PDA

View Full Version : First DROS denied, Second one proceed - how to file paperwork?

Colonel Monk
03-12-2012, 9:46 PM
Hi

So we had only one DROS so far that was rejected a few days after initial approval due to a Driver's License Issue. Buyer had the problems fixed at DMV, weapon was re-DROSed and approved.

We have kept the original dros with the cancelled one, but how to handle it on the 4473 side? They have boxes for "denied" and all that, I'm wondering if there should be two 4473s, one showing it was denied and the other showing it was approved...

Little Help?

Thanks,

CM

dachan
03-12-2012, 10:24 PM
I would have closed the first 4473 once the denial was received and had the buyer complete a second 4473 when submitting the second DROS.

Colonel Monk
03-12-2012, 11:09 PM
I would have closed the first 4473 once the denial was received and had the buyer complete a second 4473 when submitting the second DROS.

OK... I still have the first 4473 - so are you saying that it should be marked "denied" in box 21c and then filed?

We can still do a second 4473 for the approved DROS as the firearm has not been picked up yet.

Thanks!

Monk

tenpercentfirearms
03-13-2012, 7:56 AM
OK... I still have the first 4473 - so are you saying that it should be marked "denied" in box 21c and then filed?

We can still do a second 4473 for the approved DROS as the firearm has not been picked up yet.

Thanks!

Monk

Yes, that is exactly how I wold do it. Once the DROS is denied, you put that on the 4473 and close out the whole packet. When they come in to re-DROS then they start the process all over again.

kemasa
03-13-2012, 9:10 AM
Yep, close the first, file it and start another.

Colonel Monk
03-13-2012, 5:44 PM
Yep, close the first, file it and start another.

Howdy all, just to make sure we are all speaking the same language - "close out" the file you just mean marking it denied in 21c and filing it correct?

Thanks, still learning.

CM

kemasa
03-13-2012, 6:18 PM
Yep, that is what I mean.

Colonel Monk
03-13-2012, 6:31 PM
Thanks again, all of you. I think questions have not been answered around here because boss was afraid to ask DOJ / ATF for fear of triggering an inspection, not knowing if everything was being done just right.

Largely, I think so based on input from you guys. But checking and triple-checking to make sure.

Thanks

killjoy19delta
03-13-2012, 9:29 PM
what type of drivers license issue can cancel dros?

Colonel Monk
03-13-2012, 10:25 PM
what type of drivers license issue can cancel dros?

Good Question? I'm at home now so I don't have the details, I'll try to remember and ask boss what happened.

All I know for sure is that something didn't jibe, DROS was denied, buyer went to DMV and got the details fixed, new copy of license, and then it was approved upon resubmittal.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that possibly the stored info on the DL was screwed up somehow and a flag went up.

CM

Colonel Monk
03-13-2012, 10:31 PM
From DOJ website FAQ:

What happens if there is a problem with the purchaser's driver's license?
If DROS information conflicts with the DMV driver license files or if the license is suspended or invalid, the DOJ will cancel the transaction and notify the firearms dealer. The purchaser should contact DMV to correct or update information in DMV's files. Once the DMV problem has been cleared, a new DROS may be initiated.

(PC section 12071(b)(3)(B))

This is kind of funny because the individual had a commercial DL. It wasn't suspended or anything, but as stated above I think there was something amiss with DMV records....

kemasa
03-14-2012, 12:41 PM
As I understand it, there can be many issues with the DL which can cause a DMV reject. The DOJ does not always know why and the DL can still be valid to drive. It is an issue which has to get corrected with the DMV and only they can answer the question.