PDA

View Full Version : Can this type of transfer happen...

BusBoy
03-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Hey Guys,

My wife let me know that the MIL heard me chatting while she was in town that I was looking for a new pistol project for a new competition gun. Well the wife let her know what I was looking for. Basically a STI longslide frame kit so I can tinker with a Limited division gun.

The wife comes to me and says they'd like to do this for a Bday present to me and how do they go about it. Hmmm I have no idea if its even possible I tell her so here are the particulars.

-- MIL to buy a STI frame kit in Oregon.
-- Shes here every summer (August) and then we would do a PPT? -or- would this qualify as intrafamily transfer?
-- Does anything special have to happen to the frame kit for a transfer to happen?

Thanks for the time guys

Librarian
03-13-2012, 1:54 PM
Since it's OR --> CA, it's an interstate transfer, and requires an FFL in CA.

If the transfer goes mother --> daughter, then it would be intrafamilial, and exempt from the Roster.

Find a local FFL - City Arms in PH? - and see what they charge for interstate intrafamilial.

Motodad
03-13-2012, 9:06 PM
I have a similar question. My FIL lives in Colorado, he purchased a pistol he really doesn't like and offered to give it to my wife. We live in California. The pistol is off roster. How would this work? Never done anything like this. Thanks

Quiet
03-13-2012, 9:47 PM
I have a similar question. My FIL lives in Colorado, he purchased a pistol he really doesn't like and offered to give it to my wife. We live in California. The pistol is off roster. How would this work? Never done anything like this. Thanks

1. You or your wife finds a CA FFL dealer that knows about out-of-state intra-familial handgun transfers.
2. The handgun can not be configured to be a prohibited weapon (assault weapon, SBR, SBS, etc) and the handgun can not include any large capacity magazines.
3. Your father-in-law ships the handgun, with a letter stating his relationship to his daughter & that the handgun is a gift for his daughter, to the CA FFL dealer.
4. Your wife, his daughter, goes to the CA FFL dealer and does the 4473/DROS for the handgun.
5. 10 days later, she goes back to the CA FFL dealer and picks up the handgun.

Motodad
03-14-2012, 7:09 AM
Thank you for the answer Quiet. Much appreciated.

BusBoy
03-15-2012, 7:56 AM
Librarian and Quiet,

Hadn't had the chance to get back to this thread till now... thank you both for the great information.

Bert Gamble
03-15-2012, 8:03 AM
1. You or your wife finds a CA FFL dealer that knows about out-of-state intra-familial handgun transfers.
2. The handgun can not be configured to be a prohibited weapon (assault weapon, SBR, SBS, etc) and the handgun can not include any large capacity magazines.
3. Your father-in-law ships the handgun, with a letter stating his relationship to his daughter & that the handgun is a gift for his daughter, to the CA FFL dealer.
4. Your wife, his daughter, goes to the CA FFL dealer and does the 4473/DROS for the handgun.
5. 10 days later, she goes back to the CA FFL dealer and picks up the handgun.

Is the father-in-law able to ship the gun, or does he have to come to California in person? If it can be shipped, that would be great.

Saves a round trip airfare.

Quiet
03-15-2012, 9:25 PM
Is the father-in-law able to ship the gun, or does he have to come to California in person? If it can be shipped, that would be great.

Saves a round trip airfare.
Yes.
It can be shipped or brought to the CA FFL dealer in person.