PDA

View Full Version : Hello, and evil bad weapons

oceanwest
04-10-2007, 6:59 PM
First just want to say hello as this is my first post. I have not done much of anything with my guns for many moons, and have lost touch with what is going on, but have some free time again and with it some questions.

My main question is: if I have a registered evil assault weapon with the state of California can I go ahead and make it more evil? Can I add a folding stock to my HK91 clone, for example?

Since the federal ban has expired couldn't I make changes like adding a folding stock if I didn't live in California? Is there anything in the California law stopping it since its already registered as an assault weapon?

I have searched through a fair amount of posts but most have to do with getting a gun that does not fall under the ban, I didn't see much dealing with guns already caught in the net and registered.

Thanks for your help!

blkA4alb
04-10-2007, 7:02 PM
If it's already a registered AW you can't make it any more of an "AW." Go for it as long you obey the federal laws.

JPglee1
04-10-2007, 7:09 PM
First just want to say hello as this is my first post. I have not done much of anything with my guns for many moons, and have lost touch with what is going on, but have some free time again and with it some questions.

My main question is: if I have a registered evil assault weapon with the state of California can I go ahead and make it more evil? Can I add a folding stock to my HK91 clone, for example?

Since the federal ban has expired couldn't I make changes like adding a folding stock if I didn't live in California? Is there anything in the California law stopping it since its already registered as an assault weapon?

I have searched through a fair amount of posts but most have to do with getting a gun that does not fall under the ban, I didn't see much dealing with guns already caught in the net and registered.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to Calguns!

If your gun is already a registered AW then YES you can go "more evil" as long as it stays within the confines of the FEDERAL firearm guidelines:

26" Overall Length
16" (or 18" for shotgun) barrel
Correct # of US made parts (per 18USC 922R)

Good luck and stick around!

J

bwiese
04-10-2007, 7:15 PM
My main question is: if I have a registered evil assault weapon with the state of California can I go ahead and make it more evil?

Generally, yes. Don't go below 26" long, under 16" barrel length, and don't add a grenade launcher (or other NFA stuff like full auto, sound suppressor.)

Can I add a folding stock to my HK91 clone, for example?

Sure.

Actually, HK91 type rifles usu use a "telescoping" stock ("HK91-A3"), but folding, telescoping and thumbhole stocks are legally equivalent in that they are AW 'characteristic features'.

Since the federal ban has expired couldn't I make changes like adding a folding stock if I didn't live in California?

Yep, and even if you live within CA with a reg'd AW.

Is there anything in the California law stopping it since its already registered as an assault weapon?

Nope. There are no degrees, tiers or levels of registered AW status. It's either a registered AW, or not. Period.

Go have a ball and modify away.

JPglee1
04-10-2007, 7:22 PM
Actually, HK91 type rifles usu use a "telescoping" stock ("HK91-A3"), but folding, telescoping and thumbhole stocks are legally equivalent in that they are AW 'characteristic features'.

Well.. not always ;)

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/admin/images/content/ptr91r.jpg
http://www.stonycreekarmory.com/store/catalog/images/HK91-Folder-500.jpg

Im just messing with you... I know you mean, original equipment.. but there ARE folders available for just about anything...

J

oceanwest
04-10-2007, 7:33 PM
Thanks for the welcome, and your help everyone!

So basically the only thing to worry about (grenade launchers aside:D ) is the imported parts count, as that is still a federal problem? So can I put a HK91-A3 telescoping stock and HK pistol grip on the gun since they are both imported?

About ten years ago I wrote to the BATF about modifying the gun and was told I could make it an exact replica of a PSG-1 with a target grip and MSG-90 stock. I guess those "good Ol Days" are gone:)

Its an early springfield SAR-8, built in Greece with a steel reciever, and "sporter" stock.

bwiese
04-10-2007, 7:52 PM
Thanks for the welcome, and your help everyone!

So basically the only thing to worry about (grenade launchers aside:D ) is the imported parts count, as that is still a federal problem? So can I put a HK91-A3 telescoping stock and HK pistol grip on the gun since they are both imported?

Its an early springfield SAR-8, built in Greece with a steel reciever, and "sporter" stock.

Ah you mean a thumbhole stock. And I guess you don't have a real HK91

Yes, you will have to think about 922(r) compliance. Put US parts on - I believe JLD makes a bunch of US-mfgd HK parts domestically now for their JLD91.

oceanwest
04-10-2007, 8:23 PM
No not made in Germany:( but at least made under license to HK in Greece to the exact same specifications, well except that darn thumbhole stock. Not collectable but a fantastic shooter, and very solid.

How is JLD for quality? Since the stock has the buffer I ask...

bwiese
04-10-2007, 9:53 PM
How is JLD for quality? Since the stock has the buffer I ask...

JLD bought the whole tooling suite from FMP (Portugal). These are licensed HK91s - kinda like what Steyr or Imbel is to FN FALs.

If you get a stock I'm sure it'll be perfect.

shonc99
04-11-2007, 7:09 AM
JLD is by far the leader in HK91 parts. Their "clones" are second to none and are basically unlicensed copies. When looking at the US parts count they are a great source.

MotoGuy
04-11-2007, 10:02 AM
About ten years ago I wrote to the BATF about modifying the gun and was told I could make it an exact replica of a PSG-1 with a target grip and MSG-90 stock. I guess those "good Ol Days" are gone:)

If you wrote the BATF today, they would say the same thing, now that the Federal Assult Weapons Ban expired.

FMJBT
04-11-2007, 11:10 AM
You might find these interesting if building a PSG-1 clone:
http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=70_88_115

The website says these are preproduction, but there are several people on the HK boards who have purchased them. JLD currently uses this stock for their MSG-91 Perimiter Rifle:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=69429911

oceanwest
04-12-2007, 6:32 PM
If you wrote the BATF today, they would say the same thing, now that the Federal Assult Weapons Ban expired.

Really?! However I have nothing to worry about as long as I make changes with US made parts?

bwiese
04-12-2007, 6:36 PM
Really?! However I have nothing to worry ab out as long as I make changes with US made parts?

Correct. There is no Federal AW ban anymore, and this is a CA reg'd AW, so folding/telescoping stock issues are moot.

The only issues are domestic vs foreign parts, and a JLD "-A3" stock is US mfgd.

oceanwest
04-12-2007, 6:39 PM
You might find these interesting if building a PSG-1 clone:
http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=70_88_115

The website says these are preproduction, but there are several people on the HK boards who have purchased them. JLD currently uses this stock for their MSG-91 Perimiter Rifle:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=69429911

Thanks for the link, it is something I will keep in mind. What I would like to do first is get a U.S. made hand grip and collapsible stock. then I might want to make a configuration similar to the PSG-1.

Originally, making a PSG-1 or MSG-90 clone was what I wanted to do, to get rid of the thumbhole stock, but now I have (an also registered) Armalite AR-10(T) that is very accurate and I really like shooting it, so I want to make the HK clone into something else entirely.

oceanwest
04-12-2007, 6:52 PM
Correct. There is no Federal AW ban anymore, and this is a CA reg'd AW, so folding/telescoping stock issues are moot.

The only issues are domestic vs foreign parts, and a JLD "-A3" stock is US mfgd.

Thanks! Well it looks like I'll be making some purchases from JLD just as soon as I can figure out how;)

Their website does not have an order system for parts. I'll give em a call tomorrow...