PDA

View Full Version : Is it Legal To Shoot Here?

RANGER295
03-10-2012, 7:09 AM
How do you know for sure if it is legal to shoot in a given area? I live on some property that is zoned AG40 which means that in theory the land can not be split into parcels smaller than 40 acres and is supposed to be used primarily for agriculture. Before the current zoning, there were a bunch of +/- five acre parcels that were created and houses built on them. I live on one and share a fence line with two of theses properties. I have checked and they are zoned agricultural not rural residential.

So here is the question, would it be legal to shoot here if done safely. One neighbor recently got pissed at another neighbor for shooting on their property and threatened to call the sheriff. The complaining neighbor claims that because there are so many houses nearby that it is illegal.

I have been thinking about either putting a berm on my property to shoot at or building a bullet trap and making an indoor range (inside my shop) but do not want any part of anything that is illegal.

SanPedroShooter
03-10-2012, 7:36 AM
Call the Sheriff? They are the ones you will be dealing with, even if they just think its illegal. I would find out their opinion first. Also, I think there are some minimum distance req's that must be met from roads, houses etc.. In every state I have lived in, most incorporated cities have no shooting ordanances, so you need to be outside the city line.

I would call the Sheriff.

taperxz
03-10-2012, 7:51 AM
Its always been my understanding that when property is designated "AG" that it means it is eligible for property tax reductions on the areas where AG is grown, raised. or produced. Otherwise you would be rural res or just flat out rural. At least thats the way it is in my county. It really has nothing at all to do with whether you can shoot there or not.

r3dn3ck
03-10-2012, 8:39 AM
for the most part (and this is not everywhere, especially in SoCal) if you're outside city limits AND on private property and not being otherwise dangerous you're good to go. Be sure, call your CSO

Decoligny
03-10-2012, 8:06 PM
If it isn't illegal to discharge a firearm, either by state law or local ordinance, you should be fine. The distance limits are in the F&G laws and end with the statement "while hunting".

GrizzlyGuy
03-10-2012, 8:15 PM
Click here (http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=16510) and read your county's code. This particular part of the code is the one that will most likely provide the go/no-go for your situation:

4-2102 - LIMITATION.

It is further provided that such guns as may be lawfully discharged, as stated in Section 4-2101 must not be discharged except when the person discharging is at a distance of more than two hundred (200) yards from any conveyance or horse or person except such person, conveyance, or horse with which the said person is traveling; nor shall it be lawful to discharge any such firearms within two hundred (200) yards of any house, barn, or stock running loose in any field or public road without permission being first obtained from the owner of such house or stock.

My county has something like that, but the distance limitation is only 50 yards from someone else's house/building so I can legally shoot in my front yard.