PDA

View Full Version : HELP - PLEASE

icenix
03-13-2012, 9:09 PM
In this ammo: PMC Bronze .223A Remington 55grain FMJ BT

What does the BT stand for?

Also, has anyone used PRVI Partizan ammo? How did it do? Made of steel?

Maybe a dumb question, but can you shoot match ammo out of any barrel or only match barrels? I really don't have any experience with anything match.

Am I correct that anything with a tracer or green colored tip can't be bought and shot in CA?

Any quick help would be appreciated. Thanks

Prc329
03-13-2012, 9:14 PM
I think it means boat tail.

icenix
03-13-2012, 9:21 PM
I think it means boat tail.

You will have to forgive me, I am far from an expert when it comes to ammo types. Does the BT really matter to me shooting at the range, or like is there another version or type I should be getting instead? Or is the BT just the fine print that doesn't need to matter to me?

.45JHP
03-13-2012, 9:21 PM
Wow...where to begin here. BT stands for boat tail. There are quite a few benefits to this design, but generally the boat tail design of the bullet helps with ballistics and accuracy at longer ranges. I'm not a subject matter expert on these, but you can find lots of info about them online- or if someone else cares to chime in on this.

Partizan ammo is a really good alternative to M855 and M193. It's also milspec.

Tracers and incendiary are illegal in CA, green tips are ok. Keep in mind that there is a federal ban on military surplus ammo, so most of the green tip penetrator ammo you see on the market is typically overruns. XM855 green tip ammo can be bought by pretty much anyone, its basically M855 military ammo that did not pass military testing for one reason or another- perfectly safe to use. In fact most civilian "surplus" ammo is XM855. The same goes for XM193- just military ammo repackaged for civilian usage.

Search for "ammo oracle" on google, it'll answer pretty much all of your questions in detail.

cutty01
03-13-2012, 9:22 PM
BT stands for "Boat Tail" and refers to the base of the bullet. A "Boat Tail" is a sloping end which narrows gently at the base of the bullet, so that the cross-section resembles the shape of a boat's hull. The boat tail shape reduces drag on a bullet, helping it to retain velocity and resist deflection from crosswinds, but causes the bullet to take longer to "settle" after leaving the barrel compared to a standard "flat-base" bullet. Boat tail bullets are usually selected for long-range shooting.

PRIVI Partizan ammo is a good value ammo. Its not the best, its not the worse.

Match ammo is more consistent between rounds, has tighter tolerances, and higher accuracy. Yes you can shoot them on non match barrels.

I have bought the PMC XTAC 5.56 ammo which is green tipped and had it shipped to my house in Cali.

.45JHP
03-13-2012, 9:22 PM
You will have to forgive me, I am far from an expert when it comes to ammo types. Does the BT really matter to me shooting at the range, or like is there another version or type I should be getting instead? Or is the BT just the fine print that doesn't need to matter to me?

For under 100 yard shooting, standard milspec ammo is good enough. If you plan on long range shooting, you might be able to see the benefits in using match ammo.

.45JHP
03-13-2012, 9:24 PM
Go here:
http://razoreye.net/mirror/ammo-oracle/

or

http://ammo.ar15.com/

It will answer all of your above questions, in detail.

icenix
03-13-2012, 9:36 PM
Thanks guys. Those are some great links!!

The only reason I was asking is because I have been shooting pretty much the same ammo through my AR and I am going to make my first purchase of ammo online and I thought I would try some different grains and try some 5.56 for once, since I have only shot .223 so far.

However, I was looking at ordering some ammo from Palmetto, but the 5.56 I was looking at is PRVI and it is match ammo. So, just didn't know if that was okay or not.

So that is basically what I was looking at. I was also going to order some of what I have been buying here in town, PMC Bronze .223A 55grain FMJ, but the ones they have on the site say BT after FMJ, and I just don't remember the stuff here in town saying BT at the end of it.

J.S.Riesch
03-13-2012, 10:12 PM
This. Rather very extensive technical references (ballistics vs. projectiles shapes)...:cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_ballistics

tonyxcom
03-13-2012, 10:47 PM
For under 100 yard shooting, standard milspec ammo is good enough. If you plan on long range shooting, you might be able to see the benefits in using match ammo.

Well.... that depends on the rifle and what you consider good enough. 55g shoots about 2-3moa out of my rifles while 75g match ammo shoots 1/2moa in one and under 2moa in the other.

Seven_Duce
03-13-2012, 11:07 PM
The problem with green tips (XM855) and other steel cored ammunation is some ranges won't let you shoot it at their range. So if you are going to use steel cored ammo I suggest you make sure you can use it at whatever range you visit before you buy, and later find out you can't use it there.

icenix
03-14-2012, 3:47 PM
The problem with green tips (XM855) and other steel cored ammunation is some ranges won't let you shoot it at their range. So if you are going to use steel cored ammo I suggest you make sure you can use it at whatever range you visit before you buy, and later find out you can't use it there.

Thanks. Yeah, no steel ammo at my range, as they check for it. So, green tipped ammo is out.

I think I am going to order some ammo tonight. Some 5.56 and some higher grain .223. Thanks all.

icenix
03-14-2012, 10:09 PM
What are these made from? Any steel? I can't shoot steel at my range, so I want to make sure.........

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/prvi-partizan-5-56-m193-200rd.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/federal-xm193j-5-56mm-55gr-fmj-30rds.html

NYY
03-14-2012, 10:20 PM
What are these made from? Any steel? I can't shoot steel at my range, so I want to make sure.........

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/prvi-partizan-5-56-m193-200rd.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/federal-xm193j-5-56mm-55gr-fmj-30rds.html

no steel in those. those are brass shell casings that have FMJ bullets. (copper jacket with lead in it). your range doesnt allow "steel core" bullets i presume? that would be xm855. the "m193" you see is just the name 5.56 is given.

icenix
03-14-2012, 10:26 PM
no steel in those. those are brass shell casings that have FMJ bullets. (copper jacket with lead in it). your range doesnt allow "steel core" bullets i presume? that would be xm855. the "m193" you see is just the name 5.56 is given.

Got it, thanks. Just double checking.

icenix
03-14-2012, 10:29 PM

Yeah, they check all rifle ammo with a magnet, so anything that sticks can't be shot.