PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to ship a gun to yourself?

gman183
04-13-2007, 12:52 AM
I am going to be traveling to NorCal in a few weeks for a family vacation and to attend a pistol class. It is a huge hassle to fly with a pistol, through the major airlines form LAX, let alone doing it with the wife and kids.

Is it legal to ship the pistol to myself at my friends house where I am staying?

E Pluribus Unum
04-13-2007, 12:57 AM
I am going to be traveling to NorCal in a few weeks for a family vacation and to attend a pistol class. It is a huge hassle to fly with a pistol, through the major airlines form LAX, let alone doing it with the wife and kids.

Is it legal to ship the pistol to myself at my friends house where I am staying?

If your friend plans on doing anything to the gun...

If you ship a gun for repairs... that will be shipped back to you... it is legal without an FFL.

If you have your friend put some new sights on the gun and ship it to him.... and he later informs you that he cannot get the sights and ships it back to you... that would be legal....

Hypothetical situation of course....

hoffmang
04-13-2007, 1:01 AM
You can ship a firearm to yourself. Follow the instructions from the ATF.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9

-Gene

bwiese
04-13-2007, 1:21 AM
I dunno why you think it's so hard to fly with a firearm, esp as it looks like you're on a single-hop flight.

I fly once or twice a year with lotsa hardware, and without problems (often an AR or two and a pistol or an AR, FAL and pistol, etc. - and usu at least 600+ rds of ammo).

In fact, sometimes you can check in more quickly because you are a "special" case.

E Pluribus Unum
04-13-2007, 1:35 AM
I dunno why you think it's so hard to fly with a firearm, esp as it looks like you're on a single-hop flight.

I fly once or twice a year with lotsa hardware, and without problems (often an AR or two and a pistol or an AR, FAL and pistol, etc. - and usu at least 600+ rds of ammo).

In fact, sometimes you can check in more quickly because you are a "special" case.

With "Lost baggage" being such an issue.... I would be leary of flying with my $2000 M1A rifle....

I might take my single shot $80 shotgun with me.....

Technical Ted
04-13-2007, 1:50 AM
In the last nine months I've flown in and out of several airports: San Francisco, Oakland, Ontario, Seattle, Rapid City, Sioux Falls, Salt Lake City, John F Kennedy, Atlantic City, Minneapolis, Detroit. I fly with a lot of video production equipment. Lots of cases with electronics, wires, metal, plastic and batteries that look interesting through an x-ray machine. I even have a hypercardioid microphone (I don't call it a shotgun on airport property with my complexion) with pistol grip mount that always draws a crowd -- or at least added attention.

Each airport has its own layers of security measures in addition to those set up by the TSA (which also vary by location).

I've flown through LAX in the past and I can easily believe that it could be more difficult to fly into or out of there legitimately with a firearm.

JGarrison
04-13-2007, 4:36 AM
B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

drawn
04-13-2007, 5:03 AM

Don't fly away from home without one or more.
The last time I left Chicago I told the sky cap I couldn't use is services because I had to declare a firearm. He said bull puckey and right there on the curb I signed the unloaded declaration, put it in the case before repacking it in my luggage. No problems.

1911su16b870
04-13-2007, 8:22 AM
FWIW I take down my firearms and ship them via fedex to myself in two boxes (neither box will contain all the parts to assemble a functional firearm) when I have to fly over state lines for ATF FAQ "B9" purposes. I have heard too many stories about trying to check firearms/and get them back with your luggage when you fly.

battlehatch
04-13-2007, 8:32 AM
I have flown recently with firearms. I had my G22 Walther bullpup and my XD45 in the same locked container. I just notified the check in agent that I had firearms. She went with me to the TSA area. They checked my stuff, made sure it wasn't loaded, and locked everything back up. It took about 20 mins to do. The only thing that wasn't kosher is in a separate locked container in a separate bag, I had about 500 rounds of .22lr in the bulk pack box. It's permissable to check in ammo as long as it's under 11lbs total(depending on the carrier) and in actual trays. It cannot be loose or in a bulk box as if bought at walmart. I got into it with the TSA agent about this, stating that I followed protocol and that nothing is mentioned about needing to have them in trays or holders. I told her just dispose of it then. She told me that I have to go to the Police Station to dispose of it, but that would have made me miss my flight. I went curbside and grabbed an Oakland PD officer to help me with the situation. He basically told her that if she wasn't going to let me fly with it, she had to dispose of it. So I lost $10 worth of ammo over it, and she got to count, catalog, and report on 500 rounds of .22lr ammo. I got a chuckle out of it. I also brought with me a copy of the FAA regs. This helped alot because the TSA people really don't know what they are doing.

EOD Guy
04-13-2007, 9:15 AM
I have flown recently with firearms. I had my G22 Walther bullpup and my XD45 in the same locked container. I just notified the check in agent that I had firearms. She went with me to the TSA area. They checked my stuff, made sure it wasn't loaded, and locked everything back up. It took about 20 mins to do. The only thing that wasn't kosher is in a separate locked container in a separate bag, I had about 500 rounds of .22lr in the bulk pack box. It's permissable to check in ammo as long as it's under 11lbs total(depending on the carrier) and in actual trays. It cannot be loose or in a bulk box as if bought at walmart. I got into it with the TSA agent about this, stating that I followed protocol and that nothing is mentioned about needing to have them in trays or holders. I told her just dispose of it then. She told me that I have to go to the Police Station to dispose of it, but that would have made me miss my flight. I went curbside and grabbed an Oakland PD officer to help me with the situation. He basically told her that if she wasn't going to let me fly with it, she had to dispose of it. So I lost $10 worth of ammo over it, and she got to count, catalog, and report on 500 rounds of .22lr ammo. I got a chuckle out of it. I also brought with me a copy of the FAA regs. This helped alot because the TSA people really don't know what they are doing.

Actually, there is an exception in the DOT regulation for .22 caliber rimfire ammunition. The bulk box should have been acceptable. Convincing an airline clerk or TSA rep might be difficult and I wouldn't fly with a bulk box of .22.

singleshotman
04-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Back in the old days i lived in Northern California, and i bought a .22 ruger pistol as a gift for my girlfriend, who lived in Huntington Beach, CA When the 10 day wait was over i asked the gunshow owner to ship the handgun to her address(the pistol was DROS'd to her). He refused, said it was illegal. When we returned to Southern California via airline i declared it as a firearm and had no trouble, of course this was pre-9/11. I still think the gunshow owner was wrong.

singleshotman
04-13-2007, 10:03 AM
P.S. We are still married after 16 years and i'm teaching my 13 year old daughter to shoot soon.

bwiese
04-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Back in the old days i lived in Northern California, and i bought a .22 ruger pistol as a gift for my girlfriend, who lived in Huntington Beach, CA When the 10 day wait was over i asked the gunshow owner to ship the handgun to her address(the pistol was DROS'd to her). He refused, said it was illegal. When we returned to Southern California via airline i declared it as a firearm and had no trouble, of course this was pre-9/11. I still think the gunshow owner was wrong.

I believe a gun 'delivery' for purchase (as opposed to return after a repair) must be done at the licensed premises or at the gunshow where the FFL is doing biz.

Fjold
04-13-2007, 12:05 PM

If you ship a gun for repairs... that will be shipped back to you... it is legal without an FFL.

If you have your friend put some new sights on the gun and ship it to him.... and he later informs you that he cannot get the sights and ships it back to you... that would be legal....

You can only ship a pistol to an FFL licensed gunsmith or the manufacturer for repair without going through another FFL. Your friend cannot keep a gun overnight for gunsmithing unless he has the FFL.

tetris
04-13-2007, 2:42 PM
You can only ship a pistol to an FFL licensed gunsmith or the manufacturer for repair without going through another FFL. Your friend cannot keep a gun overnight for gunsmithing unless he has the FFL.

What if you are in the process of changing your residency from one state to another, or if you own a house or lease an apartment in two states? Can you then ship the pistol from one home to another to yourself?

-hanko
04-13-2007, 3:29 PM

Real situation (and cutting to the answer;) )...perfectly legal to ship a gun to yourself. Your reason doesn't matter. Your friend does NOT need to work on the gun...in fact, you should be the one to open the package. You can also ship the gun back to yourself, legally.

-hanko

EPU...do you check your answers before posting??

Fjold
04-13-2007, 3:33 PM
Yes, you can ship a gun to any address (except schools, prisons, jails, etc.), as long as it adressed to you.

hoffmang
04-13-2007, 5:07 PM
tetris,

The answer to your question is on the ATF FAQ linked above and is generally yes.

-Gene

bwiese
04-13-2007, 5:34 PM

Not quite. You can send the gun to yourself, care of your brother in law (what have you). He leaves it in a sealed package.

This works even in CA (unless it's an AW) because then it's an inside-CA only (not interstate) problem, and also because there's 12072? 12078? infrequent loan provisions also offering protection.