PDA

View Full Version : FAL Guys... Please Recommend a Good Muzzle Brake!

4DSJW
03-16-2012, 3:00 PM
I'm in need of a muzzle brake to replace the flash suppressor on my FAL (Imbel kit on a DSA receiver) before I can go featureless. The 21" barrel is threaded and currently sports a Belgian short flashider.

It would be great to find a muzzle brake that works well and does something besides just covering up the threaded end. I am not at all familiar with what is available or what works and I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks for the Help!

Sicarius
03-16-2012, 3:59 PM
I have a PWS on my FAL. It works great and really pisses off your rangemates/friends.
Kevin

C.G.
03-16-2012, 7:46 PM
I've had DSA and Entreprise brakes on my FALs. They both worked well, but the DSA has a slight edge over the Entreprise in my book.

dfletcher
03-16-2012, 8:55 PM
I have the Steyr short on a 16.25" carbine, seems to work fine. A touch loud but it has no "bottom" and puts out blast at the 12 & 6, 3 and 9 direction.

NSR500
03-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Surefire or AAC

BHPFan
03-17-2012, 6:35 AM
Right now, if you want to go featureless, you can do the following (in order of the less expensive to the most):
1) Get an Entreprise muzzle brake, you can still find them and get them from them.
2) Get a Stg58 style muzzle brake, I don't know if DSA is still making them (the long and short versions) as I cannot find them in their website. However, you can still find them on the internet if you look more thoroughly.
3) Find an older PWS FAL brake as this does not have the FH capability of the current ones.
4) Get a thread adapter to go with your .308AR brake of choice as FAL barrels use a different thread (9/16 x24LH). You cannot rethread the FAL barrels to the 5/8x24 tpi of the .308 AR due to slimmer barrel Overall Diameter unless your FAL barrel is a Heavy Barrel or Medium Countour.
5) I haven't seen it done nor have done it myself, but based on the stats of this product:
http://www.dsarms.com/SA58-FAL-OSW-13-Complete--Front-End-308-Cal---00113C/productinfo/00113C/
You can try to rethread the FAL barrel to the 1/2x28 TPI used by the .223/5.56 ARs and find a comp of that thread with a bigger hole. However, I just don't know if that option is possible.

4DSJW
03-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Thank you so much, I knew that at least a few of the CGers would have FAL's and have some ideas. Now I have somewhere to start.

Interesting observation on the two different versions of the PWS, any way to tell them apart?

Besides C.G. as anyone played with more than one of these on their rifle to compare the effectiveness?

Thanks!

BHPFan
03-17-2012, 4:46 PM
Thank you so much, I knew that at least a few of the CGers would have FAL's and have some ideas. Now I have somewhere to start.

Interesting observation on the two different versions of the PWS, any way to tell them apart?

Current PWS FAL brake:

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=130&idcategory=6

Older version:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=140261&stc=1&d=1332031404

You'll see that the old one is all "crowned" and "flat" at the end, which makes it ideal for featureless.

Besides C.G. as anyone played with more than one of these on their rifle to compare the effectiveness?

Thanks!
I have a DSA STG58-like MB and the old PWS. I felt that both do the job with only a slight edge for the PWS. However, the PWS is a lot louder. The DSA one is not quite as noisy, but it makes the rifle a little bit front heavier.

Mail Clerk
03-18-2012, 7:47 AM
I have an Entreprise version and it works well enough for me. Besides any version is better than none!

Mail Clerk

4DSJW
03-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Thank you for the info, I'm happy to hear all ideas and I always learn something new.

BHPFan, have you seen this BATFE letter (http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/documents/ATF_FSC556.pdf) (PDF) regarding the current PWS for the FAL. I'd like to hear your thoughts on how this might effect its use in CA.

Thanks Again!

BHPFan
03-18-2012, 3:09 PM
Thank you for the info, I'm happy to hear all ideas and I always learn something new.

BHPFan, have you seen this BATFE letter (http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/documents/ATF_FSC556.pdf) (PDF) regarding the current PWS for the FAL. I'd like to hear your thoughts on how this might effect its use in CA.

Thanks Again!

Regarding the current PWS for the FAL, I wouldn't put that in a featureless build myself. I feel the CADOJ will still see it differently as in "it's still a Flash Suppressor". As much as the BATF has proven that it's not a Flash Suppressor, I will still guard myself from whether CADOJ will interpret differently even if I show the BATF letter. Therefore, I'll go with muzzle brakes that have no "prongs" to that make it look like a FH.

I wonder if there are any featureless SCAR (16s or 17s) rifles using their pronged MB or if there are any featurelss AR's using the FSC556 MB.

4DSJW
03-18-2012, 4:14 PM
I have to agree that it is "better safe than sorry" when it comes to a featureless build. Even if they eventually find a device to be a MB there will be a lot of drama, potentially expensive drama, before the fat lady sings. Thanks for your suggestions and ideas.

Sicarius
03-19-2012, 8:38 AM
I have the older version without the prongs on the front.
Kevin