PDA

View Full Version : Possible good spotting scope cheap

scottj
04-10-2007, 12:30 PM
I saw this on Craigslist. It might make a good and cheap spotting scope based on the specs:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/pho/309389142.html

Guns R Tools
04-10-2007, 3:40 PM
More details here.

http://www.epinions.com/pr-National_Geographic_NG70CA_Telescope/display_~full_specs

Fjold
04-10-2007, 6:51 PM
I was always told that telescopes make lousy spotting scopes because they're not intended to be focused at short distances. It might be an old wife's tale but it's something to look into.

xenophobe
04-10-2007, 8:49 PM
If you don't mind looking at your target inverted through the telescope, then go for it. Telescopes are really poor for spotting scopes.

There's also no such thing as a good cheap spotting scope. It will either be good or cheap.

maxicon
04-10-2007, 8:51 PM
If you don't mind looking at your target inverted through the telescope, then go for it.

I can see the post now:

"The more I adjust my scope, the further off I shoot! Are the markings on the knobs reversed?!?"

scottj
04-11-2007, 12:02 PM
This unit comes with an erecting prism.

swift
04-11-2007, 6:36 PM
I bought a telescope as a cheap spotting scope. I thought it was a great deal, but it was almost impossible to focus at 100 yards. I bought a spotting scope and the telescope sits in my garage.

Parag
04-12-2007, 9:29 PM
If you don't mind looking at your target inverted through the telescope, then go for it. Telescopes are really poor for spotting scopes.

Depends on the scope and more specifically, the eye-pieces. Mine came with a 45-degree right-side-up viewer and with the right eye-pieces to give 25x to 50x magnification plus a 2x adapter. And with a nice large 80mm primary lens.

It does need a much sturdier tripod and mount. I had the former but the ball-head, which works great for my cameras, just isn't suitable for this scope's weight. So I've picked up a simpler pan-head for it. A table-top tripod doesn't work too well either.

If I'm going to haul it around in the car to a range, the weight doesn't matter. If I was going to carry it into the field, I'd want something a lot smaller, lighter, and weather proof. And preferably carried by someone else. :)

-- Parag