PDA

View Full Version : Some CMP Garand Questions?

Capybara
03-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Hi all:

I just ordered my first CMP Garand today, an H&R Service Grade Special. I have also ordered some en blocs, an en bloc belt, a sling, 500 rounds of the CMP Hornady M1 ammo. I want to buy some HXP but none of the three ranges I shoot at will let me use magnetic so...I will probably buy some just to put some new bullets into the rounds once I get into reloading but for now, will probably just shoot the Hornady ammo.

1. Do the CMP guns come with the buttstock cleaning kit usually?

2. Even if it does, do you recommend actually using it or buying normal .30-06 brushes to use with my stainless one piece cleaning rod? What about a ratcheting chamber brush, do I need one?

3. Grease recommendations? I use Hoppes and Frog Lube on all of my other guns, I take it my M1 will be happiest with real gun grease on moving parts in the action?

4. Any gotchas or things to look out for (other than M1 thumb) as I do my first disassembly before shooting it? I bought an www.m1buddy.com that looked like a convenient way to hold the action open for chamber brushing. Luckily between the manual, the disassembly/assembly guide that I ordered and some YouTube videos, I feel pretty confident that I can handle the disassembly and assembly, it looks like a relatively simple gun. I did order a Service Grade Special, which is supposed to have almost new metal so hopefully it will already be in decent shape to shoot, other than checking it out, grease, make sure the barrel is clean and unobstructed?

I have about 35-38 days to wait probably until the gun arrives so I need to get up to speed on the care and feeding of the M1.

Thanks for any advice.

Red Devil
03-17-2012, 12:21 AM
Hi all:

I just ordered my first CMP Garand today, an H&R Service Grade Special. I have also ordered some en blocs, an en bloc belt, a sling, 500 rounds of the CMP Hornady M1 ammo. I want to buy some HXP but none of the three ranges I shoot at will let me use magnetic so...I will probably buy some just to put some new bullets into the rounds once I get into reloading but for now, will probably just shoot the Hornady ammo.

1. Do the CMP guns come with the buttstock cleaning kit usually?

2. Even if it does, do you recommend actually using it or buying normal .30-06 brushes to use with my stainless one piece cleaning rod? What about a ratcheting chamber brush, do I need one?

3. Grease recommendations? I use Hoppes and Frog Lube on all of my other guns, I take it my M1 will be happiest with real gun grease on moving parts in the action?

4. Any gotchas or things to look out for (other than M1 thumb) as I do my first disassembly before shooting it? I bought an www.m1buddy.com that looked like a convenient way to hold the action open for chamber brushing. Luckily between the manual, the disassembly/assembly guide that I ordered and some YouTube videos, I feel pretty confident that I can handle the disassembly and assembly, it looks like a relatively simple gun. I did order a Service Grade Special, which is supposed to have almost new metal so hopefully it will already be in decent shape to shoot, other than checking it out, grease, make sure the barrel is clean and unobstructed?

I have about 35-38 days to wait probably until the gun arrives so I need to get up to speed on the care and feeding of the M1.

Thanks for any advice.

Well...

A.1 No. but they sell'em at the e-store. I use it for a emergency rod and sometimes to coat the bore after I shoot so it can soak 'till I get around to cleanin' it.

A.2 I use a Outers brass segmented rod... ~ $8 bucks. Just wipe it to keep the grit off it. I pull my brushes the first few times while the rifle is on its back to get the heavy crud out the muzzle. Then, after a few jag patches, I'll scrub it. Run the rod down the bore, drill the rod onto the brush/patch eye, and pull. Then unscrew and repeat.

A.3 If it spins - oil it... If it slides - grease it. The CMP site has lube charts as does others. I like the "Super Tech Marine Grease" from Walmart, in the 3oz. tubes. Beats the milspec stuff and $5 bucks is a lifetime supply. I also like CLP Break-Free for oil.

A.4 Garand-thumb is a myth. It only happens during inspections of empty rifles. When you load a clip into the rifle, you have to push it all the way down and then release the pressure for the bolt to travel forward, and it will also be pickin' up a round. Some also need a slap to the op-rod handle.

My advice would be:
- Swap your ammo for the cheaper HXP while it lasts unless you have range restrictions.
- Don't over-grease unless you like to both wear it and eat it... a little dab'll do.
- Watch the M1 Garand Marksmanship vids and practice snappin'-in and dry-firin'... and aim every shot.
- Once sighted... stay off the bench and shoot from field positions... as God and John C. Garand intended... :D

Rifle Marksmanship with the M1 Rifle 1942 Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoZ_usoFVSc)

Rifle Marksmanship with the M1 Rifle 1942 Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bmdxZwvkoQ)

Enjoy.

Cactus_Tim
03-17-2012, 8:05 AM
I just sent my order for an M1 from CMP.
Where did you order your en blocs and cartridge belt?
There's none on their website.

Capybara
03-17-2012, 9:53 AM
Thanks for the tips Red Devil, I really appreciate it. This is going to be the coolest gun I have ever owned. Let's see, I have a nice 1911, now the Garand, I suppose an M1 carbine needs to be next?

Well...

A.1 No. but they sell'em at the e-store. I use it for a emergency rod and sometimes to coat the bore after I shoot so it can soak 'till I get around to cleanin' it.

A.2 I use a Outers brass segmented rod... ~ $8 bucks. Just wipe it to keep the grit off it. I pull my brushes the first few times while the rifle is on its back to get the heavy crud out the muzzle. Then, after a few jag patches, I'll scrub it. Run the rod down the bore, drill the rod onto the brush/patch eye, and pull. Then unscrew and repeat.

A.3 If it spins - oil it... If it slides - grease it. The CMP site has lube charts as does others. I like the "Super Tech Marine Grease" from Walmart, in the 3oz. tubes. Beats the milspec stuff and $5 bucks is a lifetime supply. I also like CLP Break-Free for oil.

A.4 Garand-thumb is a myth. It only happens during inspections of empty rifles. When you load a clip into the rifle, you have to push it all the way down and then release the pressure for the bolt to travel forward, and it will also be pickin' up a round. Some also need a slap to the op-rod handle.

My advice would be:
- Swap your ammo for the cheaper HXP while it lasts unless you have range restrictions.
- Don't over-grease unless you like to both wear it and eat it... a little dab'll do.
- Watch the M1 Garand Marksmanship vids and practice snappin'-in and dry-firin'... and aim every shot.
- Once sighted... stay off the bench and shoot from field positions... as God and John C. Garand intended... :D

Rifle Marksmanship with the M1 Rifle 1942 Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoZ_usoFVSc)

Rifle Marksmanship with the M1 Rifle 1942 Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bmdxZwvkoQ)

Enjoy.

Capybara
03-17-2012, 9:57 AM
Hi Tim:

I love the fact that I can buy a new replica en bloc belt on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G9WIO2/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Ordered the en blocs from http://www.keepshooting.com/m1-garand-en-bloc-clip-10-pack.html

I just sent my order for an M1 from CMP.
Where did you order your en blocs and cartridge belt?
There's none on their website.

AlexKintner
03-17-2012, 12:34 PM
If you are going to shoot it often, learn to reload. It pays for itself in no time with 30-06. Also, don't use commercial ammo that is not specifically for the Garand without an adjustable gas plug. Enjoy, they shoot amazing and you will be the envy of everyone at the range. Everyone loves that "ching" sound of the clip being ejected.

Capybara
03-17-2012, 4:13 PM
Hi Alex:

Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered the Hornady ammo from the CMP, it is listed right below the HXP ammo on their order page, it is made specifically for the M1 Garand. I am going to order some HXP once the rifle arrives, I found out from another Calgunner who posted above that the Winchester Canyon range up in Santa Barbara will allow me to shoot magnetic ammo there but the four ranges in LA area that I go to that will not so I will probably be using both the Hornady and the HXP, depending on where I am shooting.

I want to get into reloading but unfortunately time is at a premium for me so I am going to very slowly ease into doing it with my son. But I hate to invest in all of the gear and supplies to do it only to see it collecting dust. The few free days I get off from work, I want to go shooting but I do want to learn to reload. With .30-06 ammo, it seems the smart thing to do, not so sure if it is as worth it with my 5.56, .223 and 9mm ammo? I do like to shoot trap though and I know it is worth it with 12ga.

If you are going to shoot it often, learn to reload. It pays for itself in no time with 30-06. Also, don't use commercial ammo that is not specifically for the Garand without an adjustable gas plug. Enjoy, they shoot amazing and you will be the envy of everyone at the range. Everyone loves that "ching" sound of the clip being ejected.

Markus
03-18-2012, 8:49 AM
Once you get a reloading setup the cost to add another caliber plus components is usually less than what it costs to buy 1k rounds of that caliber.

Paul S
03-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Capy:
I would also recommend you start perusing the CHP forum.
There's a lot of knowledge there about a wide variety of issues with the M1 and the Carbine as well as reloading.
http://forums.thecmp.org/