PDA

View Full Version : good AR15 Iron Sights?

Mango
03-16-2012, 4:10 PM
Hello all,

I just bought my first AR15 this weekend and while it is waiting in jail i have been looking into rear iron sights for it. I was wondering if any of you have had or know of some good sights for under $80. I am planning on getting a red dot or maybe even telescopic scope eventually (probably a few years away), so fold down would be preferred, though i'm not opposed to fixed. Two of the sights i've seen and liked so far have been the Magpul Gen2 fold down, and the Daniel Defense fixed. So if you have any recommendations on those that would be greatly appreciated too.

Turbo311
03-16-2012, 4:27 PM
Look at Troy they both fixed and folding.

SurfRider19
03-16-2012, 4:35 PM
^^^+1. just pricey in comparison to say MBUS sights, however shop around and you can probably find them on sale (I know i did) which made the extra cost less of an issue. Troy makes really solid sights, great construction, very happy with mine. I am more confident in them that if hit they won't break or get knocked out of zero. Highly recommended

hnoppenberger
03-16-2012, 4:37 PM
get a carry handle you wont be dissapointed. if your thinking years away for optics just build another upper to go with that.

Jeffy
03-16-2012, 4:39 PM
I use Troy flip-ups but I like LaRue's Iron Sight with VFZ (Save $25 over QD). It's comparable to the DD BUIS.

tradecraft
03-16-2012, 4:40 PM
Well the Magpul ones aren't "iron" so that disqualifies them. If you want to go budget, try a Matech - you can normally pick them up for $30-40.

LAL6
03-16-2012, 4:41 PM
+1 for Troy

monk
03-16-2012, 4:46 PM
get a carry handle you wont be dissapointed. if your thinking years away for optics just build another upper to go with that.

Could also get an A3/A4 upper and get a detachable carry handle.

Personally I'm going to be getting the MBUS front and rears just to try them out. I like the new gen 2's. Given that it's polymer and it's magpul, I'm hoping they're just as good as other polymer handguns. We'll see.

G60
03-16-2012, 5:02 PM
Don't get the magpuls. They're barely adequate as BUIS, much less being used as your primary sighting system for any amount of time.

TacoJockey
03-16-2012, 5:04 PM
I have a set (front & rear) of fixed LMT A2 sights, really well built. They cowitness perfectly with a bushnell TRS25 red dot on a riser. I picked up the LMTs as a set from Botach for around $60.

smog7
03-16-2012, 5:07 PM
here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Model-Complete-Match-grade-Sight/dp/B001BR4VQ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331942843&sr=8-1

NeoGeo630
03-16-2012, 5:07 PM
Just get Troy flip ups and be done with it.

gmcal
03-16-2012, 5:11 PM
Skip the MBUS. I have a set and IMO, it is wasted money.

Flips ups, Troy is good but there is also MI (Midwest Industries), ARMS, Diamond Head (and others) that are worth a look.

Fixed, LMT all the way. Love mine, and IMO, they are the best rear sight out there. Only problem is you can't use mount them when using magnified optics. They will work with red dots though.

sephy
03-16-2012, 5:15 PM
I have Troy and really like it but they are expensive.

Check out this Daniel Defense sight:
Link (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Daniel-Defense-A1-5-Fixed-Rear-Sight-p/dd-11002.htm) (after I posted it I realize that you listed that, and I think it is a great option)

There is also the LaRue QD:
Link (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LaRue-Tactical-Rear-BUIS-QD-LT-103-p/larue%20tactical%20lt-103.htm)

Baconator
03-16-2012, 5:16 PM
I have the MBUS, never had issues with accuracy on them. Not everyone is going to be shooting long distance iron site shots so that is why there are cheaper options. I have them on 2 uppers and didn't have a difference in accuracy vs my dd sites. YMMV

gesundheit
03-16-2012, 5:55 PM
what about Matech BUIS? Isn't the military using them?

cwin
03-16-2012, 6:20 PM
+1 for Troy, although they are going to be about twice your budget. I also have a set of Magpuls...they aren't as bad as some people say. I think they are a decent low cost alternative to Troys.

penguinofsleep
03-16-2012, 6:31 PM
how do GG&G folding sights compared (bot spring loaded and no) to the rest of the ones being mentioned?

also are there other front iron sights that are shaped like the MBUS front sight? personally, i prefer the way the sides bend inwards a little bit as they go up VS the normal bunny ears that go out as they go up. really like HK style fronts but not as much on ARs.

Purple K
03-16-2012, 7:04 PM
I use the ARMS 40 on all my builds. Around $80 on eBay if you're patient.

h0use
03-16-2012, 11:32 PM
save and get the troys

thedudeabides
03-17-2012, 12:12 AM
TROY! top notch quality.

monk
03-17-2012, 1:26 AM
Skip the MBUS. I have a set and IMO, it is wasted money.

Flips ups, Troy is good but there is also MI (Midwest Industries), ARMS, Diamond Head (and others) that are worth a look.

Fixed, LMT all the way. Love mine, and IMO, they are the best rear sight out there. Only problem is you can't use mount them when using magnified optics. They will work with red dots though.

Any particular reason why you don't like the MBUS?

P.Charm
03-17-2012, 1:38 AM
I have a midwest industries flip up and love it, but it won't fit under my magnifier. looks like I have to trade it for a magpul or something like that.

btw my friend has a LMT fixed on hers and it's a nice piece and can be found new for 50 shipped.

Mail Clerk
03-17-2012, 6:31 AM
Hello all,

I just bought my first AR15 this weekend and while it is waiting in jail i have been looking into rear iron sights for it. I was wondering if any of you have had or know of some good sights for under $80. I am planning on getting a red dot or maybe even telescopic scope eventually (probably a few years away), so fold down would be preferred, though i'm not opposed to fixed. Two of the sights i've seen and liked so far have been the Magpul Gen2 fold down, and the Daniel Defense fixed. So if you have any recommendations on those that would be greatly appreciated too.

Mango,

Since you need sights for around $80 or so I suggest you get the Magpuls like you already mentioned. They may be polymer BUT if you don't go out in the bush then they're more than adequete or the job. I ssume Daniel Defense has a verson in iron but personally I don't have any experience with them. The Magpuls are fine in my book and are durable as long as you don't deliberately bang your rifle around or compete.

Mail Clerk:oji: