View Full Version : Intrafamilial/peace officer HSC exemption...

03-12-2012, 5:07 PM
Hello, all -

When a peace officer fills out a 4544A for an intrafamilial transfer (in this case, the officer has been gifted a gun by her father), what should she enter in the "handgun safety certificate no." box? And, by way of evidence, is inclusion of a photocopy of her department ID sufficient?

Thanks very much!


Mssr. Eleganté
03-12-2012, 7:28 PM
The penal code requires even HSC exempt people to have an HSC if they are doing an intrafamilial transfer of a handgun. You could try writing something like "exempt-law enforcement officer" and see if they will accept it as going with the "spirit" of the law. But technically you are supposed to have an HSC. DOJ didn't even have a space on the form to include your HSC information until this year, so who knows if they really care about it.

03-12-2012, 8:10 PM
She could write X31 in the box and include a photocopy of her department ID. I'm betting that will work.

X31 is the same exemption code used for Peace Officer - California - Active on the DROS form.

Here are the others:

X01 = Special Weapons Permit Holder
X02 = Operation of Law Representative
X03 = Handgun being returned to the owner
X13 = FFL collector with COE (curio and relic handguns only)
X21 = Military - Active Duty
X22 = Military - Reserve
X25 = Military - Honorably Retired
X31 = Peace Officer - California - Active
X32 = Peace Officer - Federal - Active
X33 = Peace Officer - California - Honorably Retired
X34 = Peace Officer - California - Reserve
X35 = Peace Officer - Federal - Honorably Retired
X41 = Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permit Holder
X81 = P.O.S.T. 832 PC (Firearms) Training
X91 = Particular and Limited Authority Peace Officers
X95 = Law Enforcement Service Gun to Family Member

Try it and you might be able to save $25. Let us know.