PDA

View Full Version : My new dedicated AR 22/17

thomye
04-10-2007, 12:37 PM
I got my Olyarms 22lr conversion system last week. I put it together but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I might head out to my local indoor since it's now a rimfire.

Here's a pic of it:
http://www.thomye.com/applications/mig/albums/Shooting/2006-08-15_Cali_Legal_Lower/IMG_1885.jpg

Here is a pic of the system itself:
http://www.thomye.com/applications/mig/albums/Shooting/2007-01/partner.jpg

Now, my only question is this. being that it is a rimfire, i know that most of the rules we obide by regarding OLL's don't apply: detachable mag, sb23 features, etc.

But what classifies a gun? The parts (upper, grip, etc), the lower, or a specific combination? my guess is the latter since an OLL with a detachable mag but without sb23 parts is just a long rifle. right?

with my dedicated rimfire upper, the entire detachable mag is a moot point. i think the law reads "centerfire". so i should be able to do anything i want with my rifle in regards to sb23 parts. Also, what exactly is the rule on capacity of rounds for a rimfire. is it still 10rds?

thanks

Fjold
04-10-2007, 12:43 PM
I
But what classifies a gun? The parts (upper, grip, etc), the lower, or a specific combination? my guess is the latter since an OLL with a detachable mag but without sb23 parts is just a long rifle. right?

In the case of that gun, the lower receiver classes it as a gun. Whether you put a centerfire or rimfire upper on it the lower receiver is the gun. If you buy a lower and install the LPK with the pistol grip and an empty magazine well, you have created an "Assault Weapon" even without an upper installed.

jumbopanda
04-10-2007, 1:12 PM
In the case of that gun, the lower receiver classes it as a gun. Whether you put a centerfire or rimfire upper on it the lower receiver is the gun. If you buy a lower and install the LPK with the pistol grip and an empty magazine well, you have created an "Assault Weapon" even without an upper installed.

Wrong. This has been gone over many many times. The lower receiver is a "gun", but it is neither centerfire nor rimfire on its own, and it is debatable as to whether or not its even semi-auto. If it is not semi-auto and centerfire, then the open magwell and pistol grip do not make it an assault weapon.

thomye
04-10-2007, 2:39 PM
here's a scary issue (maybe i'm overly concerned). when i first looked into this gun, Cheaper than Dirt had it but wouldn't sell to CA. after much ado about nothing, i just figured they sucked. Olyarms shipped it no problem. straight to my door. When i got it, guess what it came with:

a 30rd mag (the real reason why CTD wouldn't ship it to CA).

What the hell, am i now subject to trouble. i didn't buy a 30rd mag, i didn't even ask for one, i just got it. yikes. What is the rule on a 30rd mag? it is the only mag that can house the 10rd 22 adapter magazine for my conversion kit. what do i do? i don't want to use it for 223 i don't even want to own it, but my gun is worthless without it. :(

help me please better understand the ownership of 30rd mags. by the way, i have like 10 of them already from back in 1989. i can't use them since i don't own a registed AW. But i do have them in an box somewhere in my moms garage. I can easliy explain them but this new one has a date stamp of 06. not sure how i would explain that.

Fjold
04-10-2007, 2:41 PM
Wrong. This has been gone over many many times. The lower receiver is a "gun", but it is neither centerfire nor rimfire on its own, and it is debatable as to whether or not its even semi-auto. If it is not semi-auto and centerfire, then the open magwell and pistol grip do not make it an assault weapon.

It's going to be an interpretation issue. Since we DROS the lowers as long guns I don't have the pistol grip installed on my built lower in the safe. Maybe that's too paranoid since you could always build it with no gas block. I'll have to think about that one.

FatKatMatt
04-10-2007, 2:46 PM
here's a scary issue (maybe i'm overly concerned). when i first looked into this gun, Cheaper than Dirt had it but wouldn't sell to CA. after much ado about nothing, i just figured they sucked. Olyarms shipped it no problem. straight to my door. When i got it, guess what it came with:

a 30rd mag (the real reason why CTD wouldn't ship it to CA).

What the hell, am i now subject to trouble. i didn't buy a 30rd mag, i didn't even ask for one, i just got it. yikes. What is the rule on a 30rd mag? it is the only mag that can house the 10rd 22 adapter magazine for my conversion kit. what do i do? i don't want to use it for 223 i don't even want to own it, but my gun is worthless without it. :(

help me please better understand the ownership of 30rd mags. by the way, i have like 10 of them already from back in 1989. i can't use them since i don't own a registed AW. But i do have them in an box somewhere in my moms garage. I can easliy explain them but this new one has a date stamp of 06. not sure how i would explain that.

It is a felony to create, manufacture, import, sell, etc a magazine over 10 rounds in the state of Commiefornia. If I were you, I would destroy it, and convert one of your pre-ban mags to use in your new AR-22.

Oswald2001
04-10-2007, 6:43 PM
Is it legal to destroy the mag by disassembling it?

And giving the parts to someone else as replacement parts?

Maybe give one person the mag body and another person the spring, follower and base plate?

jumbopanda
04-10-2007, 6:44 PM
Is it legal to destroy the mag by disassembling it?

And giving the parts to someone else as replacement parts?

Maybe give one person the mag body and another person the spring, follower and base plate?

Yes; you can even keep all of the parts for yourself if you want.

thomye
04-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Yes; you can even keep all of the parts for yourself if you want.

if that's the case, could i remove the spring and permanently attach the 22 adapter mag by puting screws in to hold it. is the 30 body legal provided it can't actuate rounds?

jumbopanda
04-11-2007, 12:42 AM
if that's the case, could i remove the spring and permanently attach the 22 adapter mag by puting screws in to hold it. is the 30 body legal provided it can't actuate rounds?

The Oly Arms conversion is a reproduction of the Army's old M261 conversion system, which I own. Those mag inserts are designed to move around a bit, and if you screw it, the mag may not be aligned properly when inserted

tygerpaw
04-11-2007, 8:05 PM
How much does this upper cost? Does it function good?

grammaton76
04-11-2007, 8:17 PM

You can indeed use those existing mags... just use a Monsterman or U-15 style build with no prohibited features (i.e. pistol grips, collapsible stocks, etc), and there's no legal problem whatsoever with your use of those mags. This is of course a seperate tangent altogether.

I would recommend taking apart the mag that came with your kit. However, if you happen to have a mag in your box of 10 that's got a body in bad shape... no problem, just use the new body. California does not actually require that any part of your original magazine remain forever... you just aren't supposed to end up with more mags than you started with. So you have 10 full cap mags plus one full set of parts for reconditioning any bad springs, bent bodies, etc etc etc.

I would use the 22LR setup in one of your pre-ban mag tubes.

thomye
04-11-2007, 11:40 PM
How much does this upper cost? Does it function good?

I paid $530 or so. i can't remember exactly. i mostly got it cuz i wanted something that could shoot 17HM2 or 17HMR. the olyarms system shoots the smaller of the two (17HM2). it also shoots 22lr with a sleeve swap which i just tired. it was relatively easy. the only thing is, the upper is a tight fit on my LAR bottom. guess that's actually good since i dont' need an acuwedge.

i haven't fired it yet but will give a range report as soon as i take it out.

thomye
04-11-2007, 11:42 PM
by the way, thanks everyone for the advise and wisdom.