PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a 1st AR-15!

glock600rr
03-17-2012, 8:18 PM
I'm shopping for my 1st AR-15 (already own a 9mm, .40 and 12 gauge). Can you give me recommendations for a good complete setup (complete setup out of box). I know I can build my own but I am leaning towards getting something from Colt, Daniel Defense, LRT, S&W, etc. I'm also not leaning towards anything too basic or simple (ie. M&P15) and would like something that I will not outgrow as I gain more experience. My budget is up to around $2k max. Thanks and look forward to everyones input!

Joe
03-17-2012, 8:22 PM
In my opinion.

$1000 - Get an inexpensive, good quality AR like a stag, RRA, etc.
$400 - Throw on a nice optic (eotech, aimpoint, etc.)
$600 - Buy a couple thousand rounds of ammo
Free - Enjoy

m16
03-17-2012, 8:27 PM
You do know that if you buy a complete rifle, you're going to pay an excise tax, right?

If you buy a complete lower and a complete upper and snap them together yourself, you will save some money - I'd be looking at Bravo Company and Daniel Defense.

ArmyInfidel
03-17-2012, 8:38 PM
Build your own!!! Or buy the best to start with... Avoid colt.... Complete waste of money

Lmt
Lwrc
Noveske
Larue
Or similar...

However most of the others will suit you just fine.

Give me Liberty or give me death!

My build thread.... http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=64161

Drivedabizness
03-17-2012, 9:20 PM
S&W M&P 15T - lots of add-on features (sights, rail, etc.)

Mine shoots VERY well and with a $9 trigger spring upgrade has a (for me) very serviceable trigger.

With a vertical grip, AimPoint, etc, I'm at around $1500 - which at your budget would leave you $$$ for another optic with magnification and 1000 rds of ammo.

Great value.

atakacorp
03-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Look around this forum "Help, my AR is this and my AR is that" maybe you should think about cheaper more reliable self-loading rifle :)

Trickpony
03-17-2012, 10:44 PM
There are so many good AR's out there it's tough to buy just one... Get a nice lower the way you like it and a couple uppers to play with. You'll be around the $2k mark for them both depending on what you get.

I'd stick with the reputable companies that use the best parts such as LOKI Weapon Systems, LWRC, LM&T or Daniel Defense. Get a stainless, nitride or hammer forged barrel and NiB BCG for sure!

Good luck!

Javi
03-17-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm also not leaning towards anything too basic or simple (ie. M&P15) and would like something that I will not outgrow as I gain more experience.

I don't really get this. I've seen guys on here going on their 4th build and they go back to the 'basics':

http://www.gunblast.com/images/HighStandard-AR15/MVC-001F.jpg

You can get the M&P 15 Sport and shoot the hell out of it with the money you saved and then decide to switch out the forearm, the sights, the grip, the buttstock, the trigger, add an optic, on & on & on.

TNP'R
03-17-2012, 10:51 PM
M&P 15's don't have to be "basic" there are other models of M&P 15's that aren't sporters.

mif_slim
03-17-2012, 10:52 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/mif_slim/2uh1nuq.gif

Ishoot
03-17-2012, 10:56 PM
I don't really get this. I've seen guys on here going on their 4th build and they go back to the 'basics':

You can get the M&P 15 Sport and shoot the hell out of it with the money you saved and then decide to switch out the forearm, the sights, the grip, the buttstock, the trigger, add an optic, on & on & on.

+1 I had to learn the hard way...I've done it all. From DI to POF/LWRC piston to Sig556, now back to basics. My next and last AR is the Colt 6920. It's not the hardware but the software. :) Tried and true combat rifle....and don't listen to the "Colt is a waste of money talk..." sometimes being different doesn't necessarily mean better.

17+1
03-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Look around this forum "Help, my AR is this and my AR is that" maybe you should think about cheaper more reliable self-loading rifle :)

:rolleyes:

Yeah and if you read what is being posted and look at it objectively, you will realize only a fraction of the AR problems being posted are legitimate. Most are problems with the monkey behind the trigger.

Fherot
03-17-2012, 10:57 PM
I've been digging around and going through AR build stuff and holy crap there's so many parts... to do what my Mini does yet Mini is like a handful of parts and also sends .223/5.56 downrange..

Don't get me wrong I WANT to build an AR and AK eventually but AR is hardest to justify.

kauaibuilt
03-17-2012, 11:04 PM

+1... Unless youre kicking down doors, doing competitions, or preparing for anarchy/unrest a basic rifle will do all the plinking and hunting you want it to. Plus it allows you to realize what short comings your specific rifle has and what you need to do to improve it and can go slowly - unless you win the $240 mil lottery on tuesday!

Lots of lowers, uppers, and complete rifles with low round counts in the sale section that wont break the bank.

Dont worry about outgrowing them. You could get a basic AR now. After a year or whatever swap out the barrel for a noveske/DD/WOA and a free float rail. Then upgrade the trigger. Then RDS or scope. Then.... Eventually all that youll have of the original rifle is gonna be the upper and lower receivers - everything else can be upgraded as time goes on.

jbush
03-18-2012, 5:57 AM
I see these questions ask all the time. I am a fairly new AR owner, but I own several other rifles, some that have been heavily customize for my taste and type of shooting. I had several ideas in mind as to what I wanted in an AR, but the bottom line was until you get one and put a few 1000 rounds through it, it is difficult to actually see and decide what upgrade/changes I want to make. I went with a fairly basic good quality AR that I can add to or change as I decide what I want out of it. I make eventually own more then one. Buy one that you like, shoot the hell out of it, upgrade as your tastes desire. The nice thing about the AR platform is upgrades are fairly ez.

mlevans66
03-18-2012, 8:24 AM
A M&P rifle is a good baseline rifle that you can build up. Look at Rifle Gears selection and pick which one suit you for your price range. Good luck on your purchase and show picks.