PDA

View Full Version : PSL/AK reciever question

NYsteveZ
03-13-2012, 6:37 PM
I have an opportunity to swap a PSL for a rifle that I have. The PSL is basically in parts kit form. He DOES have a "reciever", however, it does not have a serial number, rivets pressed in, etc. Basically my question-A "flat" does not require an FFL, at what point does that "flat" magically be dubbed a receiver that needs an FFL?

myoung99
03-17-2012, 10:11 PM
A "flat" should be registered as soon as it is folded into the shape of the receiver as it is already pre drilled but the PSL does not have a pre drilled "flat" avaliable as far as I am aware so if you infact have a pre folded receiver blank without any holes in it then it is not something that you need to register until it is drilled to receive the the rest of the parts. Until then ut is just a folded piece of metal

HK-DEMON-
03-17-2012, 10:18 PM
A "flat" should be registered as soon as it is folded into the shape of the receiver as it is already pre drilled but the PSL does not have a pre drilled "flat" avaliable as far as I am aware so if you infact have a pre folded receiver blank without any holes in it then it is not something that you need to register until it is drilled to receive the the rest of the parts. Until then ut is just a folded piece of metal

Best trolling ever :facepalm:

ke6guj
03-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Best trolling ever :facepalm:what are you talking about?

myoung is basically correct. A pre-drilled AK flat is not considered a legal receiver until it it bent.

but a coldsteel PSL receiver is already bent, but doesn't have any holes drilled. It doesn't even have the magwell cut out. It is not a receiver until you cut and drill on it.

if you mean his term "register", I assume that he is just talking about having it PPT DROSed to the buyer if that reciever is completed.

CSACANNONEER
03-17-2012, 11:19 PM

:confused: You don't have to "register" any legal home build firearm.

NYsteveZ
03-18-2012, 8:40 AM
Yeah, it was cleared up. I found a PSL that is already build, but its good to know. Thanks everyone for your help. I am considering attending a build party in the future, but to make things easy for my first build, I will probably buy a pre-bent reciever so I can save everyone time. The only thing needed with mine may be some rivetting and parts install. My second build will include "bending a flat" when I am more comfortable.

bcsoftware
03-21-2012, 7:19 PM
the PSL is no hard to build than any AK just have to have a press tall enough to press the barrel in. i love building my PSL and AK's won't to do AK74's this year and if i can one more PSL.

NYsteveZ
03-21-2012, 7:40 PM
I am considering an AK 74 for my first build, Krink to be exact, but I am still ironing out the legal way to go about it. I dont want to chop it to be in pistol form, but I would gladly throw a barrel extender on it to be in compliance.