if I have a round in.the.chamber but barrel is removed?

What if I have a ruger 10/22 but I have 45 acp ammo?

Ahhh we have official gone to new levels of stupidity...

Librarian
03-20-2012, 10:52 PM
You're right, fallen off into the ozone.