PDA

View Full Version : Update on the gun recovered by the LASD

Steve1968LS2
03-13-2012, 4:31 PM
A while back I posted that I got a letter from the LASD that they had retrieved a firearm registered to me. This was news to me since I wasn't missing one.

The two choices were that it was a gun I had sold private party prior to '91 or it was one of two guns my ex-wife kept when we split.

Turned out it was later. I emailed here and asked what happened to it and I got the "I don't know".. so it was either something wonky or something irresponsible.. either way she's not getting it back. :)

This is an older V model S&W Sigma .40 I bought back in the day. It's in decent shape, but dirty with a very light bit of rust in the barrel. A couple of the roll pins are pushed out a bit. Still had my slip on grip but someone added a hoopity junk *** laser to it. What's funny is that on inspection the laser is adjust WAY to the right, which considering who might of had it is a good thing.

It came in a black gun case and included one standard cap magazine. Funny thing is I thought this one had a 10-rounder. Now to go clean it and check it for function. It will make a fine, cheap "truck gun".. the laser will entertain my dogs.

So, the letter was dated 2/1/12 but didn't postmark until 2/8.. I recieved on 2/11.. I send the request for the LEGR to sacramento on 2/14 and recieved the stamped official deal back on 3/9. I called the detectives yesterday and left a message which was returned today (3/13). I went to the Sherrif station where they signed off on my letter, I then went to another address where property is stored called the Central Property and Evidence Unit (CPE) (HUGE warehouse, no sign.. lots of vault doors.)

The whole process today took just over an hour and the two detectives I dealt with were nice as could be, very friendly. The people at the property vault were nice too. Overall it was a pleasent experience.

At the CPE there was one guy in front me me picking up a revolver. I had rounds with it but they wouldn't give him the gun and the bullets and said he would have to come back later for the ammo. He let them keep it.

Nobody knew how/why the LASD ended up with the gun.. On the form I took to the CPE it listed a URN number and it said "PC NO 2121188" It also said "Delivery Date to CPE: 4/5/00"

Any idea what that PC code is? Also, have they really had it since April of 2000? Wow, took them awhile to contact me.. lol

So that's it.. Free gun that didn't end up getting sent to the shredder..

http://i39.tinypic.com/xmk61j.jpg

Librarian
03-13-2012, 4:42 PM
No such Penal Code; maybe 'Property Control' or something similar.

dsmoot
03-13-2012, 4:44 PM
Holy crap, that is one junk *** laser! How in the world would it ever stay aligned with mounts like that. Good to see you got a free gun out of it though!

resident-shooter
03-13-2012, 4:55 PM
very nice

FXR
03-13-2012, 4:58 PM
Awesome, glad you got it back! Less awesome that they kept it for almost 12 years, but at least they didn't melt it down!

ke6guj
03-13-2012, 5:08 PM
It came in a black gun case and included one standard cap magazine. Funny thing is I thought this one had a 10-rounder.anohther way to acquire Large-cap mags, have the cops give them to you :D

Tarn_Helm
03-13-2012, 5:13 PM
A while back I posted that I got a letter from the LASD that they had retrieved a firearm registered to me. This was news to me since I wasn't missing one.

The two choices were that it was a gun I had sold private party prior to '91 or it was one of two guns my ex-wife kept when we split.

Turned out it was later. I emailed here and asked what happened to it and I got the "I don't know".. so it was either something wonky or something irresponsible.. either way she's not getting it back. :)

This is an older V model S&W Sigma .40 I bought back in the day. It's in decent shape, but dirty with a very light bit of rust in the barrel. A couple of the roll pins are pushed out a bit. Still had my slip on grip but someone added a hoopity junk *** laser to it. What's funny is that on inspection the laser is adjust WAY to the right, which considering who might of had it is a good thing.

It came in a black gun case and included one standard cap magazine. Funny thing is I thought this one had a 10-rounder. Now to go clean it and check it for function. It will make a fine, cheap "truck gun".. the laser will entertain my dogs.

So, the letter was dated 3/1/12 but didn't postmark until 3/8.. I recieved on 3/11.. I send the request for the LEGR to sacramento on 3/14 and recieved the stamped official deal back on 3/9. I called the detectives yesterday and left a message which was returned today (3/13). I went to the Sherrif station where they signed off on my letter, I then went to another address where property is stored called the Central Property and Evidence Unit (CPE) (HUGE warehouse, no sign.. lots of vault doors.)

The whole process today took just over an hour and the two detectives I dealt with were nice as could be, very friendly. The people at the property vault were nice too. Overall it was a pleasent experience.

At the CPE there was one guy in front me me picking up a revolver. I had rounds with it but they wouldn't give him the gun and the bullets and said he would have to come back later for the ammo. He let them keep it.

Nobody knew how/why the LASD ended up with the gun.. On the form I took to the CPE it listed a URN number and it said "PC NO 2121188" It also said "Delivery Date to CPE: 4/5/00"

Any idea what that PC code is? Also, have they really had it since April of 2000? Wow, took them awhile to contact me.. lol

So that's it.. Free gun that didn't end up getting sent to the shredder..

I'm shocked.

A happy ending!

Now let's hope it stays that way (i.e., no negative repercussions arising if someone from the department reads your comments above about picking up property that--it could be argued--was not really yours).

Good luck.

And congrats.

:cool:

Steve1968LS2
03-13-2012, 5:14 PM
Holy crap, that is one junk *** laser! How in the world would it ever stay aligned with mounts like that. Good to see you got a free gun out of it though!

At 10 yards it over a foot off target.. no wonder gang members can't hit anything.. it has a dot and if you flip a switch you get a REALLY FUZZY crosshair..

And it's not really "free".. I paid for it and I didn't sell it.. it just went on vacation for awhile.

Oh, the paperwork cost me $20.. and $4 to park.. they waived the $56 fee at the LASD.

But now my dog is very entertained.. :)

No such Penal Code; maybe 'Property Control' or something similar.

Yea.. must be.. I have a friend who's a cop, maybe he can look up the URN Case number?

anohther way to acquire Large-cap mags, have the cops give them to you :D

I'm pretty sure this model had a 10-rnder.. My SW40F has standard caps.. the V was a later model. Either way it's nice to have one back in the stable :)

Steve1968LS2
03-13-2012, 5:17 PM
I'm shocked.

I happy ending.

Now let's hope it stays that way (i.e., no negative repercussions arising if someone from the department reads your comments above about picking up property that--it could be argued--was not really yours).

Good luck.

And congrats.

Here we go again.. lol

I was loaned, I let her keep it around for HD, obviously that was a mistake.. it wasn't awarded in a court case or anything. The loan is now over (theoretically it was over 12 years ago, but I digress).

And the Sherrif didn't even ask about ownership. I asked the detective and he said that it's owned (in thier view) by whoever it's registered to, all the rest is a civil matter.

Hilldweller
03-13-2012, 5:30 PM
Wanna make a profit? I'll give ya $75.00 for it !!! :D

Steve1968LS2
03-13-2012, 5:34 PM

I have three Sigmas now.. so I might just sell one.. The problem is that this one has a cool story.. my OD one is sorta rare and my first gen one is a pre-ban and blessed me with standard cap mags for the other ones.

I just got done stripping and cleaning it.. it's in amazing shape, then again it's been in storage for over a decade I guess.

SwPx4
03-13-2012, 6:03 PM
TOO bad it wasn't the python!!! ;-)

Congrats anyway.

Steve1968LS2
03-13-2012, 6:10 PM
TOO bad it wasn't the python!!! ;-)

Congrats anyway.

Or either Glock.. those were sold and would have been free guns.. this more like I lost 20 bucks 10 years ago and just found it.

But, the Sigma is good for what it is, better since I have standard caps for it in my safe.

Tarn_Helm
03-13-2012, 7:09 PM
Here we go again.. lol

I was loaned, I let her keep it around for HD, obviously that was a mistake.. it wasn't awarded in a court case or anything. The loan is now over (theoretically it was over 12 years ago, but I digress).

And the Sherrif didn't even ask about ownership. I asked the detective and he said that it's owned (in thier view) by whoever it's registered to, all the rest is a civil matter.

Oh.

Loaned.

Never mind.

I'm still surprised it worked out right.

Steve1968LS2
03-13-2012, 7:37 PM
Oh.

Loaned.

Never mind.

I'm still surprised it worked out right.

If you're honest and upfront they typically do :)

I thought this may help others that stumble into having to do the whole LEGR deal.

I can't imagine all the stuff in that facility.. would be facinating to rumage through.

I just wonder why they sat on it for 10+ years..

Peter.Steele
03-13-2012, 7:59 PM
Here we go again.. lol

Evidence Code 662: "The owner of the legal title to property is presumed to be the owner of the full beneficial title. This presumption may be rebutted only by clear and convincing proof."

axel4488
03-13-2012, 9:02 PM

I got 100 bucks cash money right now for it lol.

diggersdarling
03-13-2012, 9:15 PM
I got 100 bucks cash money right now for it lol.

That's a ripoff. I have 99 dollars and 101 cents.

;)

Steve1968LS2
03-13-2012, 9:25 PM
Wow... I might be able to retire by the time this thread is over.. is it worth more because it hung out in the evidence locker? lol

SouperMan
03-13-2012, 9:27 PM
Cool story and even cooler that you got the gun back!

Too bad you can't track the person who put the laser on with a serial number or something. Did you notice any markings of some sort that was not there when you loaned it to your ex-wife?

Steve1968LS2
03-13-2012, 9:41 PM
Cool story and even cooler that you got the gun back!

Too bad you can't track the person who put the laser on with a serial number or something. Did you notice any markings of some sort that was not there when you loaned it to your ex-wife?

Serial number on the laser? It's some $20 gun show special..

Who knows what EX did.. gave it away.. someone walked off with it.. in any event she didn't keep control of it and the gun ended up in an evidence locker. Obviously she wasn't responsible enough to have it. Keep in mind that it went into evidence on 4/2000 .. hell, I left it with her in late 1999.. Live and learn.

Besides the laser it looks just as it did.. been shot some, but after cleaning it's not even scratched up.

If it was one I had sold.. and IF I knew who I sold it to I would try to contact them.. Not the case here..

So, I'm glad it didn't get melted into slag so the Brady's could do a little dance.

SWalt
03-13-2012, 9:57 PM
Thats great news! Glad you posted the outcome of it all. With in about 5, 6 months? 4/2000?? wowwwwwww My bid is $110!! Do I hear $111?? (I'd keep it though if I were you, the history adds some color to any story you tell about it)

GOEX FFF
03-14-2012, 5:49 AM
Awesome! Great you got it back. I wouldn't sell it either.
It's like a little lost pet that finally made its way back home. :thumbsup:

Mssr. Eleganté
03-14-2012, 7:14 AM
With my luck it'll be the Sigma.. lol..

...This is an older V model S&W Sigma .40

:rofl:

Steve1968LS2
03-14-2012, 7:57 AM
:rofl:

Laugh it up Fuzzball! ;)

Hey, I'm not looking any gift horses in the mouth.. I have a free beater gun for the truck now :)

donw
03-14-2012, 9:48 AM
glad to hear someone came out ahead and actually got what the says.

CoyoteHunter555
03-14-2012, 9:51 AM
free gun? Hell ya

RazzB7
03-14-2012, 9:58 AM
Thanks for the update. It is a cool story, and not in the intertubes "Cool starry bra" kinda way.