PDA

View Full Version : small video camera on AR

s2k1
03-17-2012, 9:36 AM
I planning on taking an AR courser, and was wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts on mounting a small camera on the handguard. I'm thinking it would be nice have a record of what I do. Not considering a helmet cam, becuase I'm sure there are persons that wouldn't want to be on camera (me being one of them). So if the camera is mounted on the AR, and since I plan on following the first rule of safety, no one will have to worry about that. I did find a camera pic mount

http://strikemark.com/products/digital-camera-picatinny-rail-mount/?gclid=CKCu9Ki37q4CFQJ9hwodiRObLw

but I wasn't planning on mounting something as big as a digital camera.

I'm researching how "stunt cameras" mount from here

http://stuntcams.com/shop/

but trying to see if anyone else has already done this.

Thanks!

dascoyne
03-17-2012, 11:08 AM
https://danieldefense.com/contour/contourhd-1080p-camera.html

duggan
03-17-2012, 11:10 AM
There are a few cameras out there for what you're talking about, do a search for gun mounted camera. Go pro, Epic, Burris Shotcam are some I've heard about, I have the Deer Ridge Innovations Camera mount but have not used it yet.

killemall419
03-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Check out the contour. The go pro's are nice, but they are a little bulky for the side of a gun. The contour is slightly smaller and they also make a picatinny mount for them, not sure if they have one for the go pro.

jonc
03-17-2012, 11:39 AM
i want 1:facepalm:

50deuce
03-17-2012, 1:53 PM
I figure you're looking for a small camera about the same size of a flashlight, and since the HD Metal Fire Camera, for example, may have the same (+/-) circumference of a flashlight, can you use the flashlight mount to mount the camera instead?

Or maybe get a flashlight mount that'll fit the size of the camera?
Just my two cent!

thevic
03-17-2012, 1:58 PM
Someone makes a picayinny mount for the go pro, but its pretty easy to attach a gopro on almost any part of a gun if you have some/all of the bar attachments

Cummins_Powered
03-17-2012, 2:26 PM
The contour looks pretty sleek on the rail of a gun, and ive heard good things about it.

ZombieTactics
03-17-2012, 2:43 PM
Here you go ... look no further, seriously:

sEm9upIThok

1Fastrider
03-17-2012, 3:30 PM
Rail mount by Contour works well for my Contour HD. Use the CGF link then go get it on Amazon :)
http://www.amazon.com/Contour-3900-Picatinny-ContourGPS-ContourHD/dp/B004L64758

JeremyKX
03-17-2012, 6:50 PM
+1 on Contour Roam or Contour HD1080P

BigFatPanda
03-17-2012, 6:54 PM
I have the GoPro Helmet Hero kit and used one of the supplied nylon strap mounts that came with it. I think it held up well not sure it will hold up in a intense class. There was a little camera sag in the beginning of the vid. That was my fault i didn't tighten the screws. The GoPro is definitely not as low profile as the Contour though. That should also be a consideration. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Q9j866M5A

Czechsix
03-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Some time soon I'll be mounting and taking some video with a Contour gun mount - FAL, AR, 15-22, etc, and posting it. I'm helping a guy out that makes ruggedized mounts for the contour, usually for mounting to helmets and such. Baja bike rider helmets, etc. He's working on a picatinny rail mount, and his mount + the contour make a nice, but tough system.

s2k1
03-18-2012, 9:27 AM
Thanks for all of the comments. I think I've narrowed my choices between the Contour HD and Tachyon. I'm a bit concerned about battery life, so it would seem that the removable battery on the Contour may be a better bet?

JeremyKX
03-18-2012, 11:20 AM
You'll get approx 3-4 hours of recording on the contour battery on default settings.

i have 2 backup batteries so its a non issue and it lets you know when it goes dead.

If you turn up the quality settings to super max like I have, battery drops to like 2 of use. If you aren't shooting, just turn recording off, saves a ton of battery.

NOTARPilot
03-18-2012, 11:54 AM
I've had the Tachyon, GoPro and Contour. The Tachyon is hands down the worst. The GoPro is good but not for having a low pro mount onto a weapon system. The Contour is your best bet for mounting on a rifle.

digitalelf
03-18-2012, 9:12 PM
The Tachyon is hands down the worst.

What made it the worst in your opinion?

rogtac
03-18-2012, 9:47 PM
If I may?

Step 1: look for coupon code below.
Step 2: Click link below.
Step 3: Look for a certain HD Camera

Note: My Picatinny mounts and spare batteries have not arrived yet.

Rocket Man
03-19-2012, 7:49 PM
I've had the Tachyon, GoPro and Contour. The Tachyon is hands down the worst. The GoPro is good but not for having a low pro mount onto a weapon system. The Contour is your best bet for mounting on a rifle.

What made it the worst in your opinion?

I'll second that question, why is it the worst?? You give reasons why GoPro is good and why Contour is best but no reasons why Tachyon is worst. I'm liking the rail attachments and aluminum housing (I'd put it in my rockets too) Also liking the one button push start. Wish it had 60fps though, maybe thats why you said worst?

Looks like it got great reviews;
15 five star ratings and one four star rating.

http://www.amazon.com/Tachyon-OPS-HD-Helmet-Camera/product-reviews/B005LU4U2S/ref=cm_rdphist_5?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addFiveStar

NOTARPilot
03-24-2012, 4:05 PM
The Tachyon was the worst based on quality of the camera itself, quality of video, ease of use and reliability.

digitalelf
03-24-2012, 11:07 PM
The Tachyon was the worst based on quality of the camera itself, quality of video, ease of use and reliability.

Interesting...

Overall, this was not my experience with the camera...

I found it could not be easier to use...

To use the Tackyon, you have all of one button; which both powers the camera AND starts it recording (and then shuts the camera off, and stops recording)...

I will say that I found the gun mount to be a little cheap (feels like something that should only be mounted on an airsoft or paintball gun). But this isn't an integral part of the camera itself...

And the recorded video did not want to play properly through Windows Media Player (but worked fine through Apple's Quick Time Player)...

But other than those two issues, I found the Tackyon to be a great little camera...

YMMV and all of that... :cool:

NOTARPilot
03-25-2012, 3:13 PM
Interesting...

Overall, this was not my experience with the camera...

I found it could not be easier to use...

To use the Tackyon, you have all of one button; which both powers the camera AND starts it recording (and then shuts the camera off, and stops recording)...

I will say that I found the gun mount to be a little cheap (feels like something that should only be mounted on an airsoft or paintball gun). But this isn't an integral part of the camera itself...

And the recorded video did not want to play properly through Windows Media Player (but worked fine through Apple's Quick Time Player)...

But other than those two issues, I found the Tackyon to be a great little camera...

YMMV and all of that... :cool:

I went thru 2 Tachyons before **** canning them..... On the first one the button quit working while just testing it at home.... It literally broke in about 5 minutes. The other one developed the same problem. Yes, the one touch button is easy to use but ease of use also applies to the software and compatibility to download and edit the video. As you found out it sucks with windows.

Having tried the Go Pro, Tachyon and Contour, the Tachyon rates the worst overall.... But that has just been my experience with them.

fusionstar
03-25-2012, 11:28 PM
I really hate the fisheye of the gopro. If you plan on recording anything smaller than a human past 15 feet, good-luck. Great for racing, or fast paced, in your face kind of camera.