PDA

View Full Version : Gun show

canative
03-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Just got back from the San Jose gun show. Wasted $17 for parking and entry. Went to possibly load up on some .223/5.56, the only place that was selling in bulk was Redline Ammo. They wanted $370+tax for 1K rounds. What a rip off! They also had green tips $190 for 500. Geez! Never going there again.

Oceanbob
03-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Just got back from the San Jose gun show. Wasted $17 for parking and entry. Went to possibly load up on some .223/5.56, the only place that was selling in bulk was Redline Ammo. They wanted $370+tax for 1K rounds. What a rip off! They also had green tips $190 for 500. Geez! Never going there again.

Guns shows aren't all that. In the age of Internet ordering with no taxes, sometimes free shipping and plenty of choices, gun shows in California are a waste of time.

When I do attend I do it for a fun Saturday. I don't expect any good deals mainly because not many good deals exist. With this new ammo buying frenzy and the resultant shortages expect full retail for ammo.

Some models of Guns are also getting in short supply and this keeps prices high. This is like 2008 all over again. ;)

Be well, Bob

s4alex
03-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Good, I was thinking of going, but I didnt wake up early enough. So, me and my buddy was going to go.

Looks like I may just skip this show and hold off for the show at the cow palace.

Was it busy? Dead? More jerky/junktown than guntown?

canative
03-17-2012, 11:33 AM
It was busy, quite a crowd. Yeah, a lot of junk. More like a flea market. Don't waste your time and money.

roushstage3
03-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Forgot all about it this weekend, now I am glad I did.

Handles
03-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of going, but will pass on it now.

alfred1222
03-17-2012, 1:01 PM
gun shows have really gotten bad lately. i stopped going and now order all my stuff online. its just way too expensive to buy local. but than again, i get to stop buying ammo altogether in a month!! my reloading press is on its way :D :D :D

s4alex
03-17-2012, 1:59 PM
I don't know. Maybe if I go and eat at Craw Daddy tomorrow, I might stop by before lunch. Walk around and see what kind of crap is around.

We will see how bored we are tomorrow.

I need to renew my NRA membership anyways.

itisagoodname
03-17-2012, 2:03 PM
Any AR pistol uppers or parts?? Need to know before i go tomorrow.

Thanks

LikeAllGuns
03-17-2012, 2:24 PM
I like gun shows just for small stuff...

Last one I got some ar re build kits for $15. Some nice ar mag pouches US military 3 for $10. An ar butplate with sling attatchment for $8....

Theres fun stuff at shows and just a fun day looking at guns and accessaries...

I did see AR pistol uppers at the last show I was at...cal expo

watsonville
03-17-2012, 3:14 PM
i just got ripped off i bought two 10rd beretta 92 mags and they hold 11 rds thanks alot but hey at least they were only 14$ a pop also is it possible to buy c&r long guns at the ca shows?i seen a few old 22's that id like to clean up

tahoetarga
03-17-2012, 3:33 PM
I too went this morning...had a $2 coupon from the paper, and parked on the street. There were a ton of people, and lots of junk: how could one vendor have what looked like thousands of used holsters??? Agree that ammo prices weren't great. Picked up a Magpul B.A.D. Lever for $30. Retail price but he had it and no tax. Kinda fun to look at all the bizarre people who come out for events like this!

microwaveguy
03-17-2012, 5:18 PM
If it rains tomorrow I might go ........... any decent ammo cans available?

s4alex
03-18-2012, 4:58 PM
Got back, lesson learned. Just wait for the show at the Cow Palace. Small show. LOTS of cheap chinese knock off stuff, NCStar etc., lots of rebuild kits.

A few vendors had ok/good prices on certain things, others not so much.

Got to renew my NRA membership, so it was not a total waste of an entrance fee, since it was free with the renewal. Did buy anything, was going to get ammo, but better deals were to be had online even with shipping. I did walk away with some ranger plates with with the ubbt on it plus some 10/30 pmag blocks. I was going to build them myself, but I was feeling lazy.

Jwind
03-18-2012, 6:49 PM
I dunno, I had a good time. Bought some p-mags, a giant bag of cleaning patches, a cmmg .22lr upper, and a cheapy looking, but completely worth it stun gun flashlight combo. Guess I came in with low expectations? :shrug:

Friends came out with a Kershaw folder, and tons of reloads from Redline.

Bobby Ricigliano
03-18-2012, 7:03 PM
Did you load up on beef jerky and leather belts? Sometimes the two are interchangeable.

jyo
03-19-2012, 12:19 AM
I agree, gun shows aren't what they used to be---however---they are part of the firearms culture that should be maintained. For me, gun shows are more than just buying stuff "cheap"---gun shows are where you meet your shooting buddies---maybe sell/trade some stuff you no longer need---and just doing some hanging out with people who like to shoot. Understand, once the internet takes over, there will be no gun shows and that would be sad indeed. There used to be a thriving camera show circuit---that's almost done. I support my local show (Glendale) for the above reasons.

forgiven
03-19-2012, 1:37 AM
Haven't thought of a decent reason to go for 20 years now. All the laws and closing of the Pomona show did it for me.