PDA

View Full Version : Converting an AK47 from RAW to Cal legal

jbush
03-12-2012, 12:29 AM
I don't want to get into a bunch of details, that were already discussed in the legal forum, but I have 2 AK47 RAWs and want to know if they can be converted to Cal Complaint guns I can pass on to my adult children. Both are listed guns in the appendixs (Maadi and Norinco).

Can I change the lower receivers and add bullet buttons or is there more to it then that?? Is it cost effective to do it? How much work is it? My son has some mechaning skills and could possibly do 80% receivers.

Please give straight advise and don't refer me to other forums to learn the AK platform, as I don't have time for that. Both these guns have pretty much been safe queens since purchased but my children would like to keep them in the family. And if necessary I will move them out of state, but would like to look at this option.

Mods, please move to the approperiate forum if necessary.

Thanks in advance

MrPlink
03-12-2012, 12:44 AM
pretty much you would be giving them parts kits as the receivers are listed by name.
You could destroy the receivers and then have the guns built up on new non-listed receivers, and follow the flow chart to make sure everything is legal (mag lock or featureless etc etc)

Bending an AK flat is one thing, actually assembling one is another. Its not like an AR.
At the very least I would recommend attending a build party, better yet hand them off to an experienced builder.

Honestly, being that you do not see Maadis or Norincos anymore, IF it is possible to transfer them out of state in a manner where your children will still have some access to them I would do that.

Otherwise at best they would get this:
http://whatacountry.com/images/products/detail/underfold.jpg

E Pluribus Unum
03-12-2012, 1:05 AM
I don't want to get into a bunch of details, that were already discussed in the legal forum, but I have 2 AK47 RAWs and want to know if they can be converted to Cal Complaint guns I can pass on to my adult children. Both are listed guns in the appendixs (Maadi and Norinco).

Can I change the lower receivers and add bullet buttons or is there more to it then that?? Is it cost effective to do it? How much work is it? My son has some mechaning skills and could possibly do 80% receivers.

Please give straight advise and don't refer me to other forums to learn the AK platform, as I don't have time for that. Both these guns have pretty much been safe queens since purchased but my children would like to keep them in the family. And if necessary I will move them out of state, but would like to look at this option.

Mods, please move to the approperiate forum if necessary.

Thanks in advance

Listed receivers cannot be willed.

You could get an off list receiver and transfer the parts, with a bullet button.... that's about it.

I would not destroy the receivers... even the receivers are RAW without the parts, so if in the future, you want to rebuild the guns back to functional, you can. Once they are sold or destroyed, there's never going back.

jbush
03-12-2012, 3:04 AM
I am assuming the build part is rather complicated. Anything we would need besides receivers and bullet buttons? It looks like most of the parts are riveted. My youngest son has a friend who I believe has built them before. I'm I getting into a big expensive can of worms?

I suggested I take them to my house in AZ. Sell them, then use the money toward a couple AR kits. They're stuck on the idea of wanting to keep the AKs.

baih777
03-12-2012, 3:46 AM
pretty much you would be giving them parts kits as the receivers are listed by name.
You could destroy the receivers and then have the guns built up on new non-listed receivers, and follow the flow chart to make sure everything is legal (mag lock or featureless etc etc)

Bending an AK flat is one thing, actually assembling one is another. Its not like an AR.
At the very least I would recommend attending a build party, better yet hand them off to an experienced builder.

Honestly, being that you do not see Maadis or Norincos anymore, IF it is possible to transfer them out of state in a manner where your children will still have some access to them I would do that.

Otherwise at best they would get this:
http://whatacountry.com/images/products/detail/underfold.jpg

+1 for the above
the only way to rebuild those is to attend a AK build party. add 6 (5 or 6)U.S. made parts.
i have a couple also. from my understanding they can not shoot those unless your present. and its best you have a copy of your RAW registration. i have been waiting 6 months now for mine.

tujungatoes
03-12-2012, 6:36 AM
The maadi Would be fairly easy to rebuild. The norinco could be done but would be more costly due to the receiver being something of a specialty item. If you end up going this route, contact Matt(turbothis) as he is making receivers for the norinco's and can rebuild that rifle for you if you don't want to tackle that yourself.

If they have great sentimental value to you/your children I could see re-building them. If you just want to make sure you've got 2 AK's to pass on you might consider selling them(intact) out of state and purchasing a couple new offlist rifles with that money.

Either way will work, but one will be much less labor intensive.

Barabas
03-12-2012, 7:16 AM
If they have great sentimental value to you/your children I could see re-building them. If you just want to make sure you've got 2 AK's to pass on you might consider selling them(intact) out of state and purchasing a couple new offlist rifles with that money.

Either way will work, but one will be much less labor intensive.

I came in here to post this.

I suggest selling them in AZ, since you have a residence there and using the cash from that transaction to buy two (or more) CA-legal AK's or kits. A safe queen can't have much sentimental value attached to it, but a rifle built up by a father and son from a kit would.

Some will argue that their RAW status makes them invaluable, but I would argue if you have no use (or love) for them, being RAW's makes them worthless.

coyotebait
03-12-2012, 7:23 AM
Why not just leave them at the house in Arizona? they can have them there and shoot them all they want.

chead
03-12-2012, 7:39 AM
Why not just leave them at the house in Arizona? they can have them there and shoot them all they want.
Or transfer them to a trustee out of state. Don't hack up that RAW :(

arslin
03-12-2012, 8:03 AM
topics like this is what makes me want to move out of state...

jbush
03-12-2012, 7:21 PM
Thanks everyone. I think the discision has been made to sell them in AZ or another state and use the money on a couple AR kits back here. That sounds like the best approach to me, and eliminates the inheritance issue, as I won't be around to shoot them anyway. Checked on pricing out of state and I should be able to get a good price for them in a free state. And even with my illness I can put together a couple nice ARs they can have from Dad. Thanks again for all the help.

zfields
03-12-2012, 7:24 PM
Sounds like the best plan Jbush.

I'd buy them a couple Aks though to replace the current ones, but thats just me : )

NYY
03-12-2012, 7:30 PM
yea man dont destroy those

I_Love_My_.38
03-12-2012, 7:32 PM
What does RAW mean?

Bigtwin
03-12-2012, 7:53 PM
What does RAW mean?

Registered Assault Weapon!

Prior to the AW (assault weapon) ban, you were allowed to keep your rifle as long as you registered it with the Gov't! Mind you non of which were true assault weapons, no full auto!

Just a bad play on ugly black rifles!

I_Love_My_.38
03-12-2012, 7:55 PM
Registered Assault Weapon

How obvious, thank you. Awesome OP dont destroy it.

brianm767
03-12-2012, 8:53 PM
Thanks everyone. I think the discision has been made to sell them in AZ or another state and use the money on a couple AR kits back here. That sounds like the best approach to me, and eliminates the inheritance issue, as I won't be around to shoot them anyway. Checked on pricing out of state and I should be able to get a good price for them in a free state. And even with my illness I can put together a couple nice ARs they can have from Dad. Thanks again for all the help.

I agree with this decision 100% it's what I would do.

jbush
03-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Owning RAWs in Cali makes you wonder where our rights have gone. Obviously since I won't be getting over my illness and would like to leave my kids a few things that we enjoyed together years ago has become difficult. Taking them to my AZ house eliminates the inheritance issue as they could each inherit one there, but then that limits them to only using them when in Az, or outside Cali. Rebuilding them becomes costly. Since they both live here, it would be better if they had something that was not restricted by where they could use it. After much discussion, selling them for something else just seems more logical. While my oldest son's would probably become a safe queen keepsake, my youngest would probably use his a lot. Makes more since.

E Pluribus Unum
03-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Owning RAWs in Cali makes you wonder where our rights have gone. Obviously since I won't be getting over my illness and would like to leave my kids a few things that we enjoyed together years ago has become difficult. Taking them to my AZ house eliminates the inheritance issue as they could each inherit one there, but then that limits them to only using them when in Az, or outside Cali. Rebuilding them becomes costly. Since they both live here, it would be better if they had something that was not restricted by where they could use it. After much discussion, selling them for something else just seems more logical. While my oldest son's would probably become a safe queen keepsake, my youngest would probably use his a lot. Makes more since.

I am sorry to hear about your illness. Please do not lose hope; there is a reason doctors "practice medicine". It's called "practice" because they don't have all of the answers. My grandma was diagnosed with "terminal cancer" and only had 1 year to live; that was 10 years ago. Doctors don't know everything my friend.

That being said, the last thing you should be worrying about right now is what happens to your weapons. I don't know where you live, but if you would allow me, I will make it my personal mission in life to help you prepare for what is eventually to come.

Calguns is famous for AK build parties, and you already have two really good parts kits. You could even invite your sons and make it a team effort; let them build their own receivers, and then transfer your parts over to them.

If you are interested, just PM me your location, and we (calguns) will make it happen for you.

jbush
03-13-2012, 6:49 AM
I am sorry to hear about your illness. Please do not lose hope; there is a reason doctors "practice medicine". It's called "practice" because they don't have all of the answers. My grandma was diagnosed with "terminal cancer" and only had 1 year to live; that was 10 years ago. Doctors don't know everything my friend.

That being said, the last thing you should be worrying about right now is what happens to your weapons. I don't know where you live, but if you would allow me, I will make it my personal mission in life to help you prepare for what is eventually to come.

Calguns is famous for AK build parties, and you already have two really good parts kits. You could even invite your sons and make it a team effort; let them build their own receivers, and then transfer your parts over to them.

If you are interested, just PM me your location, and we (calguns) will make it happen for you.

Thanks for the support. As I go through these first treatments, we'll find out how things go. This is my second round and there is that 20% chance things will go good. Just tryiing to get things in order with my kids just in case, and they have been very supportive. Just doing a day by day right now and these forums help keep my mind of stuff. Once again thanks.