DPMS or M&P

DannyInSoCal
03-15-2012, 9:36 PM
Treat yourself to more knock down power -

Go with the 6.8 SPC II......

ilovemyar
03-15-2012, 9:42 PM
Colt SP6920CA Carbine Rifle

Riflegear has one on sale, check it out.

SuperSet
03-15-2012, 9:42 PM
Intended use? Plinking, carbine class, 3-gun, safe queen? Budget?

LikeAllGuns
03-15-2012, 9:48 PM
Spikes tactical middy... I own one which is rock solid...No malfunctions just a litttle over 1500 rds through it..

There are much better reviews then I could ever give, but some of the folks do say they are as good as colts..

Check out spikes web they really give detail on there firearms.

Google and calgun ''review spikes tactical'' I have not found a negative review.They may be out there.

Good luck on your build.

Thank you for your service to our country.

I built my spikes middy for $770

gunsmoke50
03-15-2012, 10:00 PM
If you got the cash, I'd say get a lwrc m6a2. It always puts a smile on my face after cleaning it compared to the time it used to take on the m16.

Semper Fi.

jbush
03-15-2012, 10:10 PM
There's alot of reliable ARs with good reviews. Palmetto State Armory, Daniel Defense, Stag, on and on. Might want to go to a couple black rifle stores and handle a few different brands.

Fherot
03-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Turner's has the Ruger SR556 E model for $1200, it's a piston AR and one of the best values for the price. It doesn't have the heavy Troy industries quad-rail as the full version and lacks some chrome plated internals (which doesn't really matter in my opinion... dirt is dirt...).

Check them out, plenty of good reviews and I dont think you can beat that price.

SuperSet
03-15-2012, 10:19 PM
$1200 is a very doable budget for a complete basic rifle. And the names have already been mentioned - Daniel Defense, Stag, M&P, Colt.

NYY
03-15-2012, 10:21 PM
if you want Plain jane, no fancy stuff here, $1200 will get you a dammnn good rifle. (brand name i mean)

pyromensch
03-15-2012, 10:27 PM
after i got out of boot camp, +3 months, i bought a colt ar-15. i have modified it, and have gotten a couple of different uppers for it in the last 33 yrs. the new colts, have the same parts, (not large pins), as current "like" manufacturers. you will be happy with "most" anything you get. in my day, i was limited in maufacturers, but colt, (or armalite), started it.

looking at a 458 socom, upper next.

russ69
03-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Get a Colt M4. It may have not been your favorite when you were in the service but it's not often you can buy a service arm that is close to what you used when you were on duty. You can say it's just like I used except for the sights and the automatic part, the kids will go wild, not in a Grand Torino way, I hope.

RONIN.
03-15-2012, 10:31 PM
http://catalog.stagarms.com/cart/images/stag_arms_20.gif
m16a4 basically you want something like this or
http://catalog.stagarms.com/cart/images/stag_arms_model1.gif
m4 basically something like this

stag arms
riflegear (http://www.riflegear.com)

still under your budget, so you can get ammo and more mags..

semper fi
ronin

m24armorer
03-15-2012, 10:40 PM
There is no such thing as a former Marine. Get the new Colt M4....

91 whiskey 209
03-15-2012, 10:45 PM
I got a spikes for a little less than $1100 OTD. Very happy with it.

S470FM
03-15-2012, 10:59 PM
+1 for Colt and also within your budget.

Mr_Monkeywrench
03-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Dude, you cant go wrong with a Stag Model 4 if you like the M16 style. Great price as well. They are on sale right now at http://www.riflegear.com/p-844-stag-arms-model-4-rifle.aspx for $900. Their uppers are some of the cheapest good quality Complete uppers you can get. Comes with bolt, bolt carrier, and sights.

Dhena81
03-16-2012, 12:38 AM
I plan on using it for the rifle range. I really miss shooting and marksmanship, in general. No safe queen here and no room clearing stuff. I'm done with that. I going to shoot as much as I can afford so the rifle must last.

budget not to exceed $1200 when build is complete.

Just a plain jane carbine or a2 with iron sights, haven't decided on which yet.

The colt 6920ca is almost exactly what your seeking I'd get that.

McTerry
03-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Colt, Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, Spike's Tactical... All make good rifles for about and around $1000 (Give or take depending on additions).

I've heard good things about Palmetto State Armory as well, but I have never seen one in person...

problemchild
03-16-2012, 3:01 AM
Adding to the pile...........

A BCM or Larue stealth upper and a Mega ambi billet lower with JP LPK and G trigger. Get a magpul UBR for the butt end and you are GTG.

hyperion.excal
03-16-2012, 3:06 AM
Windham Weaponry is becoming one of my fav. (They are made by the same people who made Bushmaster)

Can be had for around 800 +/- , great quality fit and finish.

Goodluck

dascoyne
03-16-2012, 6:03 AM
@$1495 I'd rock a LaRue PreditAR

http://www.laruetactical.com/sites/default/files/predatar556profile.jpg

For good prices on DD stuff try Tommy at www.smartgunner.com. He can order up just about anything from DD but wait times can be long.

peter95
03-16-2012, 6:51 AM
for $1200 you can build your own and have plenty of cash left for some mags and ammo.

I would go that route instead of picking one up already made.

Im sure you know how to work yourself around one so it'll be a piece of cake piecing it together.

Capybara
03-16-2012, 7:45 AM
I'll cast my vote here as well as hyperion, I too have the Windham SRC dressed up with the Nikon .223 2x8 and it is a very well built gun that shoots great. It also supports American workers in Maine who were screwed over by the Freedom Group when they bought Bushmaster and moved the factory. This was a large factor in why I bought it, I wanted to support these workers, they make a great weapon.

That's another thing, does your budget include some sort of optic or are you just wanting to run fixed sights? I bought my rifle for $799.00 and the scope and mount together were about $350.00.

Windham Weaponry is becoming one of my fav. (They are made by the same people who made Bushmaster)

Can be had for around 800 +/- , great quality fit and finish.

Goodluck

peter95
03-16-2012, 7:50 AM
I'll cast my vote here as well as hyperion, I too have the Windham SRC dressed up with the Nikon .223 2x8 and it is a very well built gun that shoots great. It also supports American workers in Maine who were screwed over by the Freedom Group when they bought Bushmaster and moved the factory. This was a large factor in why I bought it, I wanted to support these workers, they make a great weapon.

That's another thing, does your budget include some sort of optic or are you just wanting to run fixed sights? I bought my rifle for $799.00 and the scope and mount together were about $350.00.

He posted he only wanted iron sights, so he could def be able to pick up a nice build for his budget and have extra to play with in the end.

Dave07997S
03-16-2012, 8:04 AM
As a former Army grunt I vote for a Colt as well. I know how you feel as I went through the same thing. Yes there are a lot of good weapons out there but having the same Colt that I pretty much carried in the Army meant a lot.

I have a preban Colt AR15A2 (RAW) along now with my new Colt 6920CA. To be honest I found the longer A2 more comfortable to shoot than the Carbine, maybe just got to get used to it.

Dave

newglockster
03-16-2012, 8:51 AM
Just adding to the options here...

Here is a complete upper from Palmetto State Armory that uses a hammer-forged barrel made by FN: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-16-hammer-forged-midlength-upperpper.html

Workmantm
03-16-2012, 9:55 AM
I'm still stuck between choosing a carbine or a standard full-size. i've only handled a carbine a couple of times, never fired. the k9 marine in my platoon had one so naturally i had to check it out for comparison. i liked that it was smaller and lighter, but i only have experience with the full size.

needless to say, i've got some decisions to make.

i want to thank everyone for their inputs and suggestions. i really appreciate it.

Why not try to meet up with people from here at a range and see if you can try out what they own. Use a practical test approach to deciding what feels best for what you want?

cwin
03-16-2012, 10:27 AM
+1 for either Colt, S&W MP15, Daniel Defense.

stag6.8
03-16-2012, 3:26 PM
Dude, you cant go wrong with a Stag Model 4 if you like the M16 style. Great price as well. They are on sale right now at http://www.riflegear.com/p-844-stag-arms-model-4-rifle.aspx for $900. Their uppers are some of the cheapest good quality Complete uppers you can get. Comes with bolt, bolt carrier, and sights.

thats a really good deal...but...there out of stock...do you want your rifle full featured or featureless?...that will affect your total budget...I would suggest a stag rifle with the plus package

StratORcaster
03-16-2012, 3:35 PM
I have a couple of stags and love em'.

smog7
03-16-2012, 6:50 PM
check out palmetto state armory, they have some pretty good deals.

might want to build your own instead of buying a complete rifle.

fcr
03-16-2012, 8:23 PM
oops, please delete dble post

fcr
03-16-2012, 8:23 PM
Go to Addax, he makes nice rifles and is in L.A. . RifleGear also, they will get you into something good too. Your budget can get you something really nice.

Capybara
03-16-2012, 9:14 PM
That's what I get for skimming!

He posted he only wanted iron sights, so he could def be able to pick up a nice build for his budget and have extra to play with in the end.

JeremyKX
03-17-2012, 12:47 AM
Love my stag.

TRod1222
03-17-2012, 1:40 AM
Built my spike 16" mid for under 900. Marks armory man. Solid platform. Never one failure!

mugiwara
03-17-2012, 2:19 AM
go rent a few, any decent range should have rifle and carbine configurations. then youll know.

navycorpsman
03-17-2012, 7:14 AM
Honestly if your looking for an everyday shooter and range gun and want to have a smart buy I would go with the M&P15 Sport. Got everything you need for under 700 bucks. I own one for my everyday plinker and honestly dont have 1 complaint and i have around 4000 through it. You will get people with criticism over it but hey I carried Colt's in the service and I will say it does the same damn job and costs half as much. Sport does not have Forward assist( if needed then clean your gun haha) and no dust cover along with other little changes but all around a great rifle for what u are going to use it for.

Steelheader
03-17-2012, 8:47 AM
PSA M4A1 Patrol Rifle with an Aimpoint PRO for $1200.00

PSA M4A1 PR (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/rifles/psa-16-hammer-forged-m4a1-patrol-rifle-package.html)

artoaster
04-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Get a Colt. Either the LE6920CA in 16" M4 style or the CR6720CA as a 20" rifle and add your carry handle and a front iron sight and your GTG.

RuggedJay
04-27-2012, 1:37 PM
Came out good. Nice and clean without too much crap on it. Im partial to the old style Colt M4 CAR stock like the one you got. They're simple and they work.

6doubleR
04-27-2012, 1:45 PM
Great job on the build

The Right to Bear Arms
04-27-2012, 3:54 PM
i''ve thought about getting an ar-15 type rifle/carbine for a while now and i think i'm going to burn a hole in my wallet before this is over.

in boot i was issued an brand new m16a2 made by fn. in the fleet we had m16's by colt, and when we deployed we got brand new m16a4's again by colt if i remember correctly. i never had a bad weapon and all were rock-solid. i didn't like the a4 too much because it was heavy with the rails and acog.

to be honest, i don't no much at all about what's out there in the civilian market. in the gun sales forum i read brand names i never heard of. i only know what i was issued.

there are too many to choose from.

i would like to piece together one over time; just a lower here and an upper there, etc.

So what are some really good brands...top quality?

SO HERE IT IS...

- BCM 14.5" upper with perm. A2X FH
- JD Machine Tech lower w/ USMC EGA logo
- CAR stock/handguards
- a beat up carry handle I found for $40
- BCM Mod 5 charging handle
- KNS pins
- Raddlock
- Riflegear LPK
- Stag buffer tube assembly

Also, I have a Knight's Armament Rail I got on impulse, but haven't decided whether to install it or not.

Big thanks to everyone for their input.

Hello, Marine.

I'm in much the same boat as you, pardon the pun. As a Gunner's Mate on the Battleship Missouri for Desert Storm, I had no idea of the pending business boom in the civilian sector based on weapons platforms that we dealt with on a day to day basis with little to no regard for variation.

I know you're putting your own AR-15 together and I applaud that. If at some point in the future, you decide to purchase one, I've heard the Windham Weaponry SRC is a pretty good deal at $850. There's a story that goes along regarding Bushmaster but it's the Rifle I care about and at that price point, something I would consider. For myself, I've got 3 projects going on right now with Mother Russia. haha. Yes, the venerable Mosin Nagant, the Saiga 7.62x39 16" barrel, and the Russian SKS. Otherwise, I'd take the deal I mentioned above.

At any rate, I hope your build goes / went well.

Bravo Zulu !

R.B.A.

Heretodaygonetomorrow
04-27-2012, 5:37 PM
PSA (palmetto state armory) makes great quality firearms, and you get lots of choices on barrels and furniture.

I'd recommend getting a JD Machine Lower (made in San Diego), JD Machine charging handle lever, and bullet button, from Riflegear or directly from JD (drive down to their shop and buy). Go to the PSA Website and order the PSA rifle or carbine kit (less lower) with the barrel of your choice, and then choose between standard furniture (or Magpul or Ergo, for not much more money).

A basic rifle or carbine will cost you around $700 (less if you choose one of the PSA kits or upper assemblies that's on sale). With a $1200 budget, you'd have $500 left of accessories (like a cleaning kit, magazines, and carrying case) and ammo (PSA usually has M193 and M855 for around $145 for 400 rounds in a ammo can).

The more you spend out of state, the more you get for your money, since most Internet Companies will not charge CA Sales Tax (saves you 9%-10%).

CAglock20c
04-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Nice build, and thank you for serving!

artoaster
04-28-2012, 1:23 PM
I've got $886.26 into latest build.

$159.06 Delaware Machinery lower (LGS buy w/taxes, DROS)
$70.95 PSA LPK and MOE grip
$617.10 PSA 16" upper w/ BCG, charging handle, MOE handguard, Troy Battlesight

$39.15 Raddlock BB

prices include shipping charges totaling $30.15