PDA

View Full Version : Depart from the AR Platform

mod1217
03-15-2012, 7:08 AM
Since I got AR's in 5.56 and 308 platform already I decided its time to look at other anti-zombie platform and seriously thinking of either a FS2000 or a PS90.

But before getting any further on this as I always do, I would like the GURU's :oji: of calguns who always guided me on my decision for help.

Between these 2 (FS2000 & PS90) which one do you prefer and why?

Thank you in advance for your help

SDgarrick
03-15-2012, 8:22 AM
Since they are such unusual and arguably unique rifles, you would be best served finding a few examples locally and getting your mitts on them. Shoulder them, run the bolt, see if you like mag placement of the bullpup fs2000 or the weird position your left hand is in for the ps90. I'm sure plenty of people here own and love both, but for your needs you should check out the ergos of each. cheers.

bender152
03-15-2012, 8:27 AM
While I do not own either, I have looked into both of them.

One of the first things I considered was the ammo. The FS2000 shoots 5.56 and uses STANAG mags, so if you've already got an AR, the ammo and mags are interchangable.

On the other hand, the PS90 shoots a 5.7 round and uses proprietary mags. 5.7 ammo runs about $0.40 per round.

mod1217
03-15-2012, 8:28 AM
Thats the problem with these rifles it is so unique I havent seen one on the range only on display. I have handling both rifle at Riflegear and its a tie just like the FS2000 looks just a tad bit. I was hoping to get first hand account on actual owners to see the ups and down of each rifle.

03-15-2012, 8:33 AM
FS2000

5.7x28 = :yawn:

Bartin
03-15-2012, 8:38 AM
FS2000, mag and ammo commonality with current rifles. And they are quite fun, even in california.

G60
03-15-2012, 9:13 AM
Yuck. If you're going to divest yourself of the platform, get a SCAR.

bender152
03-15-2012, 9:28 AM
While I like the SCAR, it's just a variation of the AR platform, something the OP wants to get away from.

pyro3k2
03-15-2012, 9:37 AM
unless you can SBR the PS90 there is no real point in having it in CA

G-Solutions
03-15-2012, 9:53 AM
The first question you need to answer for yourself is what the rifle is for? Fighting tool or plinker?

If you want something to work as a bug-out/SHTF/(home) defense rifle ask yourself if the .223 is sufficient or if you need something along the lines of 7.62x39, 6.8 or 7.62x51 to get the job done. 5.7 is a niche caliber and I'd advise against in for a combat carbine. Bullpub rifles can have one big disadvantage when it comes to ambidextrous operation. I'm not familiar enough with the FS2000 to know if it ejects to the side or forward. Side-eject sucks if you shoot from the left shoulder.
The advantage of that platform is the compact size - which would work well for a bug-out rifle.

That said, my personal preference is 7.62x39 in a stock Saiga. I have hardly used my AR-15 since I got the AK-based platform, since the AR is not as rugged and requires more maintenance.

Now - if the new addition to the armory is just for fun... disregard all of the above and pick what will provide the biggest fun factor :cool:

Scott Connors
03-15-2012, 10:04 AM
While I like the SCAR, it's just a variation of the AR platform, something the OP wants to get away from.

Calling the SCAR a variation of the AR is like calling a Porsch a variation of the VW Beetle. They're both magazine-fed, air-cooled, gas-operated with a rotating multi-lug bolt rifles that use STANAG magazines; otherwise the SCAR eliminates the main objection to the AR (direct-impingement guns have excessive heat and carbon leading to premature failure of components) while keeping its virtues (ergonomic controls) and adding some new goodies (interchangeable barrels). A SCAR 17S is at the top of my wish list.

Once Steyr reintroduces a 922(r) compliant AUG, that would be another option.

Don't mean to threadjack, but... Strange that all of the rifles discussed here save the AUG are FNH products. Innovation in small arms design is definitely hampered here in the US, but it's arguably worse in the EU, where FNH originates, and yet they are coming up with some really interesting designs.

Bartin
03-15-2012, 10:16 AM
6 posts before off topic, not too bad. OP said specifically FS2000 vs PS90 and why

Boltz
03-15-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm not a fan of the FS2000 because the thing looks so dang chunky. And I would love to own a PS90, but not in CA. Being able to use only 10 round mags and having a 16" barrel on it really negates its advantages.

If I were to get a bullpup, the Kel Tec RFB is at the top of my list. A lot better looking than the FS2000, and an 18" 308 barrel in a 30" package? There's no comparison for me :)

Caseless
03-15-2012, 10:57 AM
FS2000.
Tiny calibers like 5.7x28mm is so boring without the burst function. I use the same logic when choosing between 7.62 and 5.56 platforms.

pyro3k2
03-15-2012, 11:07 AM
6 posts before off topic, not too bad. OP said specifically FS2000 vs PS90 and why

yeah thats not to bad actually, but not to fan the flames can we all at least agree the SCAR fanboys have been really obnoxious lately?

back on topic FS2000 has my vote.

dascoyne
03-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I love the FS2000. On top of everything you still get to use your 30rd AR mags... at least the metal ones. PMags don't seat in the plastic magwell.
BTW. If you're used to ARs keep in mind that with the FS2000 mags don't drop free and reloading is, therefore, going to be slower and the bolt doesn't lock open with the last round. Otherwise it's a cool, if not overpriced rifle. Still my favorite bullpup.

mod1217
03-15-2012, 2:11 PM
Thank you guys. This is what I love about Calguns, you guys not only tell me what the good and the bad about the rifles I mention here you also suggested some good one.

I was thinking of both SCAR and Kel-Tec RFB the only thing that deviate me from these 2 rifle is both shoot 308 (or 761X51)a caliber I love, but in a bench rifle style not in something you run around with, and I don't know about the Kel-Tec but the SCAR is a little to expensive for me, I'am in no means rich to have such expensive toys.

So the way I see it here I think the FS2000 is the one for me, thank you for pointing out about the ammo and the mags that is a big help in making my decision. Anyway you guys still have 12 hours before I march into Riflegear and start my 10 day wait so any more feedback is greatly appreciated

G60
03-15-2012, 2:13 PM
Oh, I missed "anti-zombie platform," I thought the guy was actually going to use the thing.

Sorry for recommending a superior weapon in all aspects, such details are not important to the zombie crowd.

Bartin
03-15-2012, 2:17 PM
Oh, I missed "anti-zombie platform," I thought the guy was actually going to use the thing.

Sorry for recommending a superior weapon in all aspects, such details are not important to the zombie crowd.

blah blah blah blah blah
the second someone says superior in all aspects you know it's a fanboy

mod1217
03-15-2012, 3:06 PM

G60 I did look at the SCAR even before I started looking at the FS2000 & PS90 and I do agree with you that its a superb firearm but it did miss out on 3 points that I concider for my selection.

The Caliber is to large and expensive for my use of it

Its looks almost the same as the AR platform so no "What the hell is that :eek:" factor

And the Price is way beyond my budget :(

So thank you but it just have to wait for now.

MrPlink
03-15-2012, 3:28 PM
The Scar comes in both 556 and 308. Frankly, even the 308 is going to be easier to feed than a 5.7

If you want wow factor to impress noobs and non shooters, go with a bulpup. If you want to impress those in the know, go with a scar :43:

dascoyne
03-15-2012, 4:41 PM
Let's be fair. FS2000 impresses anybody - shooters and non-shooters alike. Everyone wants to handle it and shoot off a few rounds. The SCAR is a terrific weapon, for sure, but the FS2000 is hardly a "noob" gun.

mod1217
03-15-2012, 8:48 PM
If you want wow factor to impress noobs and non shooters, go with a bulpup. If you want to impress those in the know, go with a scar :43:

Im begining to feel some hate here with SCAR owners :).

As I said SCAR is a teriffic weapon, if I have the extra $800 of disposable money then why not. And being the proud owner of 4 AR including lr308 and AR-10, a Bushmaster ACR, a SIG556, and 3 AK's, Im really looking for something a little bit different.

mod1217
03-16-2012, 1:52 PM
Got it! Just DROSS it this morning :).

Again I want to thank you all guys for you help now I just need to wait ten more days in order to enjoy my new toy AGGHHH!

Oh well Hi-Hoo Hi-Hoo Accesories hunting I go

Bartin
03-16-2012, 2:04 PM
Got it! Just DROSS it this morning :).

Again I want to thank you all guys for you help now I just need to wait ten more days in order to enjoy my new toy AGGHHH!

Oh well Hi-Hoo Hi-Hoo Accesories hunting I go

Awesome! You'll enjoy it. Get some more 10/30 STANAG mags (only ones that fit without some modding, probably should have mentioned that) a nice sling and a good CQB optic and you are good to go!

SFgiants105
03-16-2012, 2:11 PM
The FS2000 has easily find-able ammo and mags. IMO, the P90 platform is useless if not full auto. Get the FS2000 and a Five-Seven pistol

MrExel17
03-17-2012, 4:53 PM
I know it was not one of th choices but have you considered a AK47. Was I the exact same situation and went with an AK, and now I'm hooked. Rounds are cheap, reliable, and parts are readily available. Both you choices are good but have to agree with above. Good luck and keep us posted on your pick!

Fherot
03-17-2012, 5:19 PM
I fondled a PS90 at the Costa Mesa show and it was the biggest cockfart of a gun mutation I'd ever laid hands on like someone took a Ferrari and with a pair of spoons and a thick forehead turned it into a convertible with tin foil seats so they could legally sell it to the right market.

PS90 = Only in a free state! The magazine was terribly awkward to remove and had to virtually disassemble part of the gun. The biggest virtue of this firearm is the 50 rounds so dropping it to 10 in a confounded magazine you need luck to remove is awful. Plus the ammo is made of unicorn horns so goodluck stockpiling...

F2000 looks like a spaceship... Not my thing but if it were the two of them and in California... I'd say go for that.

!@#$
03-17-2012, 5:31 PM
If you want wow factor to impress noobs and non shooters, go with a bulpup. If you want to impress those in the know, go with a scar practice with your ar and learn to shoot.that would work too

dascoyne
03-17-2012, 5:53 PM
I fondled a PS90 at the Costa Mesa show and it was the biggest cockfart of a gun mutation I'd ever laid hands on like someone took a Ferrari and with a pair of spoons and a thick forehead turned it into a convertible with tin foil seats so they could legally sell it to the right market.

PS90 = Only in a free state! The magazine was terribly awkward to remove and had to virtually disassemble part of the gun. The biggest virtue of this firearm is the 50 rounds so dropping it to 10 in a confounded magazine you need luck to remove is awful. Plus the ammo is made of unicorn horns so goodluck stockpiling...

F2000 looks like a spaceship... Not my thing but if it were the two of them and in California... I'd say go for that.I agree. I remember seeing photos of the p90 in the 80's before actual production. It looked so cool I vowed to own one. I never got one because everything that I like about it has been bastardized. The compactness and appearance is wrecked by the barrel and buttstock. The big mag capacity isn't relevant anymore. The efficacy of the caliber is gone because of lack of selective fire.

mod1217
03-17-2012, 6:03 PM
The FS2000 has easily find-able ammo and mags. IMO, the P90 platform is useless if not full auto. Get the FS2000 and a Five-Seven pistol

Do you really think I would go with FS2000 without having the Five Seven already :). That is what got me started with FN in the first place.

Spectacular Pistol IMHO

mod1217
03-17-2012, 6:05 PM
Awesome! You'll enjoy it. Get some more 10/30 STANAG mags (only ones that fit without some modding, probably should have mentioned that) a nice sling and a good CQB optic and you are good to go!

Any recomendation on a good CQB optics that would not kill my already limping bank acount :)

BHPFan
03-17-2012, 6:21 PM
From the choices only:

FS2000.

You can still use the same ammo and the GI mags (no PMags) for the AR15.

dascoyne
03-17-2012, 8:31 PM
Any recomendation on a good CQB optics that would not kill my already limping bank acount :)No. Don't go cheap when it comes to optics. If you can't afford a good Eotech, Aimpoint etc. then shoot with irons for a while until you can afford quality optics.

SureShot241
03-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Both are unique platforms, and will both have the "cool" factor. My decision is based on ammunition. 5.7 is harder to come by and more pricey then 5.56. I vote 5.56

rexblaine
03-18-2012, 1:01 AM
Agree with dascoyne.... get yourself a Noveske N4 and a nice Trijicon Acog, maybe a light mounting, functional sling, and a few crates of ammo.

rexblaine
03-18-2012, 1:05 AM
Any recomendation on a good CQB optics that would not kill my already limping bank acount :)

http://www.riflegear.com/images/product/large/1072_1_.jpg
http://www.riflegear.com/p-1072-trijicon-42mm-reflex-amber-45-moa.aspx

This guy is magic, not too heavy, not janky, holds zero, uses no batteries, and lasts forever.

Bartin
03-18-2012, 6:08 AM
Primary Arms (https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_s/586.htm) makes some inexpensive quality red dot sights. They are highly rated, do a search on here and on the web and you'll see.
They aren't going to be on the same level as the big names but they are far above the junk and also won't clean out the rest of your wallet.
If you want to go up a step, an EoTech 512 will be under $400.
A low power scope can be good too. I really like the 1.6x that comes on the standard version, very fast acquisition with some zoom.
Shooting irons isn't going to be very enjoyable on this rifle for long

Hachi6
03-18-2012, 6:33 AM
I own both rifles and they are both fun. I'd still go with the fs2000 though. Both have funky bullet buttons in California but the fs2000 is easier to work with. You just have to push a button on the side and you can pull the mag out. It won't drop because there is a gasket for the magazine in the mag well. You can remove the gasket then it will drop freely. The ps90 bullet button, you have to pry the mag release then left up the magazine at the same time. I don't know any other way to take it out, so any suggestions would be great.
Other than that, the fs feels more comfortable to me cause it's bigger, the recoil is almost non existent and I can use my AR mags. The ps90 feels a little small but still comfortable, and it recoils like a .22.
Now if the zombie thing does really happen you can put together 50 rounds magazines for the ps90 and the original mag release. 50 rounds of 5.7 is not that heavy at all and that's a lot of pellets before you have to reload. :43:
Either one will be a nice addition to your collection, but I'd vote fs2000.

mod1217
03-18-2012, 4:27 PM
No. Don't go cheap when it comes to optics. If you can't afford a good Eotech, Aimpoint etc. then shoot with irons for a while until you can afford quality optics.

Totally agree with you :)

I dont really like ACOG since for some reason I dont like the style of the ACOG and for ACOG fanboys yeah there is something wrong with me :43:

At first I was looking at Vortex Viper but a friend told me that it looks dumb on the weapon since the weapon is design really for CQB and the Viper is more for a 3 gun competion and tactical long range shooting

So I'll probably will go with either Aimpoint or Eotech just havent decided on either one but strongly feeling Eotech to be my cup of tea
(I just hope this dont turn out to be Eotech vs Aimpoint tread)

Primary Arms (https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_s/586.htm) makes some inexpensive quality red dot sights. They are highly rated, do a search on here and on the web and you'll see.

I love Primary Arms Magnifiers but never really have any experience with there scopes beside there 1-4X20 scope, and that scope rocks except that I'm not really going for that kind of scope for the FS2000.

Do you have personal experience with it?

m98
03-18-2012, 7:06 PM
Becuz we live in kommifornia=Fs2k.

In a free state, ps90 bcus 10rds of 5.7 is kinda useless. 5.7 advantage is high cap multiple rounds on target fast due to an almost non existant recoil.

556 is cheaper easy to find with many various loadings. 5.7 is the opposite especially with only just a few loadings available to us lowly peasants.

mod1217
03-19-2012, 3:39 PM
Yeah, that is what made me choose FS2k also 5.7 is like what $22.00 per 50rds and 5.56 is like 6.99 per 20 rds and beside I got a lot of 5.56 rds stock up because of my Ar's so no need to really buy some more