PDA

View Full Version : Damaged rifling?

chead
03-17-2012, 6:47 PM
I was just cleaning out the new AK (Century Polish Underfolder) and noticed that in the last quarter of the barrel on the muzzle side there is what looks like a small cut perpendicular to the rifling. I can't figure out what it is. Is this something I should be concerned about? I haven't noticed any issue when shooting it..

The bore isn't chromed, so it couldn't be chipping. I'm using a standard .30 cal bore snake, so it's not a rod nick.

AK all day
03-17-2012, 6:52 PM
Wouldn't stress about it. If you can't help but worrie, you could always counterbore depending on how far from the muzzle it is. I'm not an expert of any kind, just throwing out some input. :)

tujungatoes
03-17-2012, 7:04 PM
I doubt it's chipping, and I assume you know what the gas port looks like so you're not confusing it with a barrel flaw(those threads are always fun). Might be a mark left over from the manufacturing process.:shrug: can you get a picture?

chead
03-17-2012, 7:22 PM
I'm a dork, it's gotta be the gas port. It's right in that location, it just looks different from my '74 (this is my first 7.62 AK) since the bore's a lot larger. It's like a small triangle. If it was damage it wouldn't be so symmetrical.

HK Dave
03-17-2012, 8:37 PM
Hehe I was about to say, "Gas port" :P