PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this barrel?

m9bayonet
03-15-2012, 8:17 PM
http://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfatitan185lwcm1x10750gasblockchrome-lined.aspx

BDH
03-15-2012, 9:37 PM
Looks good...it's also listed on Criterion's site and shows Fulton as the dealer.
I have 2 Criterion bbls on other platforms and they work great. It all depends on what you want to do with them. Bbls can be expensive...you certainly can spend a little more and get a Kreiger ($375-$400), but this one certainly will do the job. I doubt the Kriegers will be chrome lined. Have you checked the other bbl makers and builders like Stag, White Oak Armory, etc.? Here's a link from Sniper's Hide that may help as well.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1972692

Give us pics when you are done.
Bruce

Hoop
03-15-2012, 9:43 PM
Range reports I've read online have been pretty good. I think someone on this board has one and likes it.

Richard Erichsen
03-16-2012, 8:51 AM
Looks good...it's also listed on Criterion's site and shows Fulton as the dealer.
I have 2 Criterion bbls on other platforms and they work great. It all depends on what you want to do with them. Bbls can be expensive...you certainly can spend a little more and get a Kreiger ($375-$400), but this one certainly will do the job. I doubt the Kriegers will be chrome lined. Have you checked the other bbl makers and builders like Stag, White Oak Armory, etc.? Here's a link from Sniper's Hide that may help as well.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1972692

Give us pics when you are done.
Bruce

Criterion and Krieger share roof space, two brothers are involved own each of the companies which focus on somewhat different product spaces. The Krieger barrels are single cut rifling, a time consuming procedure that some target shooters swear by and have won many matches with. A typical wait time for barrels not already in stock is 18 weeks. Target rifles don't use chrome lining due to the inherent inconsistencies in the bore that are introduced that many machining and lapping steps later will not be as good as the bore was prior to plating. Target shooters have been favoring the more fancy stainless steels for some time, which is another reason chrome isn't a common sight among those who choose Krieger barrels. For a bit less money you can obtain the button rifled Criterion. Both Krieger and Criterion have very high standards for the steels they use, the certs they require and the tooling is keep within tight tolerances with Criterion's only slightly more forgiving. Criterion makes a very good barrel and for those shooting in matches that require a milspec correct rifle or just want a top notch button rifled barrel, they are easily in the top 10.

As with anything, you choose what you want based on your budget and what you plan to do with it. A target rifle built to meet a specific class usually makes for a rotten hunting rifle based on the weight and length alone. A high quality barrel without a similarly precise bolt, a tight fitting stock, a good scope on a solid base, a well developed load and a competent shooter won't do much on it's own.

R