PDA

View Full Version : DOJ Berthold retiring

bthom
03-11-2012, 10:59 AM
DOJ Field Rep Bob Berthold is retiring soon. Not good news. According to dealers I know, Bob has always been professional and non intimating to work with. His approach to inspections is pro dealer and treats his dealer visits as a learning, training session. However, due to increasing medical, health problems, he wants to retire so he still has time and strength for his outdoor recreational interests. His doctors are encouraging him to retire. Plus, he has also grown very tired of listening to the complaints and anger over gun laws when the general public calls in. But, he says he is the messenger and everyone shoots the messenger.

halifax
03-11-2012, 12:16 PM
DOJ Field Rep Bob Berthold is retiring soon. Not good news. According to dealers I know, Bob has always been professional and non intimating to work with. His approach to inspections is pro dealer and treats his dealer visits as a learning, training session. However, due to increasing medical, health problems, he wants to retire so he still has time and strength for his outdoor recreational interests. His doctors are encouraging him to retire. Plus, he has also grown very tired of listening to the complaints and anger over gun laws when the general public calls in. But, he says he is the messenger and everyone shoots the messenger.

Too bad another one of the reasonable people is leaving. Bob is (was) my inspector. He will be missed.

Happy Retirement Bob.

Oh and welcome bthom. Interesting first post.

dirtyJ
03-11-2012, 12:20 PM
First audit I went through was with him. Definitely not what I was expecting after hearing horror stories. He definitely wasn't 100% pro guns in CA, from what I could see he had the "I've got mine so I don't care anymore" attitude, but he was absolutely professional and a good instructor for new dealers. Not looking forward to an inspector who's not Berthold or McKinnion :(.

bthom
03-11-2012, 2:03 PM

I should point out that I got this info when I happened to share some brief shooting time with Bob when he was out shooting with some police officers in the Colfax area. There was no indepth discussion, just some passing comments. He didn't recognize me as a dealer. Other family members of mine that are major dealers in the southern CA tell me Bob really enjoys working with the dealers. He has fun with his co-workers. Even likes his boss,.."one of the few intelligent state persons I,ve had as a boss". So what type of background do they look for when replacing reps?

tenpercentfirearms
03-12-2012, 7:10 AM
Bob was my auditor and I talk to him on the phone now and then. He has always been helpful and pleasant.

Santa Cruz Armory
03-12-2012, 7:22 AM
Bob was my auditor and I talk to him on the phone now and then. He has always been helpful and pleasant.

Dittto. He's always been knowledgeable and helpful when I have called. One thing he does that I really appreciate.....he returns phone calls! :)

curvejunkie
03-12-2012, 8:41 AM
Dang. He just did our audit as well. Really nice guy and helpful.

franklinarmory
03-12-2012, 9:42 AM
Yeah, Bob has been planning on retiring since before Dana left. Both men are fair and honest power brokers. Bob never tried to coerce us to follow DOJ propaganda "opinions," and he was always willing to speak the truth. I respect him for that.

I sincerely hope that the DOJ will replace him with someone that has just as much integrity and is not just some Brady apparatchik.

Take care Bob.....