PDA

View Full Version : FAL BUILD QUESTIONS

Maximusmax51
03-15-2012, 7:45 PM
A friend of mine already has a DSA FAL receiver and would like to build the rest of it. Is there anyone in the San Diego county area able to help out with the build? He plans on buying the kits for it but does not have the tools or know how to throw it all together. Main assistance will be with the headspacing and major gunsmithing.

Any info will help, Thanks gents

Krill
03-15-2012, 11:06 PM
FALs are awesome. this is no substitute for actual help, but hope you can review this to see if its helpful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8YFEBABKC4&feature=related

Richard Erichsen
03-16-2012, 7:36 AM
A friend of mine already has a DSA FAL receiver and would like to build the rest of it. Is there anyone in the San Diego county area able to help out with the build? He plans on buying the kits for it but does not have the tools or know how to throw it all together. Main assistance will be with the headspacing and major gunsmithing.

Any info will help, Thanks gents

If you haven't done it before, you may be better of sending it where a proper job can be done. The FALfiles has a long list of vendors that you can choose from, one of the more active/knowledgeable (if occasionally living up to curmudgeon status) is T. Mark Graham, aka the Gunplumber who owns and operates Arizona Response Systems. He can also apply his Metacol III surface treatment at added cost. Assembly and test fire is in the $250 range, while the full detailed surface treatment is somewhere in the $500 range and will be tougher than anything factory ever supplied. The gunsmith at Entreprise Arms has a decent reputation if you are local enough to drive to Irwindale, but the list of line items are, as some builders have described a bit of smoke and mirrors to help justify the $225 build price. I'm on the fence if this is the right way to go since I see few positives and a fair number of negatives with that outfit that may or may not have been influenced by build quality using other folks parts kits and receivers.

If you have a DSA receiver and a decent barrel with the block already fitted, I wouldn't expect any "heavy" gunsmithing to be necessary. The most demanding task will be timing the barrel and selecting the correct locking shoulder, or grinding one to suit. If you want a refinishing job, the costs go up due to the prep time. If you want the battleworn look, you can skip that or plan to do that yourself if you have the proper tools, talent and patience.

R

Sicarius
03-16-2012, 7:57 AM
Don't be afraid to build it yourself. I built my first one without much knowledge of the fal other than their history and design. Falfiles is your friend so sign up there. A plethora of knowledge to be had there there. I bought the gunplumber dvd aka Gram aka Arizona Respons System and watched it a couple times and layed out the parts as he was going over it. He goes over the parts and heaspacing. The tools probably ran me 200ish though you can probably get away a little cheaper. The knowledge that you gain and the feeling of accomplishment cannot be replaced. I would sway you from sending it off. This is a great build and not so lego feeling like an AR.
I suggest finding a matching numbers STG(steyr) kit. They are considered to be one of the best parts kits available and run about 6-700 bucks.
922r on these are cake. I would suggest not swapping the trigger group the the US made ones though. The quality of the originals are still much better. The easy things to swap for 922 are the stock, pistol grip, foregrip, gas piston, mag(DSA 10 round counts as 3 parts body, floorplate and follower) or even just the floorplate(1 part), muzzle device and charging handle.
My Imbel on Imbel.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e400/Sicarius_428/Bang/IMG_0262.jpg
Kevin

thedrickel
03-16-2012, 8:05 AM
You have to get a kit first. Then mate the bbl up to the receiver by hand and see where the bbl times. Mostly likely with the DSA receiver, some material will need to be removed from the bbl shoulder, either by hand, lathe, etc. Then you can actually build the thing.

Sicarius
03-16-2012, 8:36 AM
I did mine on a lathe but there are a ton of tutorials on how to do it by hand with a sanding disk. Both of my barrels needed material removed from the shoulder. I took a little too much off of one but you can buy shims to bring it back to spec.
Kevin

Maximusmax51
03-16-2012, 1:37 PM
Thanks for all the info! Sounds like its a lot cheaper and easier than either of us thought. He's thinking of sticking with the DSA Receiver and buying a DSA barrel. Then using parts kits to supplement the build. Is this a good idea? He's thinking about this since DSA parts are fairly expensive.

Sicarius
03-16-2012, 4:10 PM
Honestly, the STG barrel is probably better... They are considered more accurate and are hammer forged. They sport a chrome chamber but not chrome lined. Stick with the STG. DSA barrels aren't known for being great.
Kevin

Tuspejo
03-19-2012, 8:48 PM
i currently have been researching FAL type rilfes as well, do as search on fnfal.com for dsa barrels, in the past hour or so ive read so many bad things with them, and any original parts kit barrely is considered to be much better quality. i was very close to purchasing a DSA SA58 but then i found some info on Fafiles.com which made me change my mind on their rifles, and now leaning towards a build.

1911su16b870
03-19-2012, 9:27 PM
http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-April01-assembly.html

I've played with an STG58 and L1A1 but never built one up...my receiver and G1 kit are on their way!

novalondon
03-20-2012, 1:23 AM
you haven't said or I missed it,,,is the DSArms receiver a metric or inch? I have everything you need to build a complete rifle in either design,,except an inch barrel.

DavidR310
03-20-2012, 2:05 AM
Turners has a FAL on sale right now for $649!!!:eek:

http://www.turners.com/images/discontgun03-01.pdf

-hanko
03-20-2012, 6:39 AM
The FALfiles has a long list of vendors that you can choose from, one of the more active/knowledgeable (if occasionally living up to curmudgeon status) is T. Mark Graham...

The gunsmith at Entreprise Arms has a decent reputation if you are local enough to drive to Irwindale, but the list of line items are, as some builders have described a bit of smoke and mirrors to help justify the $225 build price. I'm on the fence if this is the right way to go since I see few positives and a fair number of negatives with that outfit that may or may not have been influenced by build quality using other folks parts kits and receivers.
I'll preface this by saying I am not the world expert in FAL's, but I have built quite a few and fixed many more.

Mark Graham builds beautiful, sweet shooting FAL's...all there is to it;). He's worth the money and wait if you don't want to diy it.

The gunsmith(s) at Entreprise has never had a good rep. You can find a ton of talented smiths/builders on the FAL Files, not one has ever used excuses for "using other folks parts kits and receivers"...that's what you do when you assemble a gun for someone.

Entreprise doesn't operate under quality from the top down, nor has it ever. Do your due diligence on the FAL Files, please.;)

-hanko