PDA

View Full Version : California carry laws for a knife

Jimmy Deuce
04-13-2007, 8:59 AM
Just wanted to know if any one could tell me in plain english what the laws and or restrictions are on carring a knife in CA. I was thinking about getting a CRKT m16 folding type knife I think the blades approx 4 inches. I already looked it up onthe net and its all in legal jargin. Okay to carry open via clip show out side of front pocket?? Concealed legal???

Surveyor
04-13-2007, 9:04 AM
Folders have no minimum size requirements.

Double edge folders are okay.

Assisted opening is legal.

Concealed folders are legal. (Watch out for city ordinances,though)

CRKT is ok, but made in China.

Benchmade is way better.

Diablo
04-13-2007, 9:42 AM
http://www.equalccw.com/knifelaw.html

Go to this link. Great info.

Crazed_SS
04-13-2007, 11:34 AM
I remember some law about not carrying a knife over 4" in public buildings or something. It sounded like it was referring to places like courthouses, but someone here was saying it has been used to prosecute people carrying 4" or greater knives in general.

EDIT: 4 inches..It was 4 inches. This is what I was thinking about.. Like I said, "local public building" sounds like a govt building, but someone here was saying DA's can twist it to means the grocery store if they want.

171b. (a) Any person who brings or possesses within any state or
local public building or at any meeting required to be open to the
public pursuant to Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 54950) of Part
1 of Division 2 of Title 5 of, or Article 9 (commencing with Section
11120) of Chapter 1 of Part 1 of Division 3 of Title 2 of, the
Government Code, any of the following is guilty of a public offense
punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one
year, or in the state prison:
(1) Any firearm.
(2) Any deadly weapon described in Section 653k or 12020.
(3) Any knife with a blade length in excess of four inches, the
blade of which is fixed or is capable of being fixed in an unguarded
position by the use of one or two hands.
(4) Any unauthorized tear gas weapon.
(5) Any taser or stun gun, as defined in Section 244.5.
(6) Any instrument that expels a metallic projectile, such as a BB
or pellet, through the force of air pressure, CO2 pressure, or
spring action, or any spot marker gun or paint gun.
(b) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to, or affect, any of the
following:
(1) A person who possesses weapons in, or transports weapons into,
a court of law to be used as evidence.
(2) (A) A duly appointed peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5
(commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, a retired peace
officer with authorization to carry concealed weapons as described in
subdivision (a) of Section 12027, a full-time paid peace officer of
another state or the federal government who is carrying out official
duties while in California, or any person summoned by any of these
officers to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while he
or she is actually engaged in assisting the officer.
(B) Notwithstanding subparagraph (A), subdivision (a) shall apply
to any person who brings or possesses any weapon specified therein
within any courtroom if he or she is a party to an action pending
before the court.
(3) A person holding a valid license to carry the firearm pursuant
to Article 3 (commencing with Section 12050) of Chapter 1 of Title 2
of Part 4.
(4) A person who has permission to possess that weapon granted in
writing by a duly authorized official who is in charge of the
security of the state or local government building.
(5) A person who lawfully resides in, lawfully owns, or is in
lawful possession of, that building with respect to those portions of
the building that are not owned or leased by the state or local
government.
(6) A person licensed or registered in accordance with, and acting
within the course and scope of, Chapter 11.5 (commencing with
Section 7512) or Chapter 11.6 (commencing with Section 7590) of
Division 3 of the Business and Professions Code who has been hired by
the owner or manager of the building if the person has permission
pursuant to paragraph (5).
(7) (A) A person who, for the purpose of sale or trade, brings any
weapon that may otherwise be lawfully transferred, into a gun show
conducted pursuant to Sections 12071.1 and 12071.4.
(B) A person who, for purposes of an authorized public exhibition,
brings any weapon that may otherwise be lawfully possessed, into a
gun show conducted pursuant to Sections 12071.1 and 12071.4.
(c) As used in this section, "state or local public building"
means a building that meets all of the following criteria:
(1) It is a building or part of a building owned or leased by the
state or local government, if state or local public employees are
regularly present for the purposes of performing their official
duties. A state or local public building includes, but is not
limited to, a building that contains a courtroom.
(2) It is not a building or facility, or a part thereof, that is
referred to in Section 171c, 171d, 626.9, 626.95, or 626.10 of this
code, or in Section 18544 of the Elections Code.
(3) It is a building not regularly used, and not intended to be
used, by state or local employees as a place of residence.

slick_711
04-13-2007, 11:41 AM
I remember some law about not carrying a knife over 3" in public buildings or something. It sounded like it was referring to places like courthouses, but someone here was saying it has been used to prosecute people carrying 3" or greater knives in general.

Nope. In a courthouse you won't be able to carry a knife at all, they'll catch it coming through the metal detectors on the way in. There is no law about folder length though, actually theres not a length limit on fixed blades either as long as they are worn at the waist and not concealed. It would be completely legal to walk around with a saber at your side. You'd draw a lot of LEO attention though. I carry my folder everywhere (- only courthouses, airports, and other similar FED buildings).

Crazed_SS
04-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Nope. In a courthouse you won't be able to carry a knife at all, they'll catch it coming through the metal detectors on the way in. There is no law about folder length though, actually theres not a length limit on fixed blades either as long as they are worn at the waist and not concealed. It would be completely legal to walk around with a saber at your side. You'd draw a lot of LEO attention though. I carry my folder everywhere (- only courthouses, airports, and other similar FED buildings).

Hmm I usually carry this cheapy knife I got a big 5..
http://www.knivesplus.com/sw-homeland-security-sw-ck2b.html
It's just under 4" just in case. :)

Cpl_Peters
04-13-2007, 1:06 PM
i carry a S&W HRT with me everywhere. the blade is under 4" though

JPglee1
04-13-2007, 1:13 PM

Ive taken my 3" knives into courthouse at San Bernadino a couple times. If its under their limit, they let it thru...

At the courthouse I went to it said knives under 3.5" are legal.

I usually remove the last 1/2" of sharpened blade on the bottom so it makes the blade "shorter" and also safer so you don't cut yourself if your hand slips forward.

I don't like folders. I only use fixed blade knives (non concealed of course)

Good luck.

J

RANGER295
04-13-2007, 7:01 PM
We get so many questions on this topic that one of the more knowledgeable members should write a good summery and it should be made a sticky.

E__WOK
04-13-2007, 7:17 PM
CRKT is ok, but made in China.

Benchmade is way better.

Taiwan

wutzu
04-13-2007, 7:26 PM
The M-16 is a good deal, but spend a little more and get a benchmade griptilian. The Axis Lock is a gift from heaven.

1911_Mitch
04-13-2007, 9:13 PM
I prefer the Kershaw Leek

FMJBT
04-13-2007, 9:33 PM
Maxam Combat Knife. This is the culmination of about 3 months of intensive searching online for a knife to take on deployment to Kuwait this summer. I'd love to get a Benchmade, but there is a pretty good chance I may end up dropping the knife over the side of a small patrol boat, so it had to be CHEAP, but effective. I found a place online that sells them for $6.37. It has a 4 1/2" blade though, so leave it in the car if you go into any "public" buildings. I ordered 5 of them, one had the blade installed slightly crooked, so it became my test mule. I trimmed trees in my backyard with it, chopping through more than a dozen branches that were more than 2" thick. Afterwards the blade could still be used for slicing heavy cardboard boxes to go into the recycle bin. The knife never developed any side play, although it did develope a little play in the locking mechanism from all the chopping. I rotated the cross pin through the blade about 180 degrees with an allen wrench and it tightened right up. This knife actually chops better than my Kershaw Outcast fixed blade, which was designed specifically for chopping. Think of it as a small folding hatchet, that also happens to cut very well. The paint is starting to wear off of the blade since I used it to areate a section of my lawn (Picture Rambo III, probing for mines :D ). Eventually I'll probably DuraCoat it anyway.

http://www.ckbproducts.com/images/liner-lock-knives-skcombat.jpg
http://www.ckbproducts.com/product_info.php/cPath/246_254/products_id/1693

Mike

caseselfloather
04-14-2007, 12:18 AM
good choice on the crkt m16. my m16-12 has faithfully been in my pocket for the last 6+years, and hasn't let me down. a buddy of mine broke the tip off his and crkt sent him a brand new knife as a replacement.

Matt C
04-14-2007, 12:26 AM
I swear by the CRKT m16 myself. The 14LE SRT is ALWAYS on my pocket. There are better made knives out there, but IMO the index opening M16 is the fastest PERIOD, even including auto openers. It's also pretty tough and makes a good tool/combat knife. It's legal almost everywhere except a k-12 school and parts of Berkeley.

matarlegoate
04-14-2007, 9:01 AM
I'll just second the fact that you should watch out for city ordinances also. Many cities have a specific length after which a knife can be considered a "dangerous weapon". Normally this seems to be around 4" (YMMV).

There are also some laws pertaining to carrying knives on school grounds and children's play areas- come of which can lead to felony charges so be careful (review 626.10PC for an example).

DedEye
04-14-2007, 9:25 AM
I swear by the CRKT m16 myself. The 14LE SRT is ALWAYS on my pocket. There are better made knives out there, but IMO the index opening M16 is the fastest PERIOD, even including auto openers. It's also pretty tough and makes a good tool/combat knife. It's legal almost everywhere except a k-12 school and parts of Berkeley.

Amen brother. I have the M16-14 "Big Dog" and swear by it.

Ratters
04-14-2007, 1:00 PM
Yep, I love my M16. Opens very quickly one handed and is even though there are 'better' knives out there I've abused the hell out of mine and it still works great. And it was only $35 at Big 5.

NIB
04-15-2007, 6:29 PM
Many cities and county's have different ordinances so watch out!

I been told that in LA, the size limit is smaller than 3 inches. I can't remember the exact limit so I will have to look it up.

Matt C
04-15-2007, 6:40 PM

I been told that in LA, the size limit is smaller than 3 inches. I can't remember the exact limit so I will have to look it up.

:rolleyes:

M. Sage
04-15-2007, 6:50 PM

I saw BWO's reply and had to LOL myself!

ETA: After I quit laughing, I realized.. this is signature material!

singleshotman
04-16-2007, 9:32 AM
Just rememember, metal decectors work best on Carbon Steel, my father used to carry a 4" folding knife in his pocket his whole life, he had a Stainless Steel
knife and he carried it thru the metal detector in the San Francisco Airport and it didn't set off-True Stainless Steel is less than 50% Steel and is non- magnatic. He got tired of sharpening it(does not hold and edge well) and bought a High-Carbon Steel knife.Guess what, the next time he went thru a
metal detector it set it off. Of course this was pre 9/11 so they gave it back to him. So buy a cheap Stainless steel knife, check it with a magnat first, it should have no effect.

1911_sfca
04-16-2007, 12:59 PM
It's my understanding that state preemption laws prevent local governments from regulating weapons already regulated by the state, and that only the state has the power of weapons regulation. This is why the SF gun ban was thrown out of court.... but state preemption laws would also seem to invalidate any local LA law restricting the carry of a 3" folder.

That relates to firearms, not weapons in general.

NIB
04-16-2007, 1:03 PM
I saw BWO's reply and had to LOL myself!

ETA: After I quit laughing, I realized.. this is signature material!

That would explain a whole lot about LA.:D

Surveyor
04-16-2007, 1:20 PM
I been told that in LA, the size limit is smaller than 3 inches.

Yeah, 3 inches wide x 1 inch long! LA guys are hung like Tuna Cans :p !

Geoff C
04-16-2007, 2:11 PM
Kershaw Ken Onion Blackout - I don't leave home without it. :) It's sharper than most exacto blades, and yes, the assisted opening is a really nice feature. I also have a CRKT M16 but the thing was large enough that when I pulled it out to open an envelope it would make people jump. :p

-Geoff

http://www.robbinsinternational.com/outdoorgearstore/images/kershaw-blackout-black-folding-knife.jpg

hdcd
04-16-2007, 3:56 PM
I don't leave home without my Kershaw Speed Bump Ken Onion. Very nice "assist". :p

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/kershaw/images/1595.jpg

EricCartmann
04-16-2007, 4:27 PM
Just wanted to know if any one could tell me in plain english what the laws and or restrictions are on carring a knife in CA. I was thinking about getting a CRKT m16 folding type knife I think the blades approx 4 inches. I already looked it up onthe net and its all in legal jargin. Okay to carry open via clip show out side of front pocket?? Concealed legal???

Excellent choice! I carry the M16 with me all the time. Had it going on 2 years now and it's a great knife. Did not know something made in China could be so expensive.