PDA

View Full Version : CA Legal AR Transfer question

bikertrash2006
04-11-2007, 9:36 AM
Okay, my friend wants to sell me his lower: The question is... this is a DPMS lower. Which I believe is on the LIST! Now, it was purchased leagally in CA once upon a time (or so I'm told). Can this lower be transfered legally in CA?

Please help...

Jicko
04-11-2007, 9:39 AM
DPMS is on the list.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=559476&postcount=3&highlight=DPMS

1) it cannot be transfered, or purchased

2) if he hasn't already "registered" it as an AW, he should strip out any parts... and "destroy" the lower

bwiese
04-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Yeah, DPMS lowers are problematic. Walk away.

Most are "DPMS Panther..." and the Kasler list says "DPMS Panther (all)...".

[Do note: there are rumored to be some early (possibly cast? not forged?) DPMS receivers without any Panther markings and these would not be banned.]

Firstly, there's some lack of specificity there that may not meet the Harrott standard.

We're also pretty sure that possession of a 'banned-by-name' receiver alone, not built into any kind of working rifle, is defendable, as the law specifically refers to semautomatic firearms. This was alluded to in legislative analysis of AB2728 last year.

However, this in no way is a recommendation to acquire or keep any 'named' receivers. Your friend is best off without it for minimizing grief...

Also, further handwaving is added by what we're pretty sure is the original exemplar used by Evan's/GBSales for DOJ + Iggy approval of their welded-up guns/receivers: a DPMS !!

bikertrash2006
04-11-2007, 4:09 PM
Bill, if this lower has no markings then is there another way to tell what brand it is? I haven't looked at it close enough to remember markings. Should there also be some kind of markings on it?

Jicko
04-11-2007, 4:41 PM
AR Lower receivers are consider as "firearms", ie. needed to be serialized. So there must be some markings.

Why go thru the trouble? Get a $95 Stag lower receiver from one of the vendors that is around here(10%, CWS, lanworld)... then just buy all his other parts (if they are good deal).....

If you really want us to help to figure out if that piece is legal or not(yet, never trust free-internet-legal-advices)... you can post some detailed pictures of it.... (but then.... u are responsible for your own actions..... ie. don't post the serial #, since if it is indeed a banned lower, and if your frd is indeed in CA, and if that serial # hasn't been registered..... blah blah blah..... then you know the potential implication....)

bwiese
04-11-2007, 4:53 PM
Bill, if this lower has no markings then is there another way to tell what brand it is? I haven't looked at it close enough to remember markings. Should there also be some kind of markings on it?

Any AR-pattern lower, unless blasted with shot and soaked in acid, will have human-readable markings, including make model and serial number. In fact, this is true for all firearms receivers that are ATF controlled.

For AR-pattern receivers, this info is usually on the left hand side (if regarded from the shooter's position).

It WILL be there. You said it said "DPMS" in your initial post, and if that's the case, I'm pretty sure it will also say "Panther" as well - so you should walk away - and tell your friend he has a problematic item.

gn3hz3ku1*
04-11-2007, 6:12 PM
i hope your friend bought this lower in CA. then moved out years ago.

also remind him to buy a drill or saw

bikertrash2006
04-11-2007, 7:56 PM
I'm walking away from this one. I told my friend what you guys have said. He is keeping it stripped and in his safe.

As for me, I'm going to try and get one of my local FFLs to order me an OLL that I don't have to worry about legal issues (currently).

Thanks everyone.

Surveyor
04-11-2007, 8:03 PM
Hijack!!!

Are "listed" lowers worth anything out of state, say like a trade at a gun show?

Matt C
04-11-2007, 8:26 PM
Hijack!!!

Are "listed" lowers worth anything out of state, say like a trade at a gun show?

About the same as a non-listed lower is here... Maybe slightly less.