PDA

View Full Version : Question re The DOJ List

jrent
04-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Have been considering a RRA Pro Carry, however went to the DOJ site and there are no Rock River Arms or RRA guns listed. As these are primarily custom pistols and special order items would they qualify under the DOJ requirement "Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement."

kalibear
04-12-2007, 10:45 AM
If its not on the list, only way you can buy one is through a private party (person to person) sale from someone locally who already owns one

Kruzr
04-12-2007, 2:23 PM
You can't get a new RR pistol in California unless you are exempt from the approved list.

MrTuffPaws
04-12-2007, 2:46 PM
Hold on. I thought that if you did a face to face transfer with someone out of state you could not comply with the list. Person out of sells the gun to you, ships it to your FFL, then you are done with it. Am I wrong on this?

sintax
04-12-2007, 3:17 PM
Hold on. I thought that if you did a face to face transfer with someone out of state you could not comply with the list. Person out of sells the gun to you, ships it to your FFL, then you are done with it. Am I wrong on this?

Very wrong, Face to face IN the state you are ok (both people residents of CA)

guimus
04-12-2007, 3:28 PM

How does sending a gun in from another state equal "face to face" exactly?

CalNRA
04-12-2007, 3:31 PM
How does sending a gun in from another state equal "face to face" exactly?

I think he means if the out of state seller is in CA for the transfer.

still illegal.

bwiese
04-12-2007, 3:33 PM

I think you mean a "private party transfer" (PPT). You cannot do a PPT transfer with an out-of-state person; he must have CA ID for you to buy his gun.

In CA PPT transfers must be between residents of CA.

Secondly, if you did this out of CA, you'd be illegally acquiring the firearm(s), as all firearm sales to Californians must run thru a CA FFL dealer. For all practical purposes, you can't buy a firearm outside California.

If you found a pistol you liked on GunBroker from an out of state party, it would have to be on the CA approved list (unless an exempt single-action revolver or single-shot pistol that's dimensionally compliant). You cannot order an off-Roster pistol from out of state; the CA FFL cannot sell it to you.

MrTuffPaws
04-12-2007, 6:11 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. Don't know where I got a PPT to a person out of state was legal.

tenpercentfirearms
04-12-2007, 6:13 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. Don't know where I got a PPT to a person out of state was legal.

There is no PPT out of state. PPT is in state only. Anything out of state is simply a "transfer".

wdoyle1980
04-22-2007, 1:40 AM
I asked this question in a similar thread:

I just moved to CA from FL. My self-assembled/built 1911 is being held in storage in FL to see if i can bring/get it to CA. This 1911 was built on a 'generic' frame (one of the SMI frames from SARCO) and completed with misc 1911 parts, barrels, etc (standard 7rd mags). I now have a CA DL and my car is registered to me here (aka - i am now a 'resident' of CA). Can I PPT this pistol to MYSELF from my ownership out of state?? Essentially, I want to have one of my parents bring this pistol to my FFL in FL (he knows me personally and this pistol was originally transfered to him from SARCO when I purchased it originally) and have him ship it to an FLL here in CA. Is this legal?

Wulf
04-22-2007, 4:47 AM
Does anybody know what happens at BOF if you just fill out the voluntary registration form for a non listed gun and check "other: gift" or something similar?

tenpercentfirearms
04-22-2007, 7:06 AM
I asked this question in a similar thread:

I just moved to CA from FL. My self-assembled/built 1911 is being held in storage in FL to see if i can bring/get it to CA. This 1911 was built on a 'generic' frame (one of the SMI frames from SARCO) and completed with misc 1911 parts, barrels, etc (standard 7rd mags). I now have a CA DL and my car is registered to me here (aka - i am now a 'resident' of CA). Can I PPT this pistol to MYSELF from my ownership out of state?? Essentially, I want to have one of my parents bring this pistol to my FFL in FL (he knows me personally and this pistol was originally transfered to him from SARCO when I purchased it originally) and have him ship it to an FLL here in CA. Is this legal?

You should have just brought it with you and then filled out the self-registration form when you got here. You cannot do a PPT on a firearm from out of state and I do not know if you can PPT a firearm to yourself (I guess you could, but that would be pointless).

According to the DOJ you have 60 days to get that handgun registered. I hope you didn't move in more than two months ago, because if you did, you are now screwed. The good news is the form asks for you CA ID number so you have 60 days from your issuance date of your CA ID. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#24

Someone else will have to answer whether the handgun can be sent in or not by mail. Don't quote me on this, but I believe you have to package the firearm up, you have to ship it, and you have to receive it.

In hindsight, you should have just brought it with you.