PDA

View Full Version : Fake supressor on 9mm

jink122
03-13-2012, 12:48 PM
I wanted to get a fake suppressor put on a pistol. My Uncle has a beretta slide that has a threaded barrel with it (He's in texas) that he says he will give me. If i buy a fake 9mm supressor for it, is it california legal to own? Also do i need to have it welded and pinned or can i slap on some tach weld and call it a day?

Also side note, i don't own a beretta 92fs (yet), so if i get the slide and barrel, is it legal for me to have since i have no frame for it to go on?

Glock22Fan
03-13-2012, 1:01 PM
Check the law on threaded pistol barrels. Legal if the barrel isn't part of a semi automatic pistol with detachable magazine, but otherwise it is a banned assault weapon

Why would you want to do this? Sounds childish to me.

(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, "assault weapon" also
means any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to
accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine
with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length
of less than 30 inches.
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a
detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor,
forward handgrip, or silencer.

(Abbreviated, there is more)

Helpful_Cub
03-13-2012, 1:08 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=82690

CHS
03-13-2012, 2:41 PM
I wanted to get a fake suppressor put on a pistol. My Uncle has a beretta slide that has a threaded barrel with it (He's in texas) that he says he will give me. If i buy a fake 9mm supressor for it, is it california legal to own? Also do i need to have it welded and pinned or can i slap on some tach weld and call it a day?

Also side note, i don't own a beretta 92fs (yet), so if i get the slide and barrel, is it legal for me to have since i have no frame for it to go on?

The threaded barrel and slide are perfectly legal to own and posses, even with a fake suppressor attached, in California since they are just parts. Parts are parts and legal.

You cannot assemble a threaded barrel onto a semi-automatic pistol in California though, unless it is a fixed-magazine firearm.

There is some precedent with the Walther P22's that a threaded barrel is ok as long as it is covered with a nut without wrench flats and industrial adhesive is used to affix it. However, this was only after the DOJ "oopsied!" and approved for sale in California a deadly .22lr ASSAULT WEAPON that had a threaded barrel by design.

Now, if you think hanging a weight off the muzzle of your pistol is going to look cool, you might be right. But you'll be sorely disappointed at the reliability of that gun. Hanging pointless weights off the muzzle of a semi-auto pistol is generally a bad idea. Unless you enjoy unreliable guns :)

CEDaytonaRydr
03-13-2012, 3:25 PM
There is some precedent with the Walther P22's that a threaded barrel is ok as long as it is covered with a nut without wrench flats and industrial adhesive is used to affix it. However, this was only after the DOJ "oopsied!" and approved for sale in California a deadly .22lr ASSAULT WEAPON that had a threaded barrel by design.

Isn't that grounds for overturning the law? I mean, a law is either always applicable and necessary, or... it's not. :cool:

CHS
03-13-2012, 3:50 PM
a law is either always applicable and necessary, or... it's not. :cool:

Not really. Look at all of the assault weapon pistols that are exempt from the assault weapon ban AND the roster at the same time.

Our state calls them "Olympic/Competition pistols".

stix213
03-13-2012, 3:56 PM
If you permanently attach a large muzzle device like this to a barrel on a 92, would you even be able to disassemble the gun anymore?

jink122
03-13-2012, 4:01 PM
If you permanently attach a large muzzle device like this to a barrel on a 92, would you even be able to disassemble the gun anymore?

hahaha... stix213, good point. Well, there does that plan. As for unreliable gun, this would all be done as novelty. I have my other pistols that i use, this would have been a nice piece to just have.

watsonville
03-13-2012, 4:47 PM
What about a Draco do I have to weld on my muzzle device (ak 74 brake)?

gunn
03-13-2012, 4:56 PM
hahaha... stix213, good point. Well, there does that plan. As for unreliable gun, this would all be done as novelty. I have my other pistols that i use, this would have been a nice piece to just have.

What's the point of acquiring a non-usable gun esp if you have to pay for transfer fees?

Why not just buy a replacement barrel?
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=62143/pid=32124/Product/BARREL-ASSEMBLY-92F-FS?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&mc_id=10000&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c3466_a_7c913101182_d_ 913101182_d_10529

Nevermind. I read it again. Your uncle will give you the slide but not the gun.
Oh well.
-g

gunn
03-13-2012, 5:01 PM
What about a Draco do I have to weld on my muzzle device (ak 74 brake)?

Aren't all Draco's 7.62x39? If you weld on an AK74 (5.45) brake, interesting things may happen the first time you shoot it.

That being said, if the gun requires a mag lock, it no longer has a detachable magazine. Therefore, you could have a threaded barrel.

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

No detachable mag, A-B-C-D are "don't cares."

SDM44
03-14-2012, 4:25 PM
Even if you did put a fake can on your gun, you'd need to make sure your gun would even cycle properly with it.

I've tried using a 5" fake can on a Glock 19 before, and 115 gr ammo would not eject and the slide would not completely move back. When I used a heavier bullet like 147 gr, then the slide operated normally.

Below.Zero
03-14-2012, 4:27 PM
To have a threaded barrel on a semi auto pistol with a detachable mag is a NO GO.

alfred1222
03-18-2012, 4:59 PM
To have a threaded barrel on a semi auto pistol with a detachable mag is a NO GO.

Normally i would agree, but if the fake suppressor is welded onto the barrel, than i think the barrel is no longer considered threaded. but this leads to you running into the same problem i had when i though this out. if you weld something to the barrel, it is impossible to disassemble the pistol. now if you want a gun that looks cool, that you'll only shoot once in awhile, and that you, well, dont really care about cleaning, than go ahead. from everything ive read, welding something over the threads makes the barrel no longer threaded.

Wherryj
03-19-2012, 9:52 AM
Isn't that grounds for overturning the law? I mean, a law is either always applicable and necessary, or... it's not. :cool:

Welcome to "The Living Constitution". There is no longer a need to have those pesky debates about what a law really means, just decide that it means what you want it to mean. Why worry about the hassles of writing laws that are precise when you can just arbitrarily enforce them?

AKSOG
03-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Would finding a way to lock one on to the barrel without using "threads" be legal? Not saying i would even want to do that I'm just curious.