PDA

View Full Version : Need a (strong) (1 inch in diameter) (AA/AAA Battery Flashlight) (Less than 50$)

Danz la Nuit
03-17-2012, 8:08 AM
Looking for a (strong/bright) (1 inch in diameter) (AA or AAA Battery Powered Flashlight) (Less than 50$)

Richard Erichsen
03-17-2012, 8:42 AM
Looking for a (strong/bright) (1 inch in diameter) (AA or AAA Battery Powered Flashlight) (Less than 50$)

Good AND cheap? That's a tough call. I've got a pile of under $50 flashlights that failed early on because they weren't up to the task. I'm assuming since this is on the shotgun sub-forum you want a weapon light, rather than handheld.

Low cost flashlights are prone to failure for a variety of reasons, including their overall construction, switch type and bulb type, ability to adjust brightness and so on. The cheap ones fail from just being mounted to a shotgun and fail from the bump of recoil of the shotgun whether you use the flashlight or not.

Some of these flashlights come with brackets that a fairly light smack on a door jam and they crack or break. The only flashlights you can really trust your life to will be $90+ not including another $30 or more for a quality mount. LED flashlights are about the toughest of the group and the most costly, followed by Xenon bulbs which provide good illumination and longer life and then the more common filament bulbs that don't handle being banged around with every shot very well at all.

Typical batteries for the smaller flashlights aren't AA/AAA, but CR123/CR123A, or CR2 lithium cells rated for long service life. Have a look on MidwayUSA or some of the other large online retailers to get a sense of what is out there, typical prices and when you find a model that matches your requirements (anything in the 300 lumens category should be sufficient) see if you can find that model for less somewhere else.

Good luck,

R

m16
03-17-2012, 9:04 AM
I agree with everything said above.

Shotgun = lots of recoil, so an LED light would be ideal.

Problem is, good LED lights are more than $50.

I put a 6PX Defender on my 870, and I think I paid $150 for the light and a mount to go with it.

Triad
03-17-2012, 9:32 AM
Look into Solarforce.

I have one on my shotgun and it has stood up to quite a bit of abuse

FARRIER
03-17-2012, 9:38 AM
While I don't use sure-fire lights for shooting. I do use them at work for the local fire department. Any issue I have had, has been resolved through their customer service. I beat my flashlights up pretty bad and the sure-fires just keep coming back for more. You get what you pay for when it comes to a good flash light. Also be sure to find one that uses standard batteries as opposed to cr-123. They get expensive after awhile. Good luck on your search.

vintagedude88
03-17-2012, 9:45 AM
Look into Ultrafire available on Ebay.

Make sure you get one with a CREE led. Those are the super bright ones.

The ones I have run off a CR-123 battery. You can buy those from Surefire or get the rechargeable ones.(Help save the environment

ReaperCrew
03-17-2012, 12:54 PM
http://www.fire-field.com/content/tactical-shotgun-flashlight-120-lumen-ff21001k

Danz la Nuit
03-22-2012, 9:27 PM
//////

dstone20
03-22-2012, 10:33 PM
http://www.countycomm.com/aatactical.html

Under $50, well under, at the intro price currently available ($36). 1", CREE R2 LED, AA. Not sure if they are made in the US, or outsourced.

I have both the Ultrafire off ebay, and another Chinese brand called Hugsby off ebay. I think I paid $15 each, shipped. They are CREE LED lights, and so far very durable. The Hugsby seems to be better made than the Ultrafire. Thicker body, better finish. Have the Hugsby mounted on my POF 415 AR, no issues after 500 or so rounds. Have the Ultrafire mounted on my Mossberg 500. No issues after over 100 rounds of magnum buckshot and slugs. Both have survived submersion in water, and multiple drops onto concrete. (Not while mounted on the firearms.) :)

Obviously a Plant
03-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Home Depot has Coast Lights for about $40. I think the one I like is called the LED Lenser
3 AAA batteries, 90+ lumens with a rear push-button switch.
I have one on my AR, one in my tool bucket and I use it most days at work. The only problems I have had are the batteries running low and loosing them. I am impressed with them and rely on them. These two might fit the bill:
http://www.coastportland.com/px25-led-flashlight.htm
http://www.coastportland.com/a15-led-flashlight.htm

Lugiahua
03-22-2012, 11:33 PM
I use a modified Surefire G2 (a new one is about 90) with a elzetta mount on my 590.

effbeeeye
03-22-2012, 11:47 PM
4sevens.

http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_306

Their warranty covers any damage from weapon recoil.

I own three of their lights. They're excellent.

Giselle
03-23-2012, 4:56 AM
Costco has a 3 pack of Techlight Lumen Master flashlights for around $20 $25. 1" in diameter and takes 3 AAA batteries. I got one in my Christmas stocking from my brother. I liked it so much and went out and bought more for the house and car.

Spyder
03-23-2012, 7:05 AM
I've got a stack of PT2L lights. LOVE them.

If you have to go with AA batteries instead of the cr123, they make a version that is either one or two AA cells.

winston1911
03-23-2012, 9:28 AM
Look into the Jet-Beam PA10. 650 lumens off a rechargable 14500 battery.

As back up they also take a single AA that will put out 120 lumens. Cost is $69