PDA

View Full Version : Ar15 front sight help

Sturnovik
03-17-2012, 9:20 AM
I'm thinking of changing out my front sight and/or rear to fiber optic or tritium and was wondering if any if you guys had experience with these?

http://www.amazon.com/Truglo-Front-Sight-Ar-15-Green/dp/B002E6SXQG
http://www.opticsplanet.net/meprolight-self-illuminated-rifle-night-sights.html
http://www.opticsplanet.net/truglo-ar-15-firesight.html
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/HiViz-AR-15-Illuminated-Fiber-optic-Front-Sight/5393848/product.html?cid=123620
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=43971/pid=19708/Product/AR-15-SIGHTLINK-trade-FRONT-SIGHT?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&mc_id=10000&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c3466_a_7c100001466_d_ 100001463_d_11405

If I only end up choosing a front sight, I'm grabbing a troy diamond rear folding sight.

Any suggestions? I like the meprolight one since sometimes I'm shooting at darker times and/or backdrops that could use that sorta lighting.

tomd1584
03-17-2012, 12:24 PM
You'd be better served with a weapon light IMO. Cant hit what you can't see. VTAC mount with a G2 LED combo woot break the bank and will be much better than those options.

ETA: now that i'm on my computer, i can add a little more info. I've tried the Trijicon night sights and found them to be ok. But without knowing what your target is, it's hard to shoot at something when it's dark. You add a white light into the equation and the night sights basically lose their function/get washed out.

I do a LOT of night shooting and having a light on a defensive weapon is a #1 no-brainer above all else.

Apparently you can't get the VTAC/G2 LED combo direct from Viking Tactics anymore, but the mount is only $24.95 and the G2 LED can still be found for around $70.

Sturnovik
03-17-2012, 12:46 PM
You'd be better served with a weapon light IMO. Cant hit what you can't see.

VTAC mount with a G2 LED combo woot break the bank and will be much better than those options.

Already have a light, night sights are useful, that said I was more open to fiber optic simply because its a tad brighter.

I want this when the weather may not be as good or I'm shooting against targets that may blend in to well with the standard front sight. I just want something a tad quicker than a black post, but still a "fine" sight in terms of accuracy.

Any suggestions on sights guys?

-----Oh and yea I was on my phone posting to, its all good, I cant edit unless I'm on a computer anyways.

I do alot of pistol night shooting and shotgun, that said I personally have nothing against night sights, if I can get them for a tad more from the factory, I go for it, its helped me more times than I care to name. That said I know its a rifle, different ballpark.

That said I have a TLR1 on the left side, its pretty damn bright, 150 plus lumens, eh good enough for me at-least.

I saw some gopro/HD cam Pov footage of a guy doing Iron sights but fiber optic on his AR, and it was very quick, I'm wanting to try something along those lines.

Merc1138
03-17-2012, 12:49 PM
fiberoptic sights don't do any good in the dark.

tomd1584
03-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Already have a light, night sights are useful, that said I was more open to fiber optic simply because its a tad brighter.

I want this when the weather may not be as good or I'm shooting against targets that may blend in to well with the standard front sight.

Any suggestions on sights guys?

Before you drop the coin on a fiber optic front sight, go to the store and buy some fluorescent paint/sharpie and paint your current one. I did it with a silver sharpie and found that it does 92% the exact same thing than the Trijicon one i bought before.

Sturnovik
03-17-2012, 1:04 PM
Before you drop the coin on a fiber optic front sight, go to the store and buy some fluorescent paint/sharpie and paint your current one. I did it with a silver sharpie and found that it does 92% the exact same thing than the Trijicon one i bought before.

Yea I was looking at the mepro's, there just brighter overall, that is if I did go with NS over fiber optic or superluminova stuff. And yea I mean I'd love something cheap but dont mind paying 40-110 bucks or so for a quality sight or sight set.

I tried out a older AR out of state years ago and the guy had a 3 red dot system built in, it was ridiculously quick and even in low light, as long as there was a tad bit of light, it was brighter and stood out more than say a black sight, but I'm not knocking either.

LBDamned
03-17-2012, 1:55 PM
I have mepro front tritium with Troy rear tritium - works well in low and no light... as others have stated, fiber optic does nothing in low/no light - it is designed to collect/distribute light across the little bar, theoretically making the sight brighter than a solid post (I have one on a shotgun, does nothing really).

If you are looking for something worth using in dark/low light situations, the only thing that is going to work (as a sight) is tritium. Glow-in-the-dark paint or florescent paint wont do anything for you in the dark (glow needs light to charge and florescent isnt seen in the dark).

For daylight, the fiber optic front sights are okay (but really no better than a black post imo) - day glow, or florescent paint might be a good option...

Sturnovik
03-17-2012, 2:02 PM
Good to hear lbdamned. Was it easy to zero?

And are you using standard circle rear troy or the diamond?

LBDamned
03-17-2012, 2:57 PM
Good to hear lbdamned. Was it easy to zero?

And are you using standard circle rear troy or the diamond?

the mepro is A1 (5 notch) instead of A2 (4 notch that is more common these days) - I can't find a sight adjuster that works with it, so I use a tiny jewelers screwdriver... so the elevation isnt impossible, but not "easy" - no different than a standard sight, except that you need to be sure the tritium side faces rear (which is a bit daunting sometimes).

Initially I bought the di-optic aperture rear (diamond), but I didnt like it (many do)... I exchanged for round peep... personal preference... the Troy rear are easy to adjust windage....

in the whole of things, it's really no more difficult to zero than any other sights.

Sturnovik
03-17-2012, 4:58 PM
Right on. Yea I still have to figure out what my front sight type is A2 etc...

LBDamned
03-17-2012, 5:00 PM
Right on. Yea I still have to figure out what my front sight type is A2 etc...

4 notch (square) is A2, 5 notch (round) is A1... both fit - they are interchangeable

peter95
03-17-2012, 5:52 PM
ive never looked into nightsights for my rifle... interesting thought.

In a way, I guess it wouldn't be useful when you have red dot

LBDamned
03-17-2012, 7:49 PM
ive never looked into nightsights for my rifle... interesting thought.

In a way, I guess it wouldn't be useful when you have red dot

as long as your red dot doesnt crap out - thats why you have buis ;)