PDA

View Full Version : allright I've tried searching many times

tmuller
04-10-2007, 7:41 PM
I can not find...with my admittedly limited time...whether or not I have to register my guns bought in AZ, where I currently live, in CA when I move this weekend. Do I have to register them at all?..if so where in SD county, do they have to be registered b4 I come to CA? More or less...can I bring my .41 mag and my HK USP .40 auto chucker and register them when I get there or not? Any help would be greatly appreciated...again I tried tyhe search to no avail...maybe wrong key words...thanks again!!

Shane916
04-10-2007, 7:44 PM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991.php?PHPSESSID=85a9788827c867e632733596a6d251 31

Rem1492
04-10-2007, 7:57 PM
thanks shane

Shane916
04-10-2007, 7:58 PM
Not a problem :)

fairfaxjim
04-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Also, be sure to note that, although in the shotguns and rifles section, the following also applies to handguns:
Additionally, machine guns and ammunition feeding devices with the capacity to accept greater that 10 rounds may not be transported into California.
Large capacity (over 10 rounds) magazines cannot be brought into Kalifornia without a special permit. Unless you are a licensed dealer with a demonstable market for them, forget about a permit.

Wulf
04-11-2007, 7:11 AM
Also, be sure to note that, although in the shotguns and rifles section, the following also applies to handguns:
Additionally, machine guns and ammunition feeding devices with the capacity to accept greater that 10 rounds may not be transported into California.
Large capacity (over 10 rounds) magazines cannot be brought into Kalifornia without a special permit. Unless you are a licensed dealer with a demonstable market for them, forget about a permit.

That doesn't tell the whole story though. The way the law is written you have to had "possessed them in the state" prior to the implementation of the law in 2000. There's no implication in the law that you had to have been a resident of the state, or have or keep any sort of documentation that you "possessed" the mags in the state prior to the implementation of the law, or that you maintained continuous possession of the mags in the state since 2000. The way *I* read the law, a Soldier that had a backpack full of M-14 mags with him when when he flew home from Vietnam in 1960 something and fueld up at Travis AFB, or a guy that went on a road trip that crossed the Ca. border in 1999 and brought his Glock 17 w/highcaps with him, could bring those high caps with him today if he moved or visited again. Also, with the portion of the law that allows you do replaced any damaged parts of the magazine with post-2000 parts, the possession of a mag with post-2000 parts is not conclusive evidence of an illegal mag. Study carefully the relevant portion of the law and let your conscious be your guide.

M. Sage
04-11-2007, 7:16 AM
+1 to the above post.

There are so many grays in the law about magazines, it's not even funny. Horribly-written law, and not just for the killjoy factor.

tmuller
04-11-2007, 10:03 AM
I am not even going to risk it with my 15rnd mags for G19...sold it. Great 60 days to submit paperwork on my hand guns...and I don't need to mention long guns I own just don't bring in anything illegal. You guys have been a big help...another gun owner back in CA!!

Wulf
06-24-2007, 8:39 AM
ok, so posession of a pre ban high cap isnt illegal, nor is fixing one with post ban parts. but what about using it? for example hypothetically, lets say a guy goes to a gunshow in 1999, buys a bunch of beretta hi caps and keeps them stored away for 10 years. then some time passes, and he decides he wants a beretta that uses the same mags. is it ok to use these 10+ round mags in his newer gun?

There's nothing in the law that requires you own a gun for the pre2000 high-caps. If you owned them pre2000 they're yours. Store them, used them in a gun you had then, use them in a gun you buy tomorrow, use them in a friends gun, use them for a pez dispenser. Lots of people stocked up pre2000 with mags they didnt own guns for on speculation.

bwiese
06-24-2007, 12:23 PM
ok, so posession of a pre ban high cap isnt illegal, nor is fixing one with post ban parts. but what about using it? for example hypothetically, lets say a guy goes to a gunshow in 1999, buys a bunch of beretta hi caps and keeps them stored away for 10 years. then some time passes, and he decides he wants a beretta that uses the same mags. is it ok to use these 10+ round mags in his newer gun?

Absolutely.

I've bought hicap mags back in 1999 for guns I didn't even own yet.

There's no ban on guns taking hicap detachable mags (provided they aren't AWs). There's no ban on use of existing lawfully-owned hicap mags.

You just can't buy, sell or import hicap mags in CA to other regular Joes.

bwiese
06-24-2007, 12:44 PM
I can not find...with my admittedly limited time...whether or not I have to register my guns bought in AZ, where I currently live, in CA when I move this weekend. Do I have to register them at all?..

You have 60 days from move-in to register your handguns, as you are a "Personal Handgun Importer"). It costs $19/gun (last time I checked).

There is a special exemption codified in the law so that if you are late filing this paperwork the late filing will not get you in trouble.

if so where in SD county, do they have to be registered b4 I come to

County is irrelevant. Again you have 60 days from beginning residency to file reg papers.

More or less...can I bring my .41 mag and my HK USP .40 auto chucker and register them when I get there or not?

Assuming your 41mag is a revolver. Bring it in - "Get it done with a .41!"

Your HK USP40 is also entirely legal to bring in - as long as you don't have a theaded bbl. Also, don't bring in hicap mags - you had to be here and possess hicaps on/before 12/31/1999 for you to re-bring them back in again (which I gather is highly unlikely from your situation). Leave your hicaps in AZ and get 10 rounders for CA.

hoffmang
06-24-2007, 2:54 PM
Absolutely.
You just can't sell or import hicap mags in CA to other regular Joes. The law is silent on buying.

We need to be sticklers about this. I fixed it for you.

-Gene

Wulf
06-24-2007, 3:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese http://calguns.net/calgunforum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=655042#post655042)
Absolutely.
You just can't sell or import hicap mags in CA to other regular Joes. The law is silent on buying.
We need to be sticklers about this. I fixed it for you.

-Gene

So, theoretically, if a package full of high caps showed up on your door step, with no invoice and no return address, there would be no one to prosecute for a crime absent some CSI trickery? And if the package came from out of state, would there even be a jurisdiction to prosecute?

hoffmang
06-24-2007, 3:14 PM
It is not very clear who the State would consider "imported" in your hypothetical.

-Gene