PDA

View Full Version : does those fake cans affect accuracy?

ns3v3n
04-10-2007, 10:13 PM
well my question is exactly what the title said. going for the mmg configuration, cant have the FH. so i need a thread protector :D . like the look of the fake cans. anyone?

Matt C
04-10-2007, 10:15 PM
well my question is exactly what the title said. going for the mmg configuration, cant have the FH. so i need a thread protector :D . like the look of the fake cans. anyone?

They are not interacting with the bullet at all really, so the best answer is no.

Prc329
04-10-2007, 10:16 PM
if it does it is so small I have not noticed.

ns3v3n
04-10-2007, 10:26 PM
nice, :D

Jicko
04-10-2007, 10:26 PM
NO, except that it does add weight.... and it does weight a little heavier than a thread in threads-protector.

1911_Mitch
04-10-2007, 10:31 PM
but does not weigh as much as a muzzle break such as the Mini-Y Comp.

Sydwaiz
04-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Silicon boobs. Well, it is California...

NeoWeird
04-10-2007, 11:25 PM
ANYTHING attached to your rifle will ALTER the bullets path. Now if that harms 'accuracy' is a different question. I remember once, in my earlier days of learning machining, that for a good while the generalized 'What is?...' measurement of a thousandth of an inch was the amount of deflection an ordinary house fly would have on a steel I-beam with it's entire weight supported on it's edges. You can then imagine that a piece of aluminum (which is what they usually are) that weights anywere from an ounce or two to almost a pound will, in the sense of thousandths, put a big arch in the barrel. This won't really do much to the average person, but it's not something you really want on something that is going for long range accuracy.

So to answer your question, YES it will arch the barrel slightly, which will throw the bullet off of it's original point of impact. You may be able to compensate for this by aiming half an inch higher or it may spew bullets at random, with the former being more likely than not. Just keep in mind that it CAN cause a problem.

Jicko
04-10-2007, 11:28 PM
I know nothing about "in theory".... but practically speaking.... NO.... it doesn't..... so far, I had shot mine with and without it up to about 300yds.....

Prc329
04-10-2007, 11:36 PM
I know nothing about "in theory".... but practically speaking.... NO.... it doesn't..... so far, I had shot mine with and without it up to about 300yds.....

Same here. I have two fake cans on two different carbines. One with a heavy stainless steal Wilson barrel and one with a m4 profile barrel. When I go to Angeles I can kill the steel all day long with no problem. 200 yards is good. See that pig at 300 yards? consider him dead (sorry proraptor). The only noticeable difference is compared to my rifles with the YHM brake on it the muzzle moves around more. That is to be expected from a light barrel with no brake on it.

626Tony
04-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Nope just makes the rifle look cool

FMJBT
04-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Aside from the weight issue, adding a fake can can also alter barrel harmonics. As long as it is mounted solidly, it probably wont have any detectable negative effect. I would suggest leaving it in place once you get the rifle zeroed though, as you will definitely see a shift in point of impact at longer ranges if you take it off.

Prc329
04-10-2007, 11:53 PM
I used a crush washer, a piece of rubber from a strap wrench and a large vise grip. That thing ain't movin. It may not come back off :)

Spike's tactical fake can. I have not tried or plan to try the MFI can. You can't beat $40 from 10%. He is out of the blank ones though.

Tweak338
04-10-2007, 11:58 PM
I used a crush washer, a piece of rubber from a strap wrench and a large vise grip. That thing ain't movin. It may not come back off :)

I couldn't get mine to fit over the crush washer. so its just the fake can on threads

Prc329
04-11-2007, 12:00 AM
You can't use a used crush washer. It must be a new one.

Jicko
04-11-2007, 12:13 AM
Aside from the weight issue, adding a fake can can also alter barrel harmonics. As long as it is mounted solidly, it probably wont have any detectable negative effect. I would suggest leaving it in place once you get the rifle zeroed though, as you will definitely see a shift in point of impact at longer ranges if you take it off.

Like how long? Are you supposed to shoot a 16" M4? With 1x EOTech?

Tweak338
04-11-2007, 12:27 AM
You can't use a used crush washer. It must be a new one.
haha, now i feel even more retarded..

FMJBT
04-11-2007, 12:37 AM
At 100 yards, you might notice a shift in point of impact of up to an inch or more between having the can on and taking it off. Not really an issue at 100 yards, but 500 yards it could be a problem. As long as it is mounted solidly though, it shouldn't degrade accuracy once you get it zeroed. Think of the BOSS system that Browning and Winchester used a few years back. It used a muzzle device similar to a fake can to dampen barrel harmonics. By adjusting it, you could find the "sweet spot" for whatever bullet weight you were shooting, and dramatically decrease group sizes. A fake can that is tightly and rigidly mounted will not have too much affect on barrel harmonics. If it's loose though, it will begin acting as a dampener, and not an adjustable one either. Group size will likely open up as a result.

Cpl_Peters
04-11-2007, 7:34 AM

16" m4 will shoot accurate at 500m with plain iron sights

Prc329
04-11-2007, 7:48 AM

I have personally done 300 yards with that very setup. I am sure I could do better I just get a little wobble going on at over 300 yards (me not the rifle).

ARRRR-15
04-11-2007, 1:33 PM
One thing I noticed is it will reduce muzzle lift. It was minor but I did notice the rifle moving back more than up while firing, compared to having nothing on the threads. I wasn't shooting for accuacy that day, but just recently got a spotting scope and will be testing it soon. I'll zero without then take it off and see how off it is. Should be interesting.

SirMikeAlot
04-11-2007, 2:01 PM
Silicon boobs. Well, it is California...

Very true. I myself don't mind if they are real or fake, as long as they look good and I can touch them . . . :D

gn3hz3ku1*
04-11-2007, 2:15 PM
16" m4 will shoot accurate at 500m with plain iron sights

accurate on a 500m target... but isnt that the size of a person? from my limited time on a usmc range..