PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun mounted on AR15 CA legal?

mcubed4130
04-11-2007, 6:48 PM
http://www.defensereview.com/1_31_2004/rem870mcs_ax.jpg
http://www.defensereview.com/article686.html

Is this shotgun mounted on the underside of a AR15 legal in CA? even if it were a 10rnder with a bullet button? and even if the shotgun barrel were 18" ?

:D

-M3

grammaton76
04-11-2007, 6:50 PM
Think the shotgun component might also have to make minimum length (26"?) as well, in case it's viewed as a seperate weapon.

You could rely on the argument that the AR is the shotgun's stock, and its length should be included in the shotgun's length, but that's pretty flimsy reasoning if it's readily removable.

G17GUY
04-11-2007, 6:53 PM
Someone got a little to happy with photoshop.

The barrrel has to be 16" in CA.

Pulsar
04-11-2007, 6:54 PM
Well if that were the case then removing the original stock on your shotgun would be committing a crime.

If you went with the 18 inch barrel, I think it would be legal.

grammaton76
04-11-2007, 6:58 PM
Well if that were the case then removing the original stock on your shotgun would be committing a crime.

True... what I'm getting at though, is that I think if it's on some kind of "quick detach" mount, no tools required, that it would probably be considered an AOW.

Technical Ted
04-11-2007, 7:00 PM
Someone got a little to happy with photoshop.

The barrrel has to be 16" in CA.
No, they exist. They're used as entry weapons, usually to blow out locks--thus the name Master Key.

18" is the Federal minimum shotgun barrel length for a non-NFA shotgun.

G17GUY
04-11-2007, 7:03 PM
http://www.break.com/index/painful_nut_shot.html

I found the guy that thought of this idea. He made a video about his current idea.

jumbopanda
04-11-2007, 9:36 PM
http://www.break.com/index/painful_nut_shot.html

I found the guy that thought of this idea. He made a video about his current idea.

Hopefully that did enough damage to prevent him from reproducing...

M. Sage
04-11-2007, 9:54 PM
I don't understand why you seem to think something like Masterkey is dumb. Rifles aren't as good for breaching, and this thing saves a lot of time. Plus, there's no reason to carry a whole shotgun for opening doors, when you think about it.

Pulsar
04-12-2007, 7:04 PM
True... what I'm getting at though, is that I think if it's on some kind of "quick detach" mount, no tools required, that it would probably be considered an AOW.

I don't think so, but the key word there is think. I can't think of any law written saying that a toolless detachable stock is illegal. Heck I've played with some SKS's that I can remove the stock without tools. The little detent holding in the trigger group is usually broken though.

mcubed4130
06-05-2007, 9:52 PM

http://www.peosoldier.army.mil/images/sw/XM26_2_highRes.jpg
"Photo Courtesy of PEO Soldier" http://www.peosoldier.army.mil/pmweapons/iwmultimedia.asp

I'm thinking this would pass - as requiring tools to mount. Looks like hex bolts.

Now I guess the question would be... can you even buy a XM26 shotgun for your AR15 as a civilian...

-M3

LAK Supply
06-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Awww man..... I thought this thread died?! :kest: :p

chiefcrash
06-05-2007, 10:36 PM
for the folks talking about tools required to remove the stock:

keep in mind, you do not need a tool to remove the stock from an M1 Garand. And those are obviously legal.

in theory, you could fire an M1 garand without the but stock. it'd be awkward and probably dangerous, but it can be done

cartman
06-06-2007, 10:28 AM
You could call it a bad *** over under?:p

ldivinag
06-06-2007, 11:28 AM
what everyone needs:

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/870mcs.htm

;)

1064chubbs
06-06-2007, 1:38 PM
Wouldnt it basically be sort of like mounting a pistol grip shotgun without the pistol grip

slick_711
06-06-2007, 1:40 PM
Wouldnt it basically be sort of like mounting a pistol grip shotgun without the pistol grip

Huh? The shotgun wouldn't be considered a pistol grip on the rifle if that's what you mean. At least it shouldn't by any competent person (maybe an issue @ DOJ :p), it provides no pistol style grasp.

chiefcrash
06-06-2007, 1:41 PM
Huh? The shotgun wouldn't be considered a pistol grip on the rifle if that's what you mean. At least it shouldn't by any competent person (maybe an issue @ DOJ :p), it provides no pistol style grasp.

he's saying the AR-15 would become the shotgun's stock

slick_711
06-06-2007, 1:45 PM
he's saying the AR-15 would become the shotgun's stock

Ahh, misunderstanding on my part, my apologies.

I have no use for the Masterkey system or any similar system, but I'd love to have one nonetheless... just looks bad*** and fun for occasional range playtime. I think the major issue for us would be the barrel length, I don't know of any other legal issue that would cause a problem for such a setup (although I could have missed something).

AJAX22
06-06-2007, 1:48 PM
it might be kinda fun to make a rail adapter for one of my 26inch pistol grip double barrels that lets it attach to the side of an AR.. utterly useless, but kinda the same idea, it might be fun ;)

slick_711
06-06-2007, 1:50 PM
it might be kinda fun to make a rail adapter for one of my 26inch pistol grip double barrels that lets it attach to the side of an AR.. utterly useless, but kinda the same idea, it might be fun ;)

Make two and sell me the other! :chris:

I think the pump gun is the best way to go for something like that because the 6 O'clock rail is the easiest/most comfortable placement, as you said a double would have to be on the side to reload. It'd be sweeeeeet though.

mcubed4130
06-06-2007, 2:31 PM
:D of course this is for fun... if any of us really needed to breach a door... just break the window, and enter... it's not like any of need to enter secured bunkers or anything...

Now... My Mossberg 500 is tapped to mount a rail on top... hmm... wonder how hard it would be to create something to "hold" the Mossberg by the tapped mounts instead... might be too much recoil applied to bolts only intended to hold a scope mount though... hmm... :shifty:

-M3

AJAX22
06-06-2007, 6:24 PM
Make two and sell me the other! :chris:

I think the pump gun is the best way to go for something like that because the 6 O'clock rail is the easiest/most comfortable placement, as you said a double would have to be on the side to reload. It'd be sweeeeeet though.

t'd be real easy, all you have to do is drill and tap the center rib on the shotgun barrels and attach some weaver clamps with a staked bolt. then stick it on your free float upper, it'd probably only work on the super tactical ones, and you'd have a second pistol grip stickin off the side with twin triggers...

but it'd work... (unless its not on tight enough in which case you'll get a dandy shotgun in the face/chest... or huevos depending on where you are holding it)

You could mount it to the top of a flattop receiver easily if you don't care about sights...

hrmmm..... methinks I need to considder which double to bubba further.....