PDA

View Full Version : Single Shot Exemption

Andy Taylor
03-13-2012, 8:49 PM
OK, I've looked and I can't find exactly the info I'm looking for on the SSE. I want to make sure I have the ENTIRE process correct. If I have a detail wrong, or if I am missing a step, or have an extra, unneeded step, or have steps out of order, I would like to know. For our purposes, we will assume an FFL has an off roster pistol in stock, for sale to a LEO, or SSE purposes.

1. Non-LEO customer purchases off roster pistol.
2. FFL converts pistol to SS.
3. FFL runs DROS. (This must not take place prior to conversion to SS configuration, correct?)
4. Pistol remains in SS form for duration of 10 day wait.
5. Customer takes delivery of SS pistol.
6. Customer leaves store with SS pistol.
7. Customer returns with SS pistol & FFL returns pistol to original semi-auto configuration.

SS configuration means a barrel of at least 6" and overall length of at least 10.5". and a zero round mag in the pistol, or a blocked magwell, for pistols with a magwell in the grip and no AW features. Pistols with magwell outside of the grip, or other AW features, also require a maglock, to avoid AW issues. Do I have this correct?

chillincody
03-13-2012, 8:52 PM
seems like you got it right to me :)

Paperchasin
03-13-2012, 9:17 PM
I think that #7 is debate-able. I am not an FFL, so I don't know all of the specific laws. But if I was the FFL, I would not actually perform the work to convert the SSE'd pistol back to stock form. There's just something about the FFL converting the same pistol that he SSE'd back to stock form that doesn't seem right to me. I think that the customer should take the SSE'd pistol home, convert it back to stock form, and simply go back to the FFL to return the parts. At least that is what I plan on doing when I go pick up my SSE'd pistol next week.

Added: Would love to hear from an FFL regarding this matter, although it might be better served in the SSE thread.

morrcarr67
03-13-2012, 9:32 PM
Paper - If you're OK with the FFL doing the SSE conversion why are you not OK with them reversing the work they did?

Turo
03-13-2012, 9:43 PM
I think that #7 is debate-able. I am not an FFL, so I don't know all of the specific laws. But if I was the FFL, I would not actually perform the work to convert the SSE'd pistol back to stock form. There's just something about the FFL converting the same pistol that he SSE'd back to stock form that doesn't seem right to me. I think that the customer should take the SSE'd pistol home, convert it back to stock form, and simply go back to the FFL to return the parts. At least that is what I plan on doing when I go pick up my SSE'd pistol next week.

Added: Would love to hear from an FFL regarding this matter, although it might be better served in the SSE thread.

There's no reason an FFL can't do gunsmithing work (turn a single shot pistol into a semi-auto). In fact they do it all the time. There's especially no reason an FFL can't do that work on a pistol he/she sold.

Librarian
03-13-2012, 10:29 PM
You've read the sticky in the Handguns forum, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=383692 ?

What part of your question is not (clearly) answered there?

Andy Taylor
03-14-2012, 10:12 AM
You've read the sticky in the Handguns forum, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=383692 ?

What part of your question is not (clearly) answered there?

The EXACT procedure and order of that procedure that the FFL must follow. IE: When does the pistol need to be in SS form? Before DROS? Or just before customer takes possession?

Eljay
03-14-2012, 11:36 AM
I would think before DROS. As part of the DROS procedure they choose the model from a popup and if it's off roster it won't be in the popup. So instead they choose why it's exempt. If they did DROS before the conversion they'd be lying and it's not like they don't audit dealers. It would be awkward to have DROS'd a single shot pistol that wasn't actually single shot...

bwiese
03-14-2012, 11:52 AM
The EXACT procedure and order of that procedure that the FFL must follow. IE: When does the pistol need to be in SS form? Before DROS? Or just before customer takes possession?

Please search for my detailed posts on this subject - they were posted mid-summer as "The Recipe". I'm confident it should be easily searchable.

Sticking to this recipe stops you from ending up like Sacramento LEOs that are in a world of hurt ;-)

Even though there's a variety of underground regulation being foisted by DOJ agents involved during FFL inspection, the best recipe is for a pistol to be 'single-shotted' (and in dimensional compliance to boot; or for a revolver to be dimensionally complaint and converted to single-action status) is for the gun to be converted to Roster-exempt status, then DROSed/4473d, wait the 10 days, pick up gun after performing a safety demo, and then leave the gunshop with the Roster-exempt pistol.

After that, the gun can be modified to whatever other legal status you want.

Andy Taylor
03-14-2012, 12:33 PM
bwiese: thank you. It was burried but I did find it. Tried to bump it but it was to old.
Here's a link for anyone interested.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=442220

bwiese
03-14-2012, 1:08 PM
This is the baseline one that the OP should look at

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=441766