PDA

View Full Version : Garand Match @Sac Valley Saturday 3/31/12 - Other Vintage Rifles welcome

Pthfndr
03-17-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm posting this for the match director Don W.

2 weeks from now on the 1000 yard range (range 12) at the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center. All shooting is done from the 200 yard line so not having super eye sight is not an excuse :)

Don is a great guy and runs a good match. New shooters (especially those who are looking to get into NRA "Across the Course" matches) are encouraged to come out. The experienced shooters help out the new ones, and you learn how to score and how to pull targets.

While the match was originally specifically for Garands, this is open to any vintage military rifle (see below) to compete for awards. So Mausers, Mosins, and Swiss rifles can all come compete.

Don also told me that if someone shows up with an AR or M1A, etc, they can also shoot the match, but will not be eligible for awards.

All the details are in Don's match instructions below.

Location: Sacramento Valley Shooting Center Highpower Range (range 12), 15501 Meiss Road, Sloughhouse/Rancho Murieta, CA.

Entry Fee: $10.00. There is no charge for Juniors ages 16-20.

Course of Fire: CMP Course "A", 300 point aggregate fired at 200 yards.

Start Time: Sign in and Squadding will be from 0730 to 0830 followed by a safety briefing. The match begins at 0900. You are encouraged to pre-register. Please arrive well before 0830 to register if not pre-registered.

Eligible Rifles: Although this match is geared toward "as issued" vintage Militaryrifles of the type adopted and issued prior to 1946, you will be able to compete with any WWI or WWII rifle with iron sights. Scoped rifles are not allowed. Rifles having "Match" modifications will compete in a separate "Match Class". Match modifications include NM or micro front and rear sights, glass bedding, heavy match grade barrels, etc. Your M1, M1 Carbine, Johnson, Springfield, Krag, Enfield, Mosin, Mauser, etc. is eligible as long as it essentially conforms to the "vintage" criteria. Slings must meet "as issued" criteria.

Ammunition: You must provide your own ammunition for this match. Be certain that your ammunition is safe for your rifle, and that your rifle will feed and function in a rapid fire stage with your ammunition. Bring at least 50 rounds with at least three clips or magazines.

Empty Chamber Indicator: (O.B.I., Chamber Flag, etc.) All competitors must use and Empty Chamber Indicator. These are available at the range office or may be purchased at the Match for $1.00.

Safety: Safety procedures will conform to NRA and CMP guidelines. Be especially careful while handling your rifle. Pay close attention at the safety briefing. All rifles msut have their bolts open and Empty Chamber Indicators in place unless you are in position on the firing line. Eye and ear protection are required for all competitors.

The Program: The course of fire will be CMP course "A" fired on the "SR" target (200 yards). The schedule will be as follows:

Stage One: Five sighter shots and ten shots for record, Prone, in 15 minutes.
Stage Two: Ten shots rapid fire for record, Standing to Prone in 80 seconds.
Stage Three: Ten shots for record, slow fire Standing, in 10 minutes.

Each stage will be preceded by a three minute preparation period. Relay 1 will shoot, relay 2 will score, relay 3 will pull and mark targets. Next, 2 will shoot, 1 will score and coach and 3 will again pull and mark. Lastly, 3 will shoot while 1 scores and coaches, and 2 pulls and marks targets. It is our intent to provide plenty of coaching for new shooters. If you have prior Highpower experience and are willing to coach a new shooter, you will hopefully not have to pull pit duty! You will be on relay 1.

Awards: Awards will be given in each catagory having three or more shooters. Categories will be announced at the match.

Note: This match meets the shooting requirements for purchase of an M1 Garand or Springfield rifle from the CMP. It does not meet the requirements for the NRA Highpower Competitor classification.

To prepare for this match: Bring your rifle zeroed for 100 or 200 yards with the ammo you are using. Bring three clips or magazines and 50 rounds.

Bring a stool, a mat or piece of carpet, and a spotting scope or binoculars. Also bring a pen, and drinks and food. If you hope to do well, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU PRACTICE THE SHOOTING POSITIONS!!

bruceflinch
03-18-2012, 6:34 AM
Sounds like fun!
Is it true NRAHIGHPOWER cancelled the Chabot Garand Match on the same Day, so he could come up & shoot? ;)

Manolito
03-18-2012, 7:14 AM
OK get the laugh out of your system.

I am going to go with the wife and watch and learn. Couple of questions are there any women shooters that compete? Is there a site I can go to to read up on this type of match?

I read the lunch and eye and ear protection should we bring foldable chairs or are there benches etc.

Thanks for the post and any information that follows
Bill

pro-nra
03-18-2012, 8:05 AM
I've never shot this match before but I do know for a fact that I suck at standing position (suck at others equally as bad). I'll have to come out and try one of my Swiss 1911. I've shot Pthfndr's Vintage Military Long Range matches and looking forward to having it start up this year again. When is the next one?

Manolito, range 12 don't have any seating provision so you must bring your own folding beach chair.

Pthfndr, you missed a good fun silhouette match yesterday did you have to work? You might consider quit working so you don't miss any of these matches.:D

OldShooter32
03-18-2012, 8:19 AM
It isn't as difficult as it sounds, so if you going to come out bring the old tent pole and some ammo and blaze away. For $10 you can't have more fun! I am sure there will be some old guys there who may have trouble getting into those positions but can still coach!

17+1
03-18-2012, 9:10 AM
Sounds fun, but I'm planning on shooting highpower at Chabot on the 24th...wallet can't handle 3 weekends of matches back to back to back. :(

2shotjoe
03-18-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm going, shot my Garand yesterday and it worked great. I'm gonna bust out my spam can for this one. :D

pro-nra
03-18-2012, 1:45 PM
I'm going, shot my Garand yesterday and it worked great. I'm gonna bust out my spam can for this one. :D

Don't do that! Let me trade you. If you have USGI or HXP I'll trade you 1:1 with what you have. I'm trying to get as much spam can as possible. PM coming your way.

golddredger
03-18-2012, 3:06 PM
Ok a few questions. My son and I are very interested in this shoot. We will be coming down either way to watch or maybe shoot depending on how the practice goes this week with the weather. Snowing here in Paradise today. My question is: In prone, with old military you cannot use a Bipod right so what is the best position to use? I have searched videos on the tube and searched the net and there is very little talk on this. Everything is about using a Bipod. We do not ever shoot prone so this is what we need to practice this next 2 weeks to get it down before the shoot. So any tips on shooting prone or a video would be great showing the proper positions for this style shoot. We are practicing in the house and the prone position seems pretty hard to do. But Like I say this would be the first time in my life I have layed down with my gun. Thanks! Looking forward to this.

So I was just reading on the other post about the match and a front rest bag was mentioned! So we can use a front rest bag? If this is the case this just got a bunch better. We are holding the rifle completly and that is tough to do. But if we can use a front rest bag nothing mechanical we are in and I will do my best to be ready for the shoot along with my son. He is pretty excited to give this a go for sure.

Pthfndr
03-18-2012, 3:50 PM
Here's a picture of prone slung up. Not a great picture but it will give you the idea.

2shotjoe
03-18-2012, 5:08 PM
Ok a few questions. My son and I are very interested in this shoot. We will be coming down either way to watch or maybe shoot depending on how the practice goes this week with the weather. Snowing here in Paradise today. My question is: In prone, with old military you cannot use a Bipod right so what is the best position to use? I have searched videos on the tube and searched the net and there is very little talk on this. Everything is about using a Bipod. We do not ever shoot prone so this is what we need to practice this next 2 weeks to get it down before the shoot. So any tips on shooting prone or a video would be great showing the proper positions for this style shoot. We are practicing in the house and the prone position seems pretty hard to do. But Like I say this would be the first time in my life I have layed down with my gun. Thanks! Looking forward to this.

So I was just reading on the other post about the match and a front rest bag was mentioned! So we can use a front rest bag? If this is the case this just got a bunch better. We are holding the rifle completly and that is tough to do. But if we can use a front rest bag nothing mechanical we are in and I will do my best to be ready for the shoot along with my son. He is pretty excited to give this a go for sure.

You tie the sling to your arm, works in prone, sitting and standing.

http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/websling/webslinghelp.htm