PDA

View Full Version : DOJ's Rossi retiring - Sen. Jack Scott holding a reception

bwiese
04-11-2007, 9:26 AM
Man, a whole buncha little birdies phoning in all at once. (Wonder if there's some kinda bird that's native/specific to Sacto area that I can use to name these folks??)

Tomorrow is Randy Rossi's last day at DOJ.

Rossi's been on preretirement "cruise control" for the last half-year or more (perhaps associated with some hip surgery), and I believe that's why there is some lack of organization and various "left hand vs. right hand" issues.

Antigun Sen. Jack Scott will be holding a reception/good-bye party for him.

It's interesting to note that whenever Rossi spoke to gun groups in past years, he touted himself as a gunowner and agendaless basic public servant/functionary. (I've heard his spiel personally.) But in reality, he's antigun: in a variety of Norcal college recruiting meetings for DOJ FD, there have been numerous reports of his antigun comments. Sen. Jack Scott's tribute really shows where his true sentiments are.

Any other changes as the Firearms Division transitions downwards to Bureau status may well be longer and drawn out since budgets are not officially set yet and are up in the air, I hear - so it's useless at this time to jawbone and make further speculation about DOJ BoF motives, staff, activities, initiatives...

CalNRA
04-11-2007, 9:33 AM
is Rossi the same Rossi as in the firs AW restriction law?

leelaw
04-11-2007, 9:43 AM
Maybe we could convince Brown to fund the BOF the same way he funded the Oakland PD Fingerprint Processing Lab. ;)

6172crew
04-11-2007, 9:43 AM
No doubt Scott is the worst of teh worst and his people answering the phones will ask you if your from his area and if not they will hang up on you....when they find out you are pro 2nd ammendment.

Im going to pass out candy to little kids on the street corner like a arab when that guy retires.:mad: Elitist doesnt even come close to discribing that bunch of clowns.

bwiese
04-11-2007, 9:48 AM

No, I think you're mixing it up "R"-prefixed names. The 1989 AW ban is commonly called Roberti-Roos, after its two sponsoring CA legislators, Dave Roberti and Mike Roos.

You can also experience more of Mike Roos' joys in some areas of CA if you have to pay special "Mello-Roos" assessments on your property taxes.

tgriffin
04-11-2007, 1:27 PM
So who is next inline to take the throne? Appointed position? Alison? Iggy? 2 weeks?

Technical Ted
04-11-2007, 1:36 PM
That was a Mr. Roberti and Mr. Roos who authored the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989.

HK fan
04-11-2007, 5:26 PM
So who is next inline to take the throne? Appointed position? Alison? Iggy? 2 weeks?

SOMEBODY has got to take over the ship. The birdies give any indication? Even though it really is just a figurehead position.

6172crew
04-11-2007, 5:55 PM
I will run that sucker.:p AW permits to anyone who can prove they can lock them up in a safe place when not in use.

xenophobe
04-11-2007, 5:57 PM
Any other changes as the Firearms Division transitions downwards to Bureau status may well be longer and drawn out since budgets are not officially set yet and are up in the air, I hear - so it's useless at this time to jawbone and make further speculation about DOJ BoF motives, staff, activities, initiatives...

I'm not so sure the name is a transition downwards... Both the FBI and BATF have smaller divisions.... and my thinking is that they might want to sound more authoritive....

lol Silly boffers, bureaus are for credible government agencies.

hoffmang
04-11-2007, 7:42 PM
Alison Merrilees was Jack Scott's legislative aide before joining the then Department of Firearms... In fact her husband was also on Jack Scott's staff and I think that's where they met.

Senator Scott lost a son, Adam, to an accidental discharge at a party:
http://stopourshootings.org/about_us/letters/scott_j.html

-Gene

Charliegone
04-11-2007, 8:58 PM
Alison Merrilees was Jack Scott's legislative aide before joining the then Department of Firearms... In fact her husband was also on Jack Scott's staff and I think that's where they met.

http://stopourshootings.org/about_us/letters/scott_j.html

-Gene

Thats a shame..but with a little education his death may have been prevented.

bwiese
04-11-2007, 9:34 PM
As for Scott's kid: as I understand it, it was "more than a party".

As far as Xeno's comment: generally, speaking in the hierarchy of California state governmental entities, a Bureau is at a lower level than a Division.

In the case of BoF, it's now yet another entity in the law enforcment division.

It's currently being overseen by Law Enforcement Div. Directory Rick Oules, who oversees the whole shebang. A Bureau will be led by a mananager.

6172crew
04-11-2007, 9:39 PM
As for Scott's kid: as I understand it, it was "more than a party".

As far as Xeno's comment: generally, speaking in the hierarchy of California state governmental entities, a Bureau is at a lower level than a Division.

It's currently being overseen by Law Enforcement Div. Directory Rick Oules, who oversees the whole shebang. A Bureau will be led by a mananager.

How is Rick about civilians following the letter of the law.?:)

luvtolean
04-11-2007, 9:45 PM

That was a negligent discharge.

Nothing accidental about it.

Tragic, needless waste of a young man though. :( Too bad Sen Scott will never be able to legislate away stupid.

stator
04-12-2007, 8:17 AM
But in reality, he's antigun: in a variety of Norcal college recruiting meetings for DOJ FD, there have been numerous reports of his antigun comments. Sen. Jack Scott's tribute really shows where his true sentiments are.

And you are surprised? I posted that about Randy early last year here. To borrow the words of Jim March, Randy is the "stealth anti-gun" director. You guys focus too much on another DOJ employee who is more known as just an office b**ch doing the bidding for the boss.

Some of you guys were salivating at Randy's attendance and speach at a pro-gun meeting last year. A few gave warnings that most would understand if it was well-known who was one of Randy's biggest supporters - it was not Scott. It was another politician who did much damage to the freedom and rights of CA gun-owners but managed to keep out of the spotlight compared to Perata, Roberti, Roos, Scott, and the usual other suspects. This guy was around when Roberti and Roos felted the backlash after RR was signed.

Mute
04-12-2007, 9:56 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I've never believed for one moment that Ross was anything but a solid anti-gun rights supporter.

GW
04-12-2007, 12:26 PM
if it was well-known who was one of Randy's biggest supporters - it was not Scott. It was another politician who did much damage to the freedom and rights of CA gun-owners but managed to keep out of the spotlight compared to Perata, Roberti, Roos, Scott, and the usual other suspects. This guy was around when Roberti and Roos felted the backlash after RR was signed.

So who was/is this mystery man?

Rumpled
04-12-2007, 1:51 PM
Man, a whole buncha little birdies phoning in all at once. (Wonder if there's some kinda bird that's native/specific to Sacto area that I can use to name these folks??)

Go with yellow billed magpie. It's the only bird native to only CA and lives mostly in the Sac Valley.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/watchable/magpies.html
The yellow-billed magpie holds the honors for being the only bird found exclusively within California's borders. Bird watchers from around the world travel to the Central Valley and south coast ranges to see this flashy native.

A relative of crows and jays, the yellow-billed magpie shares the family trait of being extremely gregarious. Shy and retiring they're not. Festooned with brilliant iridescent black and white feathers, a long tapered tail and a bright yellow beak, the yellow-billed magpie stands out in the farmlands and riparian forests it calls home. And, if their bright colors don't attract your attention, their scolding call will.

bwiese
04-12-2007, 2:31 PM
Well, we wish him well with his retirement. There shouldn't be an "us against them" mindset.

Pure BS. Guess you're a noob here - if you knew what the DOJ Firearms Div. was doing over the past 1.25 years, enforcing nonexistent laws, interfering with interstate commerce, having agents (Iggy!) perjure themselves w/regard to search warrants, I think you'd think otherwise.

These people while are not our buddies, they are normal people and I'm sure nice.

Maybe some of the line staff on the phones or the folks handling DROS papers are. The senior staff has a definite antigun agenda, is willing to try to criminalize legal behavior, etc. The Deputy AG is actively working with the Brady camp and, in essence, takes orders from them: we have the email traffic (exposed thru an ongoing court case).

We need to work on communication with the DOJ and there isn't a reason we can't have a positive relationship with them.

Naive, boy. Why do we want a positive relationship with people who are actually engaging in illegal conduct?

We're following the law, which is what they want.

Yes, we are. No, they want us to not understand the law, and want instead for us to rely on their falsified interpretation of it.

You'll note the DOJ was very fast to tout the Kasler decision.

They never publicized, in contrast, the Harrott decision.

They never ever properly updated the "DOJ coloring book" (Assault Weapons Identification Guide).

They do not provide proper info/training to Law enforcement agencies and prefer they work in a cloud of uncertainty.

And while being the chief law enforcement officer in this state (within this field) they have failed their statutory duty to provide 'reference standard' information about AWs. The fact that they offered zero comment or rebuttal to our comments during the comment hearings last year for the proposed regulatory redefinitions tells us there's no interest in mutual reasoned communications.

'Nuff said.

It would be nice if they could of course make the laws more clear on items like Monsterman grip, Price 50 & Bullet button and other lingering questions.

Hey, dude, they are trying to CRIMINALIZE things like Prince50 if they could (even though it is legal in the laws' wording).

We do not need 'clarification', the plain language of the law is good enough.

I have no idea where you got your 'pie in the sky' attitude.

We can of course never expect them to be friends or on our side, but we should at least be able to expect neutrality and simple enforcement of existing laws on the book, as read and understood by us here and in light of their prior approvals.

artherd
04-12-2007, 3:58 PM
Well, we wish him well with his retirement. There shouldn't be an "us against them" mindset. These people while are not our buddies, they are normal people and I'm sure nice. WSome of the DOJ staff underlings are actually great people, several are FFLs and belive it or not, have actually transfered & own OLLs!

However the DOJ brass have been shown to employ the Brady Center personel in directly dictating policy & administrative law. They are engaging in borderline (and sometimes demonstrably beyond borderline) criminal acts to advance a personal agenda under the guise of public service.

That's NOT very nice...

In a perfect world, they would be our friends. We are going to extrordinary legenths to follow the law.

xenophobe
04-12-2007, 5:55 PM

Well, as long as I can still call them BOFFERS... then it's fine with me. :D

Comstock Lode
04-13-2007, 11:50 AM
why can't we just be friends... what bs. Bill said it well, we have seen repeated unfriendly, even illegal, activities directed at individuals making a sincere effort to comply with the law. By the way, these are, by definition, law abiding folks, not criminals. The criminals, which the DOJ seems less concerned about, are so far outside these petty rules regarding magazine pins, bullet buttons, evil features, its funny...

bwiese
04-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Some more from my little birdies - or better yet, yellow-bellied magpies (a native Sacramento-area bird):

To everyone in the Divisions of Law Enforcement, Firearms, and Gambling Control:

After carefully considering how the Department of Justice can best serve its law enforcement functions, the Attorney General has decided to return to the historical model of including the Firearms and Gambling Control programs within the Division of Law Enforcement. Thus, Firearms and Gambling Control will once again become bureaus within DLE. This reorganization will take effect immediately, although the programs' budgets will not be fully aligned until the beginning of the fiscal year.

The benefits of this reorganization will be significant. Not only will the reorganization help us to consolidate and ensure consistency among our law enforcement programs, but it will also help us to promote a more unified and streamlined department.

Thank you.

(signed)Jim Humes, Chief Deputy AG

donger
04-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Some more from my little birdies - or better yet, yellow-bellied magpies (a native Sacramento-area bird):

Bill, is this good news? Maybe we won't see Asst AG's running around without supervision or field agents make regulatory decisions while under the proper guidance?

bwiese
04-13-2007, 1:07 PM
Bill, is this good news? Maybe we won't see Asst AG's running around without supervision or field agents make regulatory decisions while under the proper guidance?

We don't know yet. It won't get worse, but we'll have to see after this period of disorganization settles, and when the new budget is out. A Calgunner who was in contact with the Brown campaign staff awhile back told me that some folks were aware of unhappiness in the ranks in the FD and some "drama" in the Division.

Bureucratically, it's a demotion of the agency's (FD->BoF) relative importance, esp as creation of the Firearms Division out of the BCIA in the late 90s was solely a political/campaign move.

I will note that, from a sheer administrative standpoint, Bureaus likely get less money than Divisions :) One way of cutting an organization's budget is rendering into a form that can't be seen to be getting excessive funding in comparision to other organizations at the same level in the hierarchy.

Rumpled
04-14-2007, 12:48 AM

Hey, check that out; Bill liked my suggestion.

CalNRA
04-14-2007, 1:29 AM
Well, we wish him well with his retirement. There shouldn't be an "us against them" mindset. These people while are not our buddies, they are normal people and I'm sure nice. We need to work on communication with the DOJ and there isn't a reason we can't have a positive relationship with them. We're following the law, which is what they want. It would be nice if they could of course make the laws more clear on items like Monsterman grip, Price 50 & Bullet button and other lingering questions.

wow.

I mean wow.

You really need to go back and read how the OLLs started, what the DOJ did, and what kind of BS that they tried to pull.

seriously.

DrjonesUSA
04-14-2007, 8:06 AM
Well, we wish him well with his retirement. There shouldn't be an "us against them" mindset. These people while are not our buddies, they are normal people and I'm sure nice. We need to work on communication with the DOJ and there isn't a reason we can't have a positive relationship with them. We're following the law, which is what they want. It would be nice if they could of course make the laws more clear on items like Monsterman grip, Price 50 & Bullet button and other lingering questions.

I agree 100% with what Bill Weise said....no offense, but you are 100% unaware of what DOJ has done to us and other gun owners over the last year or so.