PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a new maglock

DedEye
04-10-2007, 10:45 AM
I like the fact that the bullet button lets you drop magazines, but I have one qualm with it.
I like the fact that the Prince50 can be quickly converted into a standard mag release button, but I don't like that you can't drop mags with it.

Is there a way to combine the two mag locks into a single lock, where there would be a bullet button type hole in addition to a set screw that would convert the button into a standard mag release for when you take it to free states? I don't have very good artistic skills so I can't draw out my idea, and my engineering skills are even worse, but could someone take this idea and run with it? It would be the best of both worlds.

Scarecrow Repair
04-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Someone else thought up this idea but for the wrong reasons. Get a strong cylindrical magnet that will fit in the BB hole and peek out far enough to not need a tool. As I recall, the button is magnetic, the surroundings not, and the magnet becomes an extension to the button. Would look a trifle odd, but it would work. I haven;t tried it, maybe the magnetic aren't right, but that's for someone else to find out.

The original idea was that this would still be a tool, but that was shot down as way too risky, since it would be part of the rifle by most people's definition, and completely violated both the letter and the spirit of the law requiring a tool to drop the mag.

scewper
04-10-2007, 12:33 PM
I remember this idea coming up not too long ago. Back in January I made a few bullet button type mag locks of my own and thought up some ideas on how to make a hybrid of the two, bullet buttons and the original prince50 kit, after reading that other thread. If someone knows cad or has access to a cnc machine, I wouldn't mind sharing. Send me a PM.

rorschach
04-10-2007, 2:00 PM
I remember this idea coming up not too long ago. Back in January I made a few bullet button type mag locks of my own and thought up some ideas on how to make a hybrid of the two, bullet buttons and the original prince50 kit, after reading that other thread. If someone knows cad or has access to a cnc machine, I wouldn't mind sharing. Send me a PM.

I believe SemiAutoSam either has, or has access to a CNC. PM him.

DedEye
04-10-2007, 2:38 PM
Whoever makes a prototype of my new, Patented ;), design, I want a free one :D.

scewper
04-10-2007, 4:05 PM
I read your original post wrong. I thought you meant having a bullet button type lock that can be locked shut with a screw of some kind, like the other person I was talking about. A bullet button type lock that could also function as a regular mag button could also be possible. However, the space in the receiver in which the mag release button moves in and out is so small this could be very difficult to produce. I just now sketched up some designs of a device that could either do a bullet button type lock and regular button release, or even all 3 methods(prince50 locking style too), however all 3 might be too overkill and only for the super paranoid. It's useless locking it up all the way, with a screw, when you need a tool to release the magazine anyway.

626Tony
04-10-2007, 4:26 PM
remember to patent

hoffmang
04-10-2007, 4:35 PM
It is relatively tractable to have one lock perform both the bullet button and the allen screw lock, but its hard to have it then be convertible into a functioning button release in a free state.

Mine is going to be capable of 1 and 2, but not 3. I've had some production delays...

-Gene

JPglee1
04-10-2007, 6:45 PM
remember to patent

Yah..it only costs about $5000 or so to hire a patent attorney and file a patent application..make sure to do as many as you can ;)

LOL :D

JP

DedEye
04-10-2007, 7:00 PM
The idea isn't to be super paranoid and have multiple locking methods. Rahter, the hope was that you could use the Bullet Button aspect to drop your attached 10rd mag, and that it would have a small screw hole that would make the entire button act as the mag release button for when you're in free states.

scewper
04-10-2007, 7:13 PM
The idea isn't to be super paranoid and have multiple locking methods. Rahter, the hope was that you could use the Bullet Button aspect to drop your attached 10rd mag, and that it would have a small screw hole that would make the entire button act as the mag release button for when you're in free states.

I was referring to the set screw to lock the whole thing, with the bullet button type actuator. I remember at least one person, maybe a couple who wanted a setup like this. Anyway, I agree that a regular button + bullet button type lock would be better.

tenpercentfirearms
04-10-2007, 7:43 PM
Who wants a button that does all three when you can buy a receiver for all three designs and uppers as well? You guys just don't get it. Don't try and fight Black Rifle Disease, just get it and spread it. BUY BUY BUY! :D

Scarecrow Repair
04-10-2007, 9:10 PM
Don't try and fight Black Rifle Disease, just get it and spread it. BUY BUY BUY! :D

Sounds like a good idea. I wonder where one might do that?

:-)

FMJBT
04-11-2007, 12:03 AM
How about a small cover for the mag release button that would have a small hole for a "tool" to pass through to release the mag. The cover could be held on by 2 small screws, and could be removed easily when out of state.

hoffmang
04-11-2007, 12:04 AM
FMJBT,

That will work if you don't mind tapping your lower. I don't think a lot of folks like that idea.

-Gene

rorschach
04-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Yah..it only costs about $5000 or so to hire a patent attorney and file a patent application..make sure to do as many as you can ;)

LOL :D

JP

Ya really... My HK lock was "pat. pend." till I found out how much it costs!!