PDA

View Full Version : Newbe question on transporting to the range in SUV

Perseverance
03-15-2012, 6:38 PM
did forums search not helpful.

Is there simple rules for transporting rifles and pistols to
the range without a locked trunk. Unloaded of course.
Small key lock safe box for pistols.
Since this is CA it can't be simple.

shooperman
03-15-2012, 6:41 PM
I've always just thrown mine in the cab of my truck in a soft padded case. Unloaded with mags in separate containers. Never been pulled over with them. But also never had any problems.

bikr4jc
03-15-2012, 7:43 PM
Welcome!! Handgun is locked case, rifles unload in cases. Think that is it.....

SouperMan
03-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Welcome aboard!

Try this sponsored link:
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Flowmini98
03-16-2012, 8:47 AM
good info thank you

paul0660
03-16-2012, 8:51 AM
If you are member of a range, you can drive there and back without locking anything up, if it is unloaded.

Unless you are in a school zone.

xoutxkastx
03-16-2012, 8:52 AM
I put a cable lock on my hand gun and locked in my range bag. The rifle is kept unloaded and locked in the rifle bag. All ammo and clips are locked in my ammo can. Gotta CYA all the time.

Perseverance
03-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Thank you all for the good advice.
I missed the link above, sooo..
However I knew that nothing with guns in CA was simple.

Looking at a map five schools surround my house and at
least two more on the way to the closet 2 ranges.

To be legal all guns unloaded and in a locked container??

SouperMan
03-16-2012, 1:36 PM
Thank you all for the good advice.
I missed the link above, sooo..
However I knew that nothing with guns in CA was simple.

Looking at a map five schools surround my house and at
least two more on the way to the closet 2 ranges.

To be legal all guns unloaded and in a locked container??

I would lock all pistols in a locked container, but as for long guns (to which I have none-yet...):

Aside from 'registered assault weapons', California requires only that long guns be unloaded when transported - no lock or case required. Federal law regarding school zones requires that long guns be in a locked container or a locking gun rack while passing through those 1000 foot zones.

edgerly779
03-16-2012, 2:21 PM
All handguns in locked case or locked trunk of a vehicle. No exceptions if you belong to a range. DOJ law. Never in center console or glove box.

h0use
03-16-2012, 3:56 PM
welcome. keep them in a locked case

Sonny188
03-16-2012, 4:06 PM
Welcome!

Perseverance
03-16-2012, 6:11 PM
so I would need a locked container large enough to
hold three rifles about 40" to be legal under Federal
law?

JAGACIDA
03-16-2012, 6:15 PM
Welcome! I believe what's considered to be an assault rifle must be in a locked container when passing through school zones.

Perseverance
03-16-2012, 6:26 PM
from soupers post above.

Quote:
Aside from 'registered assault weapons', California requires only that long guns be unloaded when transported - no lock or case required.

Federal law regarding school zones requires that long guns be in a locked container or a locking gun rack while passing through those 1000 foot zones.

No State violation but a federal rap, enforced by local LEO?
and what is a locked container?

DeanW66
03-18-2012, 5:34 PM
Welcome aboard! Looks like you kinda got an answer. Try the google search near the top right and search on transporting or transportation. This subject has really been asked many many times.

Also, Most folks here don't look in the "new here" areas for Qs to A. You will be better served finding an appropriate subforum to look/ask in. For example, general gun discussions for your transportation quest.

sfhondapilot
03-18-2012, 6:03 PM
Because of the school zone issue, best to have all weapons in a locked container ... Unless you are positive that you will not pass thru a school zone. That is not a risk I would take.

Lives_In_Fresno
03-18-2012, 10:21 PM
All handguns in locked case or locked trunk of a vehicle. No exceptions if you belong to a range. DOJ law. Never in center console or glove box.

I'll be picky and say that a CCW is an exception to this, for the handguns listed on the permit.

but you are correct as to the OP. I just hate the word "never"....lawl

fishdude
03-19-2012, 1:43 AM
How about unloaded open carry... If you don't go through a school zone you can have your unloaded pistol sitting on your passenger seat in plain view... Confusing, huh?

cpiaaq
03-19-2012, 2:08 AM
How about unloaded open carry... If you don't go through a school zone you can have your unloaded pistol sitting on your passenger seat in plain view... Confusing, huh?
Not any more. "Open Carry of unloaded handguns is no longer legal in most of California effective Jan 1, 2012" Source: californiaopencarry.org

SlickD
03-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Wow, I didnt know about the school zone law. Time to buy a lock for the rifle bag.

xXx Sir Sik xXx
03-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Welcome

Perseverance
03-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Thank you,

I need to rethink how I transport in an SUV to be legal,
state and Fed. Even though I used the search functions
before posting, the FUD and amount of information is a bit much.
It appears that a locked soft rifle case will meet the criteria
of "locked container".
I live in/near a school zone. I have one gun bag now, I will
need two or three more plus locks. If pulled over for a tail light
out I could be charged under GFSZA 1990(felony)."A conviction under the GFSZA will cause an individual to become a "prohibited person" under the Gun Control Act of 1968. This will bar them from legally owning firearms for the rest of their life."

Thinking black plastic shipping tub, or maybe build a lockable wood crate.