PDA

View Full Version : Are spring assisted knives legal to carry?

doubleoughtbuck
03-12-2012, 11:56 PM
I just bought one (Kershaw Leek) and was reviewing PC 653(k) and from what I gather, as long as the blade provides some resistance when opening it is legal (ie pressure on the thumbstud). Is that correct?

stix213
03-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Assisted openers are fine as long as you have to push on the blade or a thumbstud to get it started.

IANAL

jwkincal
03-13-2012, 7:48 AM
If it has a "bias toward closure" then it is supposed to be OK.

Look in the signature block of the CalGuns member called "Librarian," he has a link to the knife FAQs

ETA here I did it for you... http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2289918&postcount=6

Pat Riot
03-13-2012, 8:28 AM
I have a leek. Bought in CA. I carry it everywhere. I checked the local listings before purchase, and Im confident that carriage is perfectly legal.

Funny story. I accidentally brought it into a court house one time. (by accidental I mean I wasnt trying to cause a scene or make a point or anything) They have metal detectors, so I had to empty my pockets. Well, I dropped the knife in the little box along with my keys and cell. The Sheriff deputy fishes through the box and pulls out my knife, and proceeds to inspect it.

He was opening and closing it and holding it up to the light and all manner of things. Another deputy comes over and looks over his shoulder. Meanwhile Im already through the metal detector and the deputy comes up to me and tells me that I have to leave it in my car. I asked if he could hold on to it for me, and he said no.

Whatever happened to "checking your steel" ???

Anyways the point is, even the 3 or so deputies in a court house in a very anti-self-defense area of CA didnt hassle me about the leek. So not only is it legal, but your're probably safe from arrest too. Which is nice, because remember, theres a difference between what is legal, and what you wont get arrested for.

gun toting monkeyboy
03-13-2012, 11:36 AM
I carry a scallion, the next smaller size, and have since about 2004. Yes, they are legal. Check your local laws to make sure there are no oddball ones that can trip you up. But the state laws are pretty lax on folding knives. I like the scalion over the leek because it is short enough to be legal on military bases, Federal reservations, and most non-court and non k-12 govermnent buildings. I have gone through the security checks at many of the local city/county buildings and they take one look at it and hand it back, then wave me through. YMMV.

-Mb

a1c
03-13-2012, 12:37 PM
I carry a scallion, the next smaller size, and have since about 2004. Yes, they are legal. Check your local laws to make sure there are no oddball ones that can trip you up. But the state laws are pretty lax on folding knives. I like the scalion over the leek because it is short enough to be legal on military bases, Federal reservations, and most non-court and non k-12 govermnent buildings. I have gone through the security checks at many of the local city/county buildings and they take one look at it and hand it back, then wave me through. YMMV.

-Mb

Wow. In my county, I was turned away when I forgot to get rid of a wine key (that includes a tiny foil cutting blade) to enter a court building.

Munk
03-13-2012, 4:03 PM
I had a rent-a-retired-cop get all worked up over my spring assist once. It was funny.

Like mentioned before, ensure that it only opens with pressure on the blade or blade stud, and that it falls within your county/city's length requirements. (Most places DON'T have requirements though).