PDA

View Full Version : Why are O/U's so @$#% expensive!?!?!

supergimp
04-10-2007, 4:15 PM
I've been shooting trap now on a semi regular basis for two and a half years now. I usually use my benelli SuperSport which I love. Recently I've been wanting to purchase another 12ga to both add to my collection and have for friends that want to go along. To that end, i've been looking all over for a decent deal on a new or used O/U.

Is there something besides the cache of an O/U that makes it so much more expensive than a semi-auto? I never seem to see used ones for sale (unless someone at the range is selling their $6000 Perazzi for a $7000 one). And there don't seem to be many mid-line O/U's on the market.

An O/U doesn't seem that mechanically difficult to me, and besides the fancy extras (wood choice, engraving, etc) I don't understand why there just aren't many decent choices for someone with, say $1.5k, to spend.

Also, besides personal fit, it seems hard to really differentiate many of the models out there. Sure, there are some beautiful guns that make tyou drool just to know they exist, but in the mainstream benelli, Beretta, Browning, etc lines, I my head spins just trying to tell them apart.

Anyone have any insight into this? Or comments? or especially suggestions as to what you like, what to look for, etc without taking out a second mortgage?

Cheers,

Steve

JPN6336
04-10-2007, 4:22 PM
I have no idea about their quality but Big 5 usually sells Mossberg and Remington O/Us for around $500. The O/Us may be more expensive because they're not mainstream. Most people want pumps and semi-autos. It seems to me that the majority of the people who want O/Us are more serious shooters who want nicer guns and are willing to spend more for them.

Forestboy
04-10-2007, 4:40 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=69711866

There is a Browning Citori with 30" BBLS and adjustable comb. Just what you need. Buy now price of $1150.

Go to skeet and trap clubs and look on the bulletin boards(The cork ones.), you will find a deal. Old guys getting out of the sport for whatever reason. Or guys selling that 12 they never use because they only shoot the 20 anymore due to recoil. Look around.

luvtolean
04-10-2007, 5:09 PM
Go handle a high end O/U. Work the action. They're much more finely machined and crafted than your average 870.

-hanko
04-10-2007, 5:47 PM
A good $1-3K o/u will be lighter and shorter than a pump or auto with the same barrel length. Inside, the mechanism will be hand fitted and adjustable for wear over time. Closest analogy might be between a 10 year old beater pickup and a new MBZ...both definitely do what they need to do, one is a lot smoother & easier to drive (although a lot pricier).

Main thing, you'll mount the gun & it will act as an extension of your arm...difficult to understand until you shoot one for a while. Whatever you do, have the o/u fitted to you by a smith who knows what he's doing.

The Mossberg/Remington o/u's are made, I think, in Turkey...you probably won't have the fit/finish/feel of a more expensive gun, but it might be a starting point. Next time you go to the range, see if you might borrow one for a round or two.;)

A Citori, Onyx, or Silver Pigeon might be a good starting point.

Let us know what you get.

-hanko

grammaton76
04-10-2007, 6:52 PM
Century has a lot of cheap side-by-sides, and I think over/unders now. Some foreign shotgun factory they recently got a deal with, I think...

AJAX22
04-10-2007, 7:20 PM
kahr arms makes a cheap beater IIRC, I think they are the turkish company that everyone else is stampin there name on nowadays.

they're supposed to be good reliable, durable guns.

Sydwaiz
04-10-2007, 7:31 PM
An O/U doesn't seem that mechanically difficult to me,

Look again. When you close an O/U, especially a quality one, you'll notice the two halves become one piece with no rattle, slop, or looseness of any kind. Can you say that about a pump or semi?

At the minimum, start with a Citori field grade. It will last you a lifetime and probably more.

damon1272
04-10-2007, 8:20 PM
For a decent trap gun look to spend 1000-1500 dollars. The difference is in the fit and finish, the handling, and balance. Most good trap guns have ported barrels. A good buy that you can find every once in a while for trap is a browning BT-99. Great gun. I went trap shooting this weekend with my 1100 ans my Browning Citori. Shot 20 & 21 with the 1100, 24's with the Browning. The fit and the wieght is that big of a difference. I have seen guys just kill it with an 1100 or 870 wingmaster but for mere mortals the better guns make a difference.

maxicon
04-10-2007, 8:31 PM
A lot of what makes them more expensive is what you don't see (though the nice wood, fine fitting, and quality finish contribute a lot on the good ones).

They look simple on the outside, but there's a mechanism on the inside that does all the work of switching the trigger to the next barrel.

There's a FAQ on it over at shotgunworld.com:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=5295

supergimp
04-10-2007, 8:42 PM
Thanks guys, good points.

I was thinking about the Citori. Good to hear confirmation. The market is just so overwhelming. I'm willing to pay a little $$, I'm not looking for a cheapie - but a good value.

Also good point about the O/U shooter. Not many show up used here on Calguns. My best bet is to keep an eye on the BB at the range. I shoot at Oak Tree and there are a lot of for sale guns - most still well out of my price. But I'm going to keep an eye out for a Citori or similar.

mike100
04-11-2007, 7:06 AM
1) you won't find a lot of trap guns on the rack at discount gun stores... the rib angle is different and other features like auto ejectors and trigger pull can be different. limited production run, costs more.

2) it's a prestige factor thing. The three guys I know who have $15k Perazzis show up to the range in ****box trucks. but they are pimp'n on the trap pad.

Ubergeek
04-11-2007, 9:06 AM
kahr arms makes a cheap beater IIRC, I think they are the turkish company that everyone else is stampin there name on nowadays.

they're supposed to be good reliable, durable guns.

Khan Shotguns:

http://www.khanshotguns.com/

From what I know, they're reasonbly well made. I shudder to imagine what the internals look like.

edbon9
04-11-2007, 9:54 AM
I'd recommend that you try out the guns on your list BEFORE you buy. the brownings are great guns but some people shoot the beretta's better,etc,etc. If you go to oak tree I am sure someone would let you shoot their guns to see how they feel to you. I made the mistake of buying a browning XT combo and while I shot decent scores with it, it wasn't for me, too front heavy. I was shooting a gamba single barrel which is a lot lighter than the browning, then I lucked into a perazzi combo which was more like the gamba, and your scores will go down once you switch guns, it took me 3 months to get back my avg back up on the perazzi.

edgar

HillBilly
04-11-2007, 12:51 PM
I bought a Fabarm when they were HK distro on a whim one day from Turners. It is an STL Sport or something like that. I think I paid around 1500.00 OTD, but I have no idea if it was worth it, if I got ripped off, or if a fabarm is any good.

I sort of just chalk it up to "do the research next time". Next time, I would buy a browning, if only because I like browning.

xenophobe
04-11-2007, 3:28 PM
You can find nice used Browning Citori's or lightnings for under $1000. New ones are in the $1700-$2400 price range. You might have to look around a while and search for a deal.

Also, the Franchi Light Field models are well priced and decent guns. Also look at the Beretta 686s. You can find both those for around the $1000-1200 price range used.

Avoid the cheap Russian (Remington Spartan, Baikal), Chinese and Turkish guns. Fit is rather tight, and quality is rather low. There are some nice Turkish o/u's but expect to pay a couple grand.

damon1272
04-11-2007, 6:05 PM
I bought a Fabarm when they were HK distro on a whim one day from Turners. It is an STL Sport or something like that. I think I paid around 1500.00 OTD, but I have no idea if it was worth it, if I got ripped off, or if a fabarm is any good.

I sort of just chalk it up to "do the research next time". Next time, I would buy a browning, if only because I like browning.

Believe me you did not get ripped off. Fabarms are a great gun. I have a gold lion and what a great gun. I have seen some of thier higher end break opens and they rival anything from Beretta.

mxpatriot51
04-11-2007, 7:41 PM
I bought the Mossberg O/U to use as a field gun. Turns out I like it so much it's being treated as if it were any other O/U. The fit and finish on mine is excellent. The action is smooth, it points well, it fits me well, and it hasn't had any problems whatsoever in at least 5,000 rounds.

It doesn't have auto ejectors, but I actually prefer that it doesn't. That way I don't have to catch/pick up the empties at the range.

mxpatriot51
04-11-2007, 7:42 PM
Thanks guys, good points.

I was thinking about the Citori. Good to hear confirmation. The market is just so overwhelming. I'm willing to pay a little $$, I'm not looking for a cheapie - but a good value.

Also good point about the O/U shooter. Not many show up used here on Calguns. My best bet is to keep an eye on the BB at the range. I shoot at Oak Tree and there are a lot of for sale guns - most still well out of my price. But I'm going to keep an eye out for a Citori or similar.

Oak Tree rents all sorts of shotguns. Go and try the models you like, see how the fit you. Fit with a shotgun is very important as you know. It's much easier to find something that fits you than to make a gun fit you. Look for something with an adjustable comb; that really helps with the fit.

Sydwaiz
04-11-2007, 7:53 PM
Check out Ruger red labels too. Nice.

supergimp
04-11-2007, 8:32 PM
Oak Tree rents all sorts of shotguns. Go and try the models you like, see how the fit you. Fit with a shotgun is very important as you know. It's much easier to find something that fits you than to make a gun fit you. Look for something with an adjustable comb; that really helps with the fit.

Yea, unfortunately their selection of rental O/U has grown thin. I know the staff well enough that they keep an eye out for me, but they do enough business in the nice stuff that I rarely see real bargains in O/U there.

They have a huge selection to drool over though, and a great staff and a great pro shop (props to Oak Tree). I'm still keeping my eyes open and appreciate all the feedback here.

Moonclip
04-11-2007, 9:34 PM
I have a Century arms Chinese O/U I bought anib for $135! So yes they can be made inexpensively and yes the gun works! No steel shot though and fixed chokes.

Rob454
04-12-2007, 2:26 PM
I have a mossberg silver reserve and its a great gun. I got it for 360$ at big 5. they had a big sale at the time and I couldnt pass it up. its a great gun. need a little more opening and closing to smooth it out more but overall Im happy with the purchase. Yeah its not the high end but I tend to use my guns for hunting and I go through brush and climb up pretty steep hills

Rob