PDA

View Full Version : Larue PredatAR or SCAR 16s? Which one and why?

animossity
03-11-2012, 1:07 AM
If you were going to buy a premium complete Rifle which would it be and why?

Larue PredatAR
http://therightsideofaustin.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/larue-tactical-predatar-obr-5-56.jpeg?w=500&h=375

SCAR 16
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/FN%20SCAR/SCAR16S-16.jpg

TheHammerOfTruth
03-11-2012, 7:57 AM
Anything but a LaRue. Until that company changes their stance on shipping complete rifles, lower receivers, uppers and parts to CA directly, I will continue to "not" support them. And dont whine to me about how much money he has donated to CalGuns. It doesnt make him a supporter of CA or a good businessman. As much as people whine on this forum about this and that Im suprised there arent a bunch of I hate LaRue threads. It just prooves that people practice "selective *****ing". If LaRue has changed their stance on shipping to CA please let me know, I would hate to be negative about their company when it is unjustified.

pyro3k2
03-11-2012, 8:29 AM
when things break on you Laure rifle you can get replacement parts very easily. When things break on your SCAR 16 it is going to take a while to get it fixed. Also the Larue rifle is much cheaper and with the money you save you can get an optic some extra mags and ammo.

Harley
03-11-2012, 8:35 AM
Anything but a LaRue. Until that company changes their stance on shipping complete rifles, lower receivers, uppers and parts to CA directly, I will continue to "not" support them. And dont whine to me about how much money he has donated to CalGuns. It doesnt make him a supporter of CA or a good businessman. As much as people whine on this forum about this and that Im suprised there arent a bunch of I hate LaRue threads. It just prooves that people practice "selective *****ing". If LaRue has changed their stance on shipping to CA please let me know, I would hate to be negative about their company when it is unjustified.
Yes they have changed their stance. Thank u for your rant.

To answer the OP question.

Larue PredatAR hands down.

LovingTheYear1911
03-11-2012, 8:44 AM
Scar. To me the Larue is a glorified AR. To me it's just another AR.

SURVIVOR619
03-11-2012, 8:46 AM
I'd go predatar! Wow bro you are going to be stoked!!! Let us know what you get outta jail!!

ultra01
03-11-2012, 8:47 AM
Larue all the way!

Boltz
03-11-2012, 8:50 AM
I voted Scar purely based on aesthetic reasons; the predatAR looks like another AR and I like the space boot look :P

TheHammerOfTruth
03-11-2012, 8:54 AM

When and how? Please elaborate. It would be nice to know.

gotshotgun?
03-11-2012, 9:01 AM
There is a $1000 difference between those two rifles.

That's HUGE!

I'd go with the LaRue and spend the extra money on an ACOG.

cwin
03-11-2012, 9:23 AM
+1 for LaRue.

Long Rifle
03-11-2012, 9:32 AM

Wow. You need to get out more. Larue has been shipping to Cal for at least the past year. In fact, several stores are stocking Larue dealers.

http://www.laruetactical.com/18”-larue-tactical-predatar-762

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for their policy on Ban states. I have a 7.62 PredatOBR on order from my local dealer. Hopefully no more than 12 weeks away. :thumbsup:

Long Rifle
03-11-2012, 9:39 AM
There is a $1000 difference between those two rifles.

That's HUGE!

I'd go with the LaRue and spend the extra money on an ACOG.

Although I own a SCAR 16 and voted for it, this actually makes a lot of sense. If you can afford it the SCAR is a great rifle. Worthy to be in any collection. But the Larue is no slouch either. A better value in this SCAR owner's opinion. :)

MrExel17
03-11-2012, 9:39 AM
I say SCAR +1..

SCAR= unique but keep in mind that comes with loong waits "IF" parts are needed, never heard of it, yet. light weight, reliable, and when I use it on Call of Duty it never fails, its super accurate (Im kidding) I use the UMP.45

LaRue = Another AR/namebrand, might as well build your own with top shelve parts and save some cash for accessories & ammo.

Just keep in mind buy what you like and that makes you happy. Keep us posted on what you decided and remember post pix.

Harley
03-11-2012, 9:42 AM

When? Awhile ago.

From Larue Website:

Below, are the individual “Ban State” exceptions to our standard rifle configurations: LaRue Tactical Rifle customers need to check their own State, County, and City laws to determine the legality of rifles with these features.

CALIFORNIA: - LaRue Tactical Rifles ship with fixed (Bullet Button) magazine configuration, and 10-Round Magazines.

Wonder how I got all these Larues in CA..:43:

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd395/chaiseharley/022-1.jpg

We even had an Unofficial CA Larue Range day at Burro a few months back with another coming up in May.
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd395/chaiseharley/2012-02-11_14-08-07_646.jpg

pat4wd
03-11-2012, 9:46 AM
here is there right up on their sight.. Will ship with bullet button and 10 round mag

PredatAR 5.56 Overview

The PredatAR 5.56 is designed for those who are searching for a lightweight, ultra-reliable and accurate 5.56 mm NATO rifle for home-defense, competition-shooting or hunting. The PredatAR takes the highly accurate OBR 5.56 “Lite” design, and lightens it in every possible way with the least possible impact to the accuracy that the standard OBR is known for. By contouring the barrel, skeletonizing the handguard, lowering and simplifying the upper rail, and using a low-profile gas block, we were able to reduce roughly 2 pounds from the standard OBR 5.56 rifle.

The barrels are LW-50 stainless steel, lightweight-profiled, Wylde chambered and feature polygonal rifling in a 1/8 twist rate. LW-50 Stainless has proven itself for over 15 years, in military and civilian uses ranging from sniper, tactical, target, and other high-performance applications where long life and accuracy are critical. All barrels are threaded in ½ x 28, with an A2 flash hider attached* (other muzzle devices can be added at an additional cost).

The handguards on the PredatAR extend out 14.75”, to suit a larger range of shooting styles. The zero-MOA upper rail provides plenty of room for weapon-mounted night-vision day/night combinations. Both the upper and lower are CNC-machined from billet 7075-T6, for the optimum fit and consistency. Even though we lightened certain features, there is still additional material in strategic areas to achieve maximum accuracy. Each rifle ships with one, 3” long, MIL-STD-1913 detachable rail section.

Both models come with a 6-position Magpul MOE Stock and Pistol Grip in Magpul Olive Drab (OD). The Bolt Carriers are hand-polished hard-chrome with max-staked carrier keys, with Texas-Spec Bolt assemblies. The lower assembly has the proven Geissele Two-Stage trigger.

(Iron Sights, Optics and QD mounts not included in price)
Base model includes OD Magpul MOE Stock and Pistol Grip, 1 Aluminum Magazine, 1 Rail Strip, and A2 Flash Hider
LaRue Tactical Rifle Sales to “Ban States”
(Read if your rifle is being shipped to CA, CT, HI, MD, MA, NJ, NY, or WA)

Rifles with features including flash suppressors, bayonet lugs, collapsible stocks and high-capacity magazines are subject to regulation in certain States, Counties, and Cities.

How does LaRue Tactical configure rifles for “Ban States”?
LaRue Rifles will ship with low-capacity (10-Round) magazines as appropriate
LaRue Tactical will pin and weld a muzzle device (of any type we sell in accordance with local law)
LaRue Tactical will not pin a collapsible stock (in those cases, we ship with a fixed A2 Stock)
LaRue Rifles have no bayonet lug

It is important to know that the extension tube of an A2 stock is different from that of a collapsible stock.

---------------------Induvidual State Variances Below --------------------------------------------

Below, are the individual “Ban State” exceptions to our standard rifle configurations:
LaRue Tactical Rifle customers need to check their own State, County, and City laws to determine the legality of rifles with these features.

CALIFORNIA:
- LaRue Tactical Rifles ship with fixed (Bullet Button) magazine configuration, and 10-Round Magazines

CONNECTICUT:
- LaRue Tactical Rifles ship with pinned and welded Muzzle Device, Fixed A2 Stock

HAWAII:
- LaRue Tactical Rifles ship with 10-Round Magazines

MARYLAND:
- LaRue Tactical Rifles ship with 20-Round Magazines

MASSACHUSETTS:
- LaRue Tactical Rifles ship with pinned and welded Muzzle Device, Fixed A2 Stock, 10-Round Magazines

NEW JERSEY:
- LaRue Tactical Rifles ship with pinned and welded Muzzle Device, Fixed A2 Stock, 10-Round Magazines

NEW YORK:

WASHINGTON:
- No Short Barreled Rifles (SBR’s), or barrels less than 16.1” in total length.

pat4wd
03-11-2012, 9:47 AM
Can someone say echo!! lol beat me to it

TheHammerOfTruth
03-11-2012, 9:56 AM
Nice.

Long Rifle
03-11-2012, 10:02 AM
I say SCAR +1..

SCAR= unique but keep in mind that comes with loong waits "IF" parts are needed, never heard of it, yet. light weight, reliable, and when I use it on Call of Duty it never fails, its super accurate (Im kidding) I use the UMP.45

LaRue = Another AR/namebrand, might as well build your own with top shelve parts and save some cash for accessories & ammo.

Just keep in mind buy what you like and that makes you happy. Keep us posted on what you decided and remember post pix.

SCAR parts are readily available now from third party vendors:
http://www.hi-desertdog.com/fnh-accessories-/fnh-scar-16/17-parts-.html

By the time you build an AR configured similar to the Larue it would be very close costwise, but you won't have Larue's excellent customer service.

I got the gold SCAR Light and UMP 45 as I have their civilian versions, but I prefer the P90. I got 200 rounds on tap and allows me to move quicker. :punk:

Harley
03-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Nice.

Time to start supporting them now huh? ;)

J.S.Riesch
03-11-2012, 10:06 AM

THIS. A++++++++:oji:

SpunkyJivl
03-11-2012, 10:13 AM
SCAR all the way. The Larue one is just another AR-15 platform.

TreeHugger
03-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Larue is not your typical AR, it MAY look like the average Volkswagen from a distance, but once you get close, it feels & drives like a Cadillac. I got both my Larue OBR 5.56 & 7.62 in CA not long ago, no problem getting them.

SCAR is new, may or may not stay, too expensive. But, if I was going for a new look & willing to spend the extra $900, I guess SCAR would win.

I don't own a SCAR, but people that have shot both, most agree that Larue is more accurate. Before I got my OBRs, one of the contenders for my pocket book was SCAR.

Mobius38
03-11-2012, 11:08 AM
La Rue all the way! That SCAR can not hold a candle to anything that La Rue can produce. LT rifles are by far some of the most accurate and reliable guns I have ever shot. I have over 1500 rounds threw an OBR 7.62 and haven never ever had a malfunction. I have run that bad boy bone dry and it amazing.

TreeHugger
03-11-2012, 11:18 AM
For my personal taste, I don't really like part of the PredatAR. If I was getting one, I would use it for short range, if possible, have Larue cut down the handguard by 3", swap for the OBR heavy barrel instead, chop that down to about 14.5" and weld/pin a SureFire muzzle break on it to make it the legal 16". But, that's just me on how I would burn money :43: hence the reason why I got the OBR 5.56 instead, since I mainly am going to mount an Aimpoint Micro for now, but may throw a scope on it later, probably not though, but still like to have that option open.

Inquirer
03-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Wonder how I got all these Larues in CA..:43:

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd395/chaiseharley/022-1.jpg

I'm gonna guess that the answer to that is with lots of disposable income.

icenix
03-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I guess the LaRue looks like "just another AR" so for that the SCAR gets a point for being different from what everyone else has. However, I personally think the SCAR is extremely UGLY. I think the whole stock is a big part of that. So, LaRue takes back the lead. This, of course, is only basing a decision on looks and not function, lol.

BHPFan
03-11-2012, 12:13 PM
SCAR all the way. The Larue one is just another AR-15 platform.

+1.

Also, like it's been mentioned, the SCAR is lighter.

Nothing against LaRue as it's got great products, but since it's an AR platform, what does other top notch brands cannot do that a LaRue can do?

MrPlink
03-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Larue is good, but its just another AR. Nothing you couldnt build yourself.

Hoop
03-11-2012, 12:39 PM
If you're hell bent on spending too much I'd get the OBR 16" or wait until they have their predatar with the OBR heavier profile barrel (I'm not a fan of lightweight "match" barrels for that I'd stick to gov't profile chrome lined).

I have zip for experience with the SCAR, sorry.

By the time you build an AR configured similar to the Larue it would be very close costwise

Not hard to build an AR with decent handguards, match trigger/barrel and magpul stock for around 1200. If you want monolithic upper probably 1400-1500.

HK Dave
03-11-2012, 1:01 PM
Calling a Larue a glorifed AR is like calling a Surgeon Scalpel a glorified Remington 700. ;)

MrPlink
03-11-2012, 1:51 PM
Who said anything about "glorified"?
It IS an AR, nothing to argue about.

HK Dave
03-11-2012, 1:59 PM
I think "BernardKaram" did. :P

:hide:

thmpr
03-11-2012, 2:20 PM
SCAR parts are readily available.

pyro3k2
03-11-2012, 2:37 PM
When did this thread shift to **** larue? Seriously they never claimed the PredatAR to be a new evolution or anything of the sort. It's exactly what you think it is, a heavily modified ultra light AR-15 and thats whats great about it. It can do exactly the same as most other AR's in the 1500 price range. Somethings a little better and some things on par. It basically comes down to how much money you want to spend on JUST the rifle and if you want to attention at the range.

I would go for the Larue simply because of the 1000 price difference, there is NOTHING the SCAR can do that the Larue can't to justify spending that much more on it.

tuna quesadilla
03-11-2012, 2:56 PM

THIS. A++++++++:oji:

I swear you guys are your own worst enemy. :rofl2: :rofl2: LaRue has been shipping to California for a long time now!

LovingTheYear1911
03-11-2012, 3:38 PM
Only reason I said its a 'glorified' AR is because of the praise it gets. I never meant to say its anything better than other AR's or even different. Hang around these forums for a while and you will come to see most members jump on a brand wagon and Larue is one of those "favored" AR's.

Personally its nothing a Delton cant do.

tuna quesadilla
03-11-2012, 3:55 PM
Only reason I said its a 'glorified' AR is because of the praise it gets. I never meant to say its anything better than other AR's or even different. Hang around these forums for a while and you will come to see most members jump on a brand wagon and Larue is one of those "favored" AR's.

Personally its nothing a Delton cant do.

Really? Which Del-Ton model comes with a pencil-profile stainless steel barrel? Which Del-Ton model comes with a hard-chromed BCG with properly staked gas keys? Which Del-Ton model comes with a light-weight, full-length, user-configurable handguard? Which Del-Ton comes stock with a two-stage Geissele trigger? Which Del-Ton model comes with LaRue's proprietary XTRAXN or something similar?

Sure you can buy a Del-Ton and dress it up with aftermarket parts, but then you have a mutt of a rifle, with potentially shoddy workmanship depending on who installed the parts and how skilled they are, with a billion different manufacturers you need to go to when something goes wrong, and in the end it's still a Del-Ton.

With the LaRue (or any similar premium rifle -- Knights SR-15, Noveske Recon, etc...) you pretty much have the guarantee that everything is going to be exactly built to spec, will be fully backed by the ONE manufacturer that you bought it from (and they'll do it with a smile on their face), and that the rifle will run like a raped ape.

Your ignorant analogy about Del-Tons implied that none of this was the case. There is a reason that the LaRue costs $1500 and the Del-Ton costs $700.

ETA: Besides, do you really want to do business with a company that treats its customers like this? (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_100/216254_Hung_out_to_dry_by_Delton.html&page=1)

JUm3
03-11-2012, 5:14 PM
Just picked up a scar and I have nothing but good to say about it. Other than magazine issues I have had with the Promag (not P-mag). The recoil is non-existent and with a battlecomp, it feels like a completely different system than an standard AR. You really have to shoot it to appreciate it, otherwise you're taking a leap of faith like i did.

There really shouldn't be a comparison between the two different systems. If I was in the market for an AR, i'd definitely shell out for a larue. Larue makes awesome products and i know it's a marketing plug, but Chris Costa won't just slap his name on everything.

The SCAR on the otherhand just looks awesome, and it is battle-ready (just like the larue). The spares are now available, and rumors of barrel swaps are starting to emerge for the coming year. Let's not forget that this system is relatively new in the market.

If you already have an AR, get the SCAR. Because, many who own the SCAR and ACR would agree that the AR is still the go-to weapon. But if you don't have an AR get a SCAR in FDE and buy a stripped lower.

But if you're in the market for a .308, then the SCAR 17 beats out any system. Also with the new contracts that the SCAR 17 is getting, the civilin supply is expected to run low. Check out the FNHforums for news updates.

Here's a very informative review:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_2/280622_I_am_being_issued_a_S_C_A_R_______Review_po sted_PG_1.html

JUm3
03-11-2012, 5:16 PM
you know, from re-reading that review I posted... get the SCAR. they make AR's everywhere and all the time.

Irish Gunner
03-11-2012, 5:31 PM
LaRue PredatAR is on my wish list. Yes it is an AR, but since it is American made (different rant) and they put the effort into using good quality parts and making sure it works (not a guarantee when you build your own) I would buy it.

They also step up and put in a 2-stage Geiselle trigger, not a standard on most off the shelf AR's.

Sturnovik
03-11-2012, 5:36 PM
I'd love to get the scar but thats me.

cmace22
03-11-2012, 6:29 PM
I'd vote SCAR. LaRue makes a good rifle but at the end of the day its an AR. The SCAR is a completely different system. For me, I already own 3 AR's and I love them but I wouldnt add another one unless it was an 80% build. The SCAR is an intriguing firearm but the price tag is high. If I had money to burn and I already owned AR's I get a SCAR and an ACR or 2 lol.

LovingTheYear1911
03-11-2012, 6:54 PM
Tuna,

Before you get all emotional on us, relax and take a deep breath. Do you own Larue and I offended you? If you actually pay attention to what I said instead of get your emotions in way, I said Delton will do anything a Larue can. Sure it's not all pretty and done up, but it will shoot paper the same way.

HK Dave
03-11-2012, 7:13 PM
Tuna,

Before you get all emotional on us, relax and take a deep breath. Do you own Larue and I offended you? If you actually pay attention to what I said instead of get your emotions in way, I said Delton will do anything a Larue can. Sure it's not all pretty and done up, but it will shoot paper the same way.

Sorry to break it to you, but your Delton is not going to shoot sub moa like the Larue can. Certainly not sub 1/2 moa like some Larues can. So no, it can't do anything a Larue can. ;)

Long Rifle
03-11-2012, 7:21 PM
I'm sure you love your Delton, but this thread and poll is between the SCAR and Larue. You seem more emotional about your Delton than Tuna is. There's nothing wrong with wanting Delton or any other bargain brand, but some of us don't mind spending more (sometimes a lot more) for our guns even for no other reason than simply because we can.

TreeHugger
03-11-2012, 7:26 PM
Sorry to break it to you, but your Delton is not going to shoot sub moa like the Larue can. Certainly not sub 1/2 moa like some Larues can. So no, it can't do anything a Larue can. ;)

I was raised with the idea in that with most things in life, you get what you paid for. Damn, I could've bought a Volkswagen instead of a Ferrari?

17+1
03-11-2012, 7:47 PM
LaRue makes some really nice guns. If you do buy it, look at it for a while under decent lighting. There are lots of little things you would miss if you just looked at pictures online. I've played with a bunch of AR's and none have impressed me like the LaRue stuff did. Their mounts are pretty sweet too. I also really like their swag that's included in the box. NRA info, copy of the Constitution, bumper stickers, BBQ seasoning, bottle opener and if you buy a high(er) dollar item, a hat.

tuna quesadilla
03-11-2012, 8:19 PM
Tuna,

I do not own a LaRue rifle, no. The only piece of LaRue gear that I own is a VTAC sling with LaRue's name on it. I don't see where I got emotional either? :confused: I think you're just feeling a little small because I called you out on your obvious BS.

Again, you get what you pay for. A Del-Ton carbine will not shoot with the speed, accuracy, and finesse of the tricked-out LaRue that the OP is describing. Period. That is not negotiable.

BTW, I don't know about you, but my ARs ain't just for shooting paper. I'm not going to trust some cheapo bargain-bin AR when the time comes to shoot something other than paper.

pat4wd
03-11-2012, 8:37 PM
I am about to buy a Larue or JP myself.. If you add it all up I think the Larue is a bargain since most end up doing all the same stuff to their builds a little at a time but with out the fit and finish that comes with the Larue.. I like the JP's though too so maybe take a look at them, they are known for making absolute tack drivers as well.. I like their brakes as well

Outta Control
03-11-2012, 8:37 PM
My brother and friend just bought their LaRue PredatAR 7.62 version. I say one key thing about LaRue is the attention detail on workmanship. I've heard of some AR owners complaining about a wiggle between the upper and lower or some components not working as well. This is where the LaRue shine. Holding one you can feel how solidly built these things are. The SCAR is nice and is an eye-candy for a lot of shooters but, to me, given the reciprocating charging handle and the rumor of how easily the stock pin can be broken is a deal breaker for me. So I would go with LaRue.

LovingTheYear1911
03-11-2012, 10:05 PM
Like I said, for the 99% of the people who shoot paper at 100 yards, the Delton will do the same; it will hit the paper just like the Larue will. I am not arguing detail, fit, and finish, but to me its not worth paying that much more. If I was into accuracy, I wouldnt be getting an AR (even though its pretty accurate). Again, its just another AR out there. Its the 68347 company that makes AR's. A Scar is far more rare (though uglier) and more of a collectors item.

By the way, I dont own a Delton.

LovingTheYear1911
03-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Im really not a proponent, but I just see things differently I guess.

I guess we should go back to the topic. Get the Scar, or better yet, get an ACR!

shamu415
03-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I voted for the SCAR, its something different, and if you got the money why the hell not.
The Larue is a great AR, I believe all the accuracy comes from the Upper and barrel they use, and the great CS if needed

Noah3683
03-11-2012, 10:22 PM
LaRue PredatAR is on my wish list. Yes it is an AR, but since it is American made (different rant) and they put the effort into using good quality parts and making sure it works (not a guarantee when you build your own) I would buy it.

They also step up and put in a 2-stage Geiselle trigger, not a standard on most off the shelf AR's.
Well unless Columbia, South Carolina is suddenly no longer part of the United States...... Then technically so is the Scar since thats where it's manufactured:p

Outta Control
03-11-2012, 10:23 PM

I guess we should go back to the topic. Get the Scar, or better yet, get an ACR!

That we can agree on. I like the ACR more than the SCAR.

Noah3683
03-11-2012, 10:23 PM

Agreed. Better system IMO but it would sure be nice if it checked in closer to the scar for weight

Bartin
03-11-2012, 10:51 PM
SCAR
Because people sound like idiots saying "PredatAR"

tuna quesadilla
03-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Well unless Columbia, South Carolina is suddenly no longer part of the United States...... Then technically so is the Scar since thats where it's manufactured:p

True, but ultimately the profits will go to Belgium where FN Herstal is headquartered. :)

tuna quesadilla
03-11-2012, 10:54 PM
SCAR
Because people sound like idiots saying "PredatAR"

Have you seen LaRue's latest rifle they announced at SHOW 2012?

"Hey guys, check out my Predatober!" :kest:

giantsfan650
03-11-2012, 10:55 PM
SCAR every time.

Once you have shot one, you know why.

Noah3683
03-11-2012, 11:03 PM
True, but ultimately the profits will go to Belgium where FN Herstal is headquartered. :)

Haha yeah i know. Just a little harmless pot stirring. He said American made not American based. That's why i said technically. I knew what he meant though :D

Safra460
03-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Why not the JP rifles? I own a few of them and also in 308. The accuracy is great and the recoil is very light and virtually non existent in the 223 because of their LMOS and brake.
I shot a SCAR this weekend and the even the owner of the SCAR agreed that my JP feels better in terms of recoil and sight recovery.
Just my 2cents.

Long Rifle
03-12-2012, 7:04 AM
Have you seen LaRue's latest rifle they announced at SHOW 2012?

"Hey guys, check out my Predatober!" :kest:

Gee, thanks guys. I already feel silly telling my buddies I just ordered a 7.62 PredatOBR. :hide: It's not on Larue's website yet, but my local dealer was able to get the ball rolling. Siily name aside, I opted for it instead of the SCAR 17 because of better trigger and accuracy out of the box. Extra magazines will be a lot easier to acquire, also. :)

Striker
03-12-2012, 9:03 AM
Gee, thanks guys. I already feel silly telling my buddies I just ordered a 7.62 PredatOBR. :hide: It's not on Larue's website yet, but my local dealer was able to get the ball rolling. Siily name aside, I opted for it instead of the SCAR 17 because of better trigger and accuracy out of the box. Extra magazines will be a lot easier to acquire, also. :)

I thought they were calling it the OBR Hybrid.

Both the Predatar and the SCAR are nice, but very different. Have you handled or shot a SCAR? A Predatar is a nice, light AR. So you should have a general idea of what it's like. The SCAR is different. Handle or shoot before you buy one. IMHO, if you're use to ARs, it's very different and you may or may not like it.

And personally, my choice would be the OBR Hybrid mentioned above.

Dhena81
03-12-2012, 9:25 AM
How about you learn how to run one system DI AR and have all the bells and whistles that go along with it and go train.

I've owned a Scar 16's and it isn't much different from any other rifle that shoots 5.56 except it has a different manual of arms. I actually prefer a DI impulse over the Scar's I really don't think it is as soft as people claim. I can shoot hammered pairs and controlled pairs better with my MRP with similarly equipped muzzle breaks.

Also IMO the stock, handguards, rail height, trigger, sights, and lack of sling attachment points is a deal breaker for me and the Scar. Most of these things now can be addressed like the Vltor stock mod, PWS handguards, Geissele trigger, and Troy sights. So for me to get the Scar set up the way I would enjoy shooting it would end up costing me another $1200 bucks without optics which also by the way require a different height mount unless you co-witness your irons on an AR.

So you can spend all this money on something that is different and not even get the benefit of why it was put into production in the first place which is the folding stock. And since you can't suppress or SBR it their is no point in owning a 16" or 14.5" scar 16.

I think the majority of people that are voting for the Scar are COD players or just think it looks cooler than your typical AR.

pyro3k2
03-12-2012, 9:41 AM
How about you learn how to run one system DI AR and have all the bells and whistles that go along with it and go train.

I've owned a Scar 16's and it isn't much different from any other rifle that shoots 5.56 except it has a different manual of arms. I actually prefer a DI impulse over the Scar's I really don't think it is as soft as people claim. I can shoot hammered pairs and controlled pairs better with my MRP with similarly equipped muzzle breaks.

Also IMO the stock, handguards, rail height, trigger, sights, and lack of sling attachment points is a deal breaker for me and the Scar. Most of these things now can be addressed like the Vltor stock mod, PWS handguards, Geissele trigger, and Troy sights. So for me to get the Scar set up the way I would enjoy shooting it would end up costing me another $1200 bucks without optics which also by the way require a different height mount unless you co-witness your irons on an AR.

So you can spend all this money on something that is different and not even get the benefit of why it was put into production in the first place which is the folding stock. And since you can't suppress or SBR it their is no point in owning a 16" or 14.5" scar 16.

I think the majority of people that are voting for the Scar are COD players or just think it looks cooler than your typical AR.

Well said

HK Dave
03-12-2012, 9:43 AM
I agree with Dhena in all the points he mentioned.

I do believe many SCAR users that call it extremely soft shooting, are either making themselves believe it (they did pay $2500+ for it after all) or aren't in tune enough with their rifles nor shoot them in groups enough to know the difference.

Ergonomically, I think the SCAR is bulkier than an AR.

On an aesthetic note, I think it's REALLY UGLY. I know, everyone has a different opinion on beauty, and if you think its a work of art, then don't let me stop you... but I think it's beastly ugly.

If they were in the same price range, I'd be a little more torn, but at more than $1K difference, i'd take the Larue any day of the week and get me an ACOG or a good 1-4x scope with that $1K.

ScottsBad
03-12-2012, 6:28 PM
The LaRue rifle is a very nice rifle, BUT I would pick the SCAR 16s NO QUESTION.

I strongly disagree with HKDAVE and others who argue that the SCAR is no different than "any 5.56 rifle". If you own both you know the difference.

Check this if you want to know what makes the SCAR a better engineered rifle. --> SCAR KNOWLEDGE THEADS - SCAR VS. AR (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=62889)
I own ARs and SCARs (16s and 17s). Love them both, but for different reasons. I own ARs (good ones) because of the availability of parts, and the fact that they cost a bit less.

I own SCARs, because they are better rifles, and I will be buying another SCAR 16 within a couple months. Yes, parts for the SCAR platform are harder to come by, but they are better engineered and I believe they will break less often. I bought some replacment parts for the SCAR that might wear out at some point (gas rings, ejector, and ejector parts, springs, Etc.), but that's it.

Also, the SCAR 16 just shoots more smoothly, the felt recoil is superb. Some on this forum claim they cannot tell the difference, well, with all due respect they don't know what they are talking about. I shoot them side by side and the difference is quite noticeable. For instance I shoot a sixteen inch Noveske light reece next to a SCAR 16. Both have the same PWS FSC556 compensator, both with T-1s (low weight optics), I fitted the Noveske with Troy Extreme Battlerail (light weight). I shoot both side by side using plain old m855 and m193. For me the SCAR just shoots with a better recoil impulse.

The one downside that bothered me is that the SCAR stock triggers are hit or miss. Some are OK while others are hideous (I've heard this is getting better). Sometimes they break in well, other times they don't.

Timney and Geissele now make trigger replacements for a price. I polished the sears on mine, and that made a huge difference, but I'll probably get a Geissele for the SCAR 17 rifle at some point. However, the stock SCAR trigger is no worse than a stock single stage AR trigger.

Some folks don't like the recipricating charging handle....I LOVE IT. Especially compared to the AR. The rifle is also very easy to quickly disassemble, cleaning is a breeze, no carbon fouled bolt. And I have not found it necessary to clean the gas piston every time I take it out.

The SCAR is also VERY light, if you put an Aimpoint T-1 on it it'll surprise you with it's balance and light weight. I interchange between a T-1 and a Trijicon TR24R

I have honestly NEVER had a failure to feed. I swear. I probably only put 700-800 rounds through the SCAR 16, and I only use reasonably good ammo usually m855 or m193, no steel, but I find that most rifles have these issues more often when they are new or if they get crappy ammo.

Oh, I do not recommend plastic magazines! The SCAR 16 is designed for STANAG aluminum magazines. The PMAGS and EMAGS will operate, but there are problems I don't have time to explain here. Trust me.

It is true that I almost never have a malfunction with my BCM or Noveske rifles, but they just don't shoot as smoothly and they have the other downsides of the AR platform.

So, if you want a really nice rifle that has a more sophisticated modern design, and I mean engineering design. The SCAR may be your rifle.

ScottsBad
03-12-2012, 6:58 PM

I frankly, don't know what you are talking about, I use the excellent stock irons, and standard scope mounts, such as a LaRue SPR-E with a NF NXS 2.5-10 on my SCAR 17, a LaRue tall T-1 Mount and Bobro extended mount on my SCAR 16, I have no cheek weld or alignment issues what so ever.

In addition, I spend a lot of time on the FN Forum and M4Carbine.net and I don't remember reading about any significant issues for people using M4 height scope mounts. In fact, I'll take the ergonomics of the SCAR any day over the AR.

I believe you are one of those folks who trained with a M4/AR and have a difficult time making a transition. I can somewhat agree that the sling mounts are not to my liking, but the rest is garbage.

Read my previous post for a link to an engineering analysis of the SCAR vs. AR.

ScottsBad
03-12-2012, 7:13 PM

I'm not a LaRue hater, but I bet they only changed their stance because they were loosing sales NOT because they like Californians, this based on their previous attitude. BTW - They should keep Mark away from the public. I've seen him act like a complete ***** with someone who questioned one of his designs once. There was NO justification for it.

If they didn't make such fine stuff I'd never buy anything from them. I usually look for alternatives first.

kozumasbullitt
03-12-2012, 7:58 PM
Scar hands down! I own a collection of rifles and I prefer the Scar ergos to any AR.

pyro3k2
03-12-2012, 11:37 PM
So much fail from the SCAR "owners" here. Most just seem like they don't want to admit they paid the extra money for the "cool" factor. There are a few that are being honest and saying it's not worth the extra 1k for stuff that you can't use here in CA. If you lived outside of CA and could NFA your rifle then thats were the SCAR 16s would be hard to beat. But behind the Iron curtain the larue rifle really pulls ahead and at 1k cheaper you can buy a good optic extra mags and ammo. If it was my money I would get the 18" predatAR and a TA33 ACOG and have a great day at the range.

tuna quesadilla
03-13-2012, 1:05 AM
I'm not a LaRue hater, but I bet they only changed their stance because they were loosing sales NOT because they like Californians, this based on their previous attitude. BTW - They should keep Mark away from the public. I've seen him act like a complete ***** with someone who questioned one of his designs once. There was NO justification for it.

If they didn't make such fine stuff I'd never buy anything from them. I usually look for alternatives first.

Mark LaRue has a "no better friend, no worse enemy" kind of attitude.

If you're a good customer he will shower you with freebies and kindness. On another AR forum, he holds a random drawing each month and gives away a complete rifle FOR FREE. EVERY MONTH. Say what you will about the guy but he is extremely generous.

If you mouth off or tell lies about his products, or speak towards/about him in any way less then respectful... Well, then the gloves are off and he'll have at you.

He can be an *** sometimes but I've never seen him act that way towards anybody who didn't deserve it.

BTW, in case you didn't know, he donated $24,000 out of his own pocket to the CGF. You guys sound like ungrateful whiny 12-year-olds when you say "Yeah he donated TWENTY-FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS but I still hate him!". :facepalm: If I was him, considering the way he's treated after all he did for California, I would probably cease all sales to California, period.

starsnuffer
03-13-2012, 8:15 AM
Not a fan of Larue. Nothing against DI AR's, I'd just make another decision if I was going to buy one.

You have to decide if you want an AR or a SCAR. If you don't own an AR, get an AR. You'll appreciate the SCAR more later that way. If you never owned an AR, you just won't get it.

-W

docsmileyface
03-13-2012, 8:40 AM
Starsnuffer, nicely put. I love my AR, I love my LaRue mounts, but the SCAR is in my opinion the most fun 5.56 semi automatic rifle I've ever got to shoot, very pleasant with the stock brake unless you are standing to the side or behind it. However, you put a good muzzle brake on an AR and you can make an M4 shoot pretty similarly. Biggest plus for the SCAR in my mind is the ease of maintenance. All of the carbon is dispersed to the front, so when you take it apart to clean it your done in 15 minutes instead of hours with an AR.

TreeHugger
03-13-2012, 8:51 AM
All of the carbon is dispersed to the front, so when you take it apart to clean it your done in 15 minutes instead of hours with an AR.

Hours on an AR??? Come on now!

HK Dave
03-13-2012, 8:52 AM
Holy moly doc, it takes hours to clean your AR? :P

They just won't leave you alone until you can eat off it huh? My brother (army) HATES cleaning his rifle... when I showed him how i clean mine, i think his words were something like, "You'd be so #$^&#! in the army!" ;) I think he once told me about his days in Basic... where some trainees went and decided to wash them with water and soap to speed up the process.... seems they got in a bit of trouble.

My AR takes me about 10-15 minutes (if i'm going slow)... using all the right tools of course. :D

docsmileyface
03-13-2012, 9:03 AM
Dave, sounds about right. If I tried to turn my M4 in after 15 minutes of cleaning.... well lets just say the results wouldn't be good. The majority of my unit spent ALL day on Sunday cleaning their weapons getting them kicked back until about 1930 when they finally got them to standard.

Outta Control
03-13-2012, 9:10 AM
Hey Doc you live in San Jo. If you have an interested we should do an AR cleaning party. I will bring my piston AR and see how quick we can clean it. :)

HK Dave
03-13-2012, 9:11 AM
Ouch... makes you wonder... whether they really need to be cleaned again, or they just trying to teach some patience?

I watch any of my friends that have served... when they clean their weapons... it's an exercise of patience for ME. :P

diprivan1
03-13-2012, 10:28 AM
I have both and both in 5.56 and 7.62-- all 16 inch.
larues: more accurate, best finish quality
SCARs: less recoil, better balanced,
alot easier to clean, can shoot in the sand, mud, after being dunked in water (Larue would blow the gas tube)
My opinion:
Larue for punching paper targets.
SCAR: self defense, survival, reliability in the dirt/sand/water
and the only gun I'd choose if i could choose one.
YMMV but thats my perspective from owning both.

SoCalSig1911
03-13-2012, 11:19 AM
I voted Scar only because it is something different, you can always build an AR whenever you want and add one to the collection. Eventually i want to add a Scar 17 and an AK to my collection of 1 AR :) so i have one of each platform.

Dhena81
03-13-2012, 2:34 PM
I frankly, don't know what you are talking about, I use the excellent stock irons, and standard scope mounts, such as a LaRue SPR-E with a NF NXS 2.5-10 on my SCAR 17, a LaRue tall T-1 Mount and Bobro extended mount on my SCAR 16, I have no cheek weld or alignment issues what so ever.

In addition, I spend a lot of time on the FN Forum and M4Carbine.net and I don't remember reading about any significant issues for people using M4 height scope mounts. In fact, I'll take the ergonomics of the SCAR any day over the AR.

I believe you are one of those folks who trained with a M4/AR and have a difficult time making a transition. I can somewhat agree that the sling mounts are not to my liking, but the rest is garbage.

Read my previous post for a link to an engineering analysis of the SCAR vs. AR.

I frankly don't give a **** what you think of my opinions just because I don't agree with what you think doesn't mean my opinion is garbage.

I never said the Scar is a horrible weapon I just mentioned since there are a lot of different factors to consider for one being Californian and a Scar owner there are some downsides and I pointed out what I thought. Maybe I should have added IMO or YMMV that way you would understand what I'm saying and what my personal criticisms are in regards to the Scar. Which BTW is as a previous owner since this is what the thread is about.

It's not about weather or not you can run Pmags in your scar or that you've had no issues with your Scar in a measly 800 rounds of slow fire on a bench.

As far as the height of the mounts go maybe you should check out Troy industries and check out what there micro BUIS sets are made for. They are made for the HK 416, POF, XCR, Scar, and other weapons with raised top rails maybe that would be a clue.

For the record I was specifically talking about the Scar 16 because IMO the Scar 17 is a whole different animal and I might add that I'm no firearms expert I don't claim to be. But I do have my own opinions formed mostly from my experiences if yours differ from mine I won't claim yours are garbage or claim I'm an expert because I frequent the FN or M4carbine forum.

B!ngo
03-13-2012, 3:06 PM
LaRue has taken the AR/M4 design and implementation to a new high-point. No question from a performance and quality perspective, LaRue does remarkable work.
FWIW, the reason I add the term 'implementation' is to contradict an earlier entry in which someone noted that anyone could build a sub-MOA rifle/carbine like the LaRue given high-quality parts (or some such). That just isn't true. The skills and tricks in assembly, the thoughtful use of small design changes all come together in LaRue's work. They're amazing.
My personal choice though is not to hone an older design, but to move ahead to more modern designs and implementations. The SCAR stands out as a small move in that direction. Some fundamental changes (gas system, replaceable barrel, high plastic content, folding stock, mostly ambi) make it more modern, and seemingly easier to shoot and do so accurately.
So, out of these two, my vote would go to the 16 (but I'd actually buy the 17).
I'd like to take a step further though (even though no one is asking) and choose a more advanced design like the Israeli TAR21 or the FN2000. But that's just me.
B

ScottsBad
03-13-2012, 3:14 PM
Mark LaRue has a "no better friend, no worse enemy" kind of attitude.

If you're a good customer he will shower you with freebies and kindness. On another AR forum, he holds a random drawing each month and gives away a complete rifle FOR FREE. EVERY MONTH. Say what you will about the guy but he is extremely generous.

If you mouth off or tell lies about his products, or speak towards/about him in any way less then respectful... Well, then the gloves are off and he'll have at you.

He can be an *** sometimes but I've never seen him act that way towards anybody who didn't deserve it.

BTW, in case you didn't know, he donated $24,000 out of his own pocket to the CGF. You guys sound like ungrateful whiny 12-year-olds when you say "Yeah he donated TWENTY-FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS but I still hate him!". :facepalm: If I was him, considering the way he's treated after all he did for California, I would probably cease all sales to California, period.

I already said that I am not a LaRue hater, I'm simply a person who does not condon poor attitudes by manufacturers or vendors.

And frankly, I don't care if he gave a Million to CGF, you cannot buy my loyalty. When he proves to me that he has learned something about how to treat cusomers then he will have earned my respect back. I respect the fact that his company makes good products and gives back to the "community", but that does not earn my respect for him personally until he learns that he cannot attack his customers.

If you think my comments constitute the whinning of a 12 year old, then you are perpetrating the very thing you accuse me of. It is an ad hominen attack, usually employed by persons that cannot form a reasonable and logical arguments, most often used in the school yard or by adults with limited mental capacity.

Have a nice day.

TreeHugger
03-13-2012, 4:35 PM
Children, come on now, no need to fight.

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTU2DHifWmHqB4tovpAl7cE-aVFs5rPrUAjkaBIz-Vh_-TSBJsV

MrPlink
03-13-2012, 4:50 PM
Children, come on now, no need to fight.

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTU2DHifWmHqB4tovpAl7cE-aVFs5rPrUAjkaBIz-Vh_-TSBJsV

yes there is, comparing anything on here equals a fight.

Even on stuff that does not matter!
"What is better 10/20 or 10/30 mags?" ='s fighting words.
Nothing ends here until somebody gets their feelings hurt and somebody gets banned

edit:
the poll should be expanded to add the SCAR17 as a choice, because it wins PERIOD! :p

SoCalSig1911
03-13-2012, 5:46 PM

Nothing ends here until somebody gets their feelings hurt and somebody gets banned

edit:
the poll should be expanded to add the SCAR17 as a choice, because it wins PERIOD! :p

Well yeah cause 10/30's are better overall and have the cool factor duh! You wanna fight? lol

Dhena81
03-13-2012, 8:28 PM

edit:

That's not because its your pride and joy now is it MrPlink :detective:

I shot one of those about a month ago and that is an awesome rifle I've been going back and forth on weather or not to get that or an OBR since that is a more fair comparison at about the same price point.

TreeHugger
03-14-2012, 6:10 AM
I shot one of those about a month ago and that is an awesome rifle I've been going back and forth on weather or not to get that or an OBR since that is a more fair comparison at about the same price point.

If the OBR, have you considered their new PradatOBR? A PredatAR frame with OBR barrel, new stock and grip. The 556 is actually heavier at 7.9lbs for the 14.5". The 762 is 8.2lbs for the 14.5", the 16" should still be lighter than the OBR equivalent.

For something different with a modern design, I was seriously considering their FS2000. But, decided to stick with the AR platform, figured can't go wrong with a design that survived for this long, plus it comes with an awesome Geiselle trigger and match barrel. If I needed something that will almost guarantee to shoot in the worse condition, I may consider the AK for less than $1000.

HK Dave
03-14-2012, 7:30 AM
I think my next rifle will be a SCAR 17s to sit alongside my Larue OBR in the safe. :D

pc_load_letter
03-14-2012, 8:01 AM
+1 SCAR. I sold my LWRCI after picking up the SCAR.

Very high CDI factor and ooo's and ahhhh's from the guys as well.

BTW, shoots amazing. Easy to clean. Great if you wanted to go featureless because the selector switch is ambi.

Hoop
03-14-2012, 8:29 AM
weather or not to get that or an OBR

GAP-10?

I wouldn't buy the SCAR-17 unless you have tons of money to throw around. If I'm going to spend 2500-3k on a rifle it better be able to make tiny groups and the scar17 range reports I've seen have looked like FN-FAL groupings...

Knife Edge
03-14-2012, 9:53 AM
I think my next rifle will be a SCAR 17s to sit alongside my Larue OBR in the safe. :D

Can you please be nicer to us mortals...

Dhena81
03-14-2012, 12:10 PM
If the OBR, have you considered their new PradatOBR? A PredatAR frame with OBR barrel, new stock and grip. The 556 is actually heavier at 7.9lbs for the 14.5". The 762 is 8.2lbs for the 14.5", the 16" should still be lighter than the OBR equivalent.

For something different with a modern design, I was seriously considering their FS2000. But, decided to stick with the AR platform, figured can't go wrong with a design that survived for this long, plus it comes with an awesome Geiselle trigger and match barrel. If I needed something that will almost guarantee to shoot in the worse condition, I may consider the AK for less than $1000.

Yes I have I'm 7th on the list at riflegear for one

MrPlink
03-14-2012, 12:56 PM
scar17 range reports I've seen have looked like FN-FAL groupings...[/QUOTE]

Sub Moa with a good shooter and good ammo, not bad for a light weight battle rifle.

That's not because its your pride and joy now is it MrPlink :detective:

I will take the 5th on that :D

HK Dave
03-14-2012, 2:24 PM
If he SCAR17 can really do sub-moa, it DEF has to be my next 308 rifle... i was going to get a GAP-10 but i might have to go the SCAR route.

TreeHugger
03-20-2012, 8:44 PM
Picked up my Larue 5.56 OBR a few days ago, they had a dark earth SCAR 17, also a black one, not sure if the black was a 16 or 17. It was noticeably lighter than an AR, felt well balanced. But, due to CA's BS, having one kind of defeats the purpose of a compact rifle, since the stock is pinned. The stock trigger felt like crap, maybe I'm just spoiled by Geissele triggers. The shop owner said it's accurate, but the stock hinge is known for breaking with certain abuse, and to me, it does look like it was somewhat designed poorly, the barrel life is 5K rnds for the 7.62 and 8K rnds for the 5.56, those are his words, not mine. Obviously he was expressing HIS honest opinion, otherwise, he probably would try and sell it to me, since I was initially interested. Anyway, I think it's a pretty nice gun, could use some tweaks to make it better, especially for the price.

mmrx2
03-21-2012, 7:36 AM
Scar! But I'd get a 17

docsmileyface
03-21-2012, 7:47 AM
I've never shot sub MOA with my SCAR 17S, but its not a precision gun imo. Its a 7.5lb battle rifle. It shoots minute of face at 100m, which is all I want it to do.

ScottsBad
03-21-2012, 8:09 AM
Picked up my Larue 5.56 OBR a few days ago, they had a dark earth SCAR 17, also a black one, not sure if the black was a 16 or 17. It was noticeably lighter than an AR, felt well balanced. But, due to CA's BS, having one kind of defeats the purpose of a compact rifle, since the stock is pinned. The stock trigger felt like crap, maybe I'm just spoiled by Geissele triggers. The shop owner said it's accurate, but the stock hinge is known for breaking with certain abuse, and to me, it does look like it was somewhat designed poorly, the barrel life is 5K rnds for the 7.62 and 8K rnds for the 5.56, those are his words, not mine. Obviously he was expressing HIS honest opinion, otherwise, he probably would try and sell it to me, since I was initially interested. Anyway, I think it's a pretty nice gun, could use some tweaks to make it better, especially for the price.

I think the guy at your shop was mis-informed. The stock hinge is NOT known to break. Its the latch that has broken in few cases by hardcore users such as Special Ops guys. There is now an aluminum latch it you are woried about it, made by Tango Down. He is incorrrect again about the barrel life, the FN barrels are very well made hammer forged chrome lined barrels, you should get as many rounds out of these as you would out of a very good AR barrel.

You are correct that the trigger is not great, they break in OK, but they are not Geissele. They are single stage triggers made for durability. You can buy a Geissele or Timney for it now however if you want.

I have never heard any knowledgeable person say they are poorly designed. The SCAR platform is the most tested rifle design ever adapted by the military. The history is actually pretty impressive.

The price of the rifle is quite high and for many folks it simply doesn't make sense. I own SCARs and ARs. I have a Noveske and a BCM that are very nice rifles and I like them ALOT. But overall I like the SCAR platform a little better.

The LaRue rifle is a very nice rifle and a good value. You should be very happy with it. I wish I had one.

Cheers---

ScottsBad
03-21-2012, 8:15 AM
I've never shot sub MOA with my SCAR 17S, but its not a precision gun imo. Its a 7.5lb battle rifle. It shoots minute of face at 100m, which is all I want it to do.

Whoa, it should be shooting better than that, I'm get 1-2 MOA with cheap PMC 147 grain.

The main problem I have encountered (besides the fact that I'm only an average shot in my old age--- LOL) is the trigger. But ammo counts too.

Try buying a couple boxes of really good ammo to see if it gets better. If not, I would contact FN. A rifle that expensive should shoot 1 MOA.

Good shooting---

animossity
03-21-2012, 3:24 PM
http://i71.servimg.com/u/f71/14/51/12/47/scar_110.jpg

Got a sweet deal on one for $2000 PPT that is brand new. Guy mailed me the stock and lower receiver so I can make it CA compliant before hand and the upper will arrive at my FFL Saturday to be put in jail.

Shopping for an Eotech XPS 3-0 in FDE, some mags and a nice case for it in the meantime.

I also picked up a magpul safety selector, MOE grip and Vertical grip.

This is by far my most anticipated DROS wait time.

docsmileyface
03-21-2012, 5:10 PM
Whoa, it should be shooting better than that, I'm get 1-2 MOA with cheap PMC 147 grain.

The main problem I have encountered (besides the fact that I'm only an average shot in my old age--- LOL) is the trigger. But ammo counts too.

Try buying a couple boxes of really good ammo to see if it gets better. If not, I would contact FN. A rifle that expensive should shoot 1 MOA.

Good shooting---

By minute of face I mean during rapid fire - if I take my time I can shoot 1.5-2MOA groups with surplus Federal XM80.

Moonshine
03-21-2012, 5:14 PM
SCAR-16s. When the panic buying begins and all the SCARs are sold out for months, if not a year, you'll be glad you got it. You can always buy a lower and piece together the AR-15 of your dreams... it may not be a predatAR but it will be close.

mmrx2
03-21-2012, 5:22 PM
I'm waiting for something like this. Good pickup.

http://i71.servimg.com/u/f71/14/51/12/47/scar_110.jpg

Got a sweet deal on one for $2000 PPT that is brand new. Guy mailed me the stock and lower receiver so I can make it CA compliant before hand and the upper will arrive at my FFL Saturday to be put in jail.

Shopping for an Eotech XPS 3-0 in FDE, some mags and a nice case for it in the meantime.

I also picked up a magpul safety selector, MOE grip and Vertical grip.

This is by far my most anticipated DROS wait time.

TreeHugger
03-21-2012, 7:16 PM
I have never heard any knowledgeable person say they are poorly designed. The SCAR platform is the most tested rifle design ever adapted by the military. The history is actually pretty impressive.

I was not referring to the whole rifle itself, mainly the stock's hinge looking flimsy.

animossity
03-21-2012, 9:34 PM
I was not referring to the whole rifle itself, mainly the stock's hinge looking flimsy.

I thought so to but after fondling the hell outta it the last two days its pretty damn beefy and strong lookin.

Knife Edge
03-22-2012, 5:04 AM

The shop owner is uninformed. EAG has a 16S they have run in almost every carbine course, every weekend for nearly two years. Last I heard the rifle was over 30k rounds without failure....

If you can afford that many rounds, buy yourself a new scar at the end and hand the old one down to your kids.

HK Dave
03-22-2012, 7:04 AM

This sounds more like the truth to me. Then again, I won't know if it really is capable of sub-moa until I try it on a rest sand bagged. Kinda goes against the idea of the SCAR. hehe

I saw your reports of 1.5-2 moa, that's what I would honestly imagine it does.

I do believe most people on forums exaggerate their abilities a bit and get their MOA numbers from what they read on the inter web. According to the internet every gun on earth can shoot sub-moa. :P

Once in a while, I take a gander at others targets at the range.... I RARELY see anything that even looks remotely like moa at 100 yards.

Not entirely certain if people know what moa looks like. :P

docsmileyface
03-22-2012, 7:17 AM
Once in a while, I take a gander at others targets at the range.... I RARELY see anything that even looks remotely like moa at 100 yards.

Not entirely certain if people know what moa looks like. :P

Yeah, I think sometimes people parrot the magic words like sub MOA on the internet without understanding what it is. My stock 700 shoots sub-MOA (but definitely not half MOA) supported with a bipod, rearbag, and matchkings - my SCAR probably could shoot a minute but not with the surplus ammunition I use in it or from the prone unsupported position I shoot it from mostly.

HK Dave
03-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I think sometimes people parrot the magic words like sub MOA on the internet without understanding what it is. My stock 700 shoots sub-MOA (but definitely not half MOA) supported with a bipod, rearbag, and matchkings - my SCAR probably could shoot a minute but not with the surplus ammunition I use in it or from the prone unsupported position I shoot it from mostly.

I hear ya... me thinks many inter web folks need to come to terms with the fact that they're not moa shooters and it quite honestly doesn't matter if they get a PredatAR, Scar or Daisy air rifle. :P

I'd be willing to bet most rifles can outshoot 99% of the people on these forums. :P

Anyhow, enough thread jacking. hehe