PDA

View Full Version : Kali gun laws in 5 years

Cato
04-10-2007, 8:19 PM
What are your predictions for the state of 2A rights in California in the next 5 years?

Mr. Mildot
04-10-2007, 8:23 PM
Piss poor.

1911_Mitch
04-10-2007, 8:25 PM
Don't give them any ideas.

Any more laws they enact will only further restrict law-abiding citizens.

kap
04-10-2007, 8:29 PM
There will be none. The world will have gone to hell in a hand basket and all the ammo whore SHTF guys will finally get a chance to use their ammo.

kilword
04-10-2007, 8:38 PM
All your base are belong to us!

AJAX22
04-10-2007, 8:39 PM
we'll finally have a definitive ruling on the legality of ar/ak based pistols

hoffmang
04-10-2007, 8:39 PM
I expect that we will see very little change up until son of Parker and after that we'll see quite a liberalization of the laws at around the 5 year mark.

-Gene

bwiese
04-10-2007, 10:02 PM
I agree with Gene in general. Parker is not the miracle anticancer drug, it's the all around general broad-spectrum antibiotic.

We will have fights on our hands on very specialized ammo matters. The Bradys are saying internally that ammo legislation is to this decade what AW bans were to last decade.

This environmental stuff will keep popping up, and we'll have to keep fighting it. CRPA may continue to bend to large retailers who'd like not to compete against milsurp ammo.

However, some missteps may happen that are favorable to us: if ammo control happens, and they propose instant check, there's a good chance this completely removes the rationale for 10 day waiting period for firearms purchases/transfers - especially for those already owning firearms. Migden's proof-of-ownership card bill seems like it'd be very useful since it shows that a firearm was actually delivered/in ownership and in such a case would not make you have to show an existing firearm to a dealer to get a new one without a waiting period.

hoffmang
04-10-2007, 10:17 PM
The problem that much of the anti-ammo laws will hit is that unlike firearms, the dormant commerce clause is active on the interstate sale of ammo. The supposed environmental issues are something we need to keep an eye on however.

Note that Parker infers pretty directly that ammo ownership is protected under the second amendment as well. That will be useful in the future, but not now.

-Gene

bwiese
04-10-2007, 10:23 PM
The supposed environmental issues are something we need to keep an eye on however.

Yep, I believe Bradys/LCAV have reached out and created a section of EWG ("Environmental Working Group") dealing with purported ammo-related lead issues.

M. Sage
04-10-2007, 10:38 PM
I have to be optimistic on the 5-year plan... I think my wife is going to get a job in this state... :(

If we keep working hard, and keep working TOGHETHER, we'll win our rights back.

In case of SHTF, though, I'll make sure to share my SHTF ammo with my CalGuns brothers and sisters, even though you should plan ahead for yourselves. :p Just be careful and make sure I know you're a CalGunner. :eek:

kap
04-10-2007, 11:29 PM
I have to be optimistic on the 5-year plan... I think my wife is going to get a job in this state... :(

If we keep working hard, and keep working TOGHETHER, we'll win our rights back.

In case of SHTF, though, I'll make sure to share my SHTF ammo with my CalGuns brothers and sisters, even though you should plan ahead for yourselves. :p Just be careful and make sure I know you're a CalGunner. :eek:

I will be sure to flash my U15 at the door. :D

I hope all of the optimism you guys express comes true.

1911su16b870
04-11-2007, 6:56 AM
I also hope the optimism expressed by you guys comes true.

+1 gazillion to the folks on this board who are respectfully challenging the system and educating folks about the real issues.

It seems that our legislators keep killing the RKBA by 1000 cuts...laws, laws, laws with no remotely measureable effect on crime/criminals which is afterall why they keep proposing and passing in-effective laws.

If any legislators read this post:
1. enact shall issue CCW laws - this will lower violent crime in urban areas of CA.
2. stop turning law abiding citizens into criminals by deleting/ammending the confusing firearm/AW laws on the books.
3. treat firearms as a valuable buisness and offer the manufacturers/dealers etc. the buisness climate to succeed in CA (CA has the most firearms of all other states, which is remarkable because the laws are so confusing)

tetris
04-11-2007, 7:22 AM
If you want to know what CA gun laws will be like in 10 years, just look to Massachusettes:

(1) Mandatory 5-year licensing for the possession of ammo or guns
(2) Police "may issue" licenses for handguns (effectively a handgun ban)
(3) loss/theft reporting
(4) Mandatory "safe storage" requirements
(5) No internet ammo sales (high prices)
(6) Attorney general using approval list to ban guns and drive up prices
(7) Expansion of the assault weapons ban (no OLLs, no mini-14, etc..)
(8) Illegal for minors to go into a gun store

Basically every liberal cause that has been championed since 1968.

If any of you get really anxious you could always pack your bags and move ;)

Bill_in_SD
04-11-2007, 7:36 AM
There will be none. The world will have gone to hell in a hand basket and all the ammo whore SHTF guys will finally get a chance to use their ammo.

While I think the SWHTF, it won't be global in scope for California. Southern California will be fighting a battle over property rights, fighting annexation by a neighboring country. Northern California, after repelling the mass migration north, will adopt less restrictive gun laws. After things settle, and the North gets comfortable, they will go back to the old rules and then some. The pendulum swings both ways.

So the question for us down south will be - whose laws will apply?

Bill in SD

tman
04-11-2007, 7:47 AM
If you want to know what CA gun laws will be like in 10 years, just look to Massachusettes:

(3) loss/theft reporting

That's horrible.

To think, New Hampshire is right next door!

BLKTALN
04-11-2007, 8:35 AM
If you want to know what CA gun laws will be like in 10 years, just look to Massachusetts:

(3) loss/theft reporting

wow didn't know about Massachusetts... but somehow I can imagine that will be the direction for cal....

bikertrash2006
04-11-2007, 8:41 AM
Well, let's see...

California is the NO FUN state...

hoffmang
04-11-2007, 8:53 AM
Parker and son of Parker are going to make this point in time the high water mark for gun control.

What may be funny is this:
Safe storage laws for your select fire M4 SBR.

-Gene

bwiese
04-11-2007, 9:10 AM
Parker and son of Parker are going to make this point in time the high water mark for gun control.

What may be funny is this:
Safe storage laws for your select fire M4 SBR.

Which would encompass a CHP-style locking rack for my F150! :)

hoffmang
04-11-2007, 9:24 AM
Exactly :D

-Gene

zeek1974
04-11-2007, 11:08 AM
I predict a ten day waiting period for all Air Soft guns. Also, you will need to have a background check done in order to be given plastic bags at the grocery stores instead of paper and last but not least, it will become a felony to have in your possession goose liver(this is laready banned in a few large cities in the US). Not all gun related but considering CA politics, not too far from reality. If the state continues to pass laws that are at the very least semi-retarded then maybe more poeple will see our point (we being gun owners)

grammaton76
04-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Since it's a well known scientific fact that Israeli chicks are hot, mostly because they get to carry around weapons... does this mean that after the next 5 years, California chicks are likely to get significantly hotter due to the availability of select fire toys? *snicker*