PDA

View Full Version : Gatling guns legal?

RANGER295
04-10-2007, 8:42 PM
Does anyone know if gatling guns are CA legal? I have seen them sold at gun shows before and this letter http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter14.txt leads me to believe that they are ok with the feds.

Specifically what I thinking about is something a buddy and I have been thinking about making to use in some of our reenactments. What we had in mind was making using 12ga shotgun barrels. It would not feed, each barrel would be single shot. You would have to load them each and lock the breach. Then each barrel would fire one at a time as a normal gatling would as it is had cranked. We were thinking about making it 10 barrels. We would make sure that the over all length and the barrel length were ok. What do you guys think?

xenophobe
04-10-2007, 8:47 PM
Yes, gatling guns are legal. Hand cranks that operate traditional rifles and activate a trigger are not.

chiefcrash
04-11-2007, 6:53 AM
i can't see anything in the laws that would ban them. about the only thing that would concern me would be the ammo feeding:

IIRC, there are actually a couple different types of gattling guns. The model of 1881 was designed to use the "bruce" style feed system that accepted two rows of cartridges. other designs utilized a hopper...

so the question becomes: is there a high-capacity magazine issue here?

RANGER295
04-11-2007, 9:16 AM
Thanks guys. These were pretty much the conclusions that I came to. For my plan there would be no ammo feeding or hi-cap issues because there would only be 10 barrels and they would each be single shot only. The primary objective here is to get a few quick blank shots off in a hokey reenactment skit and make a bunch of smoke and noise for the crowd. Though it would be cool to put live rounds in it at a friends private range and decimate a target for the wow factor. Ten 12ga shells at a full-auto rate of fire would really chew up whatever was in front as long as you could keep it on target.